Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How To Degrease Cooker Hood Filters?

• 24-03-2008 11:35am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Neff Cooker hood with metal grill / filters. Is there any domestic chemical that will break down the grease. Tried diesel and nearly everything under the kitchen sink along with about 10 kettles of boiling water to degrease them this morning.
    Happy enough with the result but it took me about an hour!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Dishwasher. Caustic soda bath if they are stainless steel. Avoid aluminium in caustic soda - it dissolves.

Edit. That is assuming they can be removed. I found a sharp chisel is useful if there is an accumulation of thick hard grease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Ya the dishwasher should do the trick alright if they are removable.

Edit: Just noticed the same topic posted on the BBC Food message board. Harder work without a dishwasher but you got some good advice there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Kat1170

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Washing powder seems to be the one and also to clean them more regularly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Bread soda is fantastic for degreasing - I usually make up a paste with breadsoda, Fairy Liquid and hot water and work it into whatever I'm cleaning. Leave it for half an hour or so and wash off with hot water. You might need to repeat it to get it squeaky clean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭Invincible

The best product,I've seen,FOIL,made by Wilmar,Wilson & Meier,unit 4,Kylemore park Nth,Dublin 10,ph.6264174,not sure what hardware store it was got in,maybe give them a call to find local stockist.

Advertisement