Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Steakhouse - Steak & Grape

Options
  • 24-03-2008 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭

Has anyone tried the new Steak restaurant in the Haymarket in Carlow (near the rowing club)?

I tried to book a table for last night but they were booked out.

HAs anybody tried it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

didn't even know it existed, but must try it so..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Only heard of this last week too. I will definitely be paying a visit over the next week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

a taxi driver told me about it 2 weeks ago when I was going to the 7 oaks for steak but I had forgotten all about it. Thanks for the reminder

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

Well the first one of us that tries it - post a review?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

Friends of mine went on Sunday night said it was lovely.

• Advertisement

Any ideas on prices?

fitzyshea wrote: »
    Friends of mine went on Sunday night said it was lovely.

Ok bit more info from my friends food is ok, prices good, staff a bit slow but thats to be expected as its only after opening.

fitzyshea wrote: »
    Ok bit more info from my friends food is ok, prices good, staff a bit slow but thats to be expected as its only after opening.

food only ok? how so?

patrickc wrote: »
    food only ok? how so?

Didnt taste great was present well but not mush in it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I ate there last weekend, and it was very nice. There were a few early-days glitches (some menu items not available yet) but for the most part it was very good.

Food ordered - I had chicken and ribs (nice basting and tastes like it was BBQed). Some people had steaks which were perfect. Salad was beautiful (large portion and very fresh). Chips were good (thick steakhouse variety, standard).

Dad had a hot rock steak - they bring the steak out (seasoned, but raw) and a hot lava rock to cook it on. The rock is over 400 degrees hot (a lawsuit waiting to happen!!), and you cut the steak up and cook it in strips yourself.

Interestingly, desserts are icecream only. About 10 flavours, and you get to choose 3 scoops and a sauce for your your money. The sauce is hot and comes in a dish that is heated underneath by a candle (nice touch). I had white chocolate (x2) and honeycomb, with a hot raspberry sauce. Delicious.

Price was slightly above average I thought. Starters up to €10, steaks were €24-€30 depending on type, and chicken was about €17. Desserts were €5.50 (I think).

All in all, a good meal, and everyone said they'd go back again.

I should also say that the restaurant itself is immaculate and very tastefully decorated (not your typical steakhouse with wooden seats and paper tablecloths). Well spaced, well lit, big windows, and a nice view. It'd be a great place for a date.

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    I ate there last weekend, and it was very nice. There were a few early-days glitches (some menu items not available yet) but for the most part it was very good.

Food ordered - I had chicken and ribs (nice basting and tastes like it was BBQed). Some people had steaks which were perfect. Salad was beautiful (large portion and very fresh). Chips were good (thick steakhouse variety, standard).

Dad had a hot rock steak - they bring the steak out (seasoned, but raw) and a hot lava rock to cook it on. The rock is over 400 degrees hot (a lawsuit waiting to happen!!), and you cut the steak up and cook it in strips yourself.

Interestingly, desserts are icecream only. About 10 flavours, and you get to choose 3 scoops and a sauce for your your money. The sauce is hot and comes in a dish that is heated underneath by a candle (nice touch). I had white chocolate (x2) and honeycomb, with a hot raspberry sauce. Delicious.

Price was slightly above average I thought. Starters up to €10, steaks were €24-€30 depending on type, and chicken was about €17. Desserts were €5.50 (I think).

All in all, a good meal, and everyone said they'd go back again.

I should also say that the restaurant itself is immaculate and very tastefully decorated (not your typical steakhouse with wooden seats and paper tablecloths). Well spaced, well lit, big windows, and a nice view. It'd be a great place for a date.

thanks for the comprehensive review there MR e will try it when i get a chance definitely

has anyone got a phone number for them to book?

cant find it online or the golden pages

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

Mr E,
    That sounds pretty good, now I'm REALLY looking forward to going there for a meal. Thanks for the pretty comprehensive review.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭rusalka

Whereabouts in Carlow is it?

Anyone got the phone number?

Thanks!:)

Haymarket, just down from Ewings bar.
    Don't think they're in the phonebook yet, try 11850.

Have all heard the story about the other restaurant down around Haymarket?

Have all heard the story about the other restaurant down around Haymarket?

nope heard nothing

The is an Italian restaurant at Haymarket. The owner of which has been extradited (if thats the word?) to England where he was wanted for ... I cant remember exctly what for but it was along the lines of child abuse.

His restaurants were featured in a paper and somebody recognised him as being wanted in England and reported him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

the iitalian is supposed to be nice, havent been in there personally, but heard it was good.

the steak house, you cant miss head for the river, its opposite the boat house. up tat little river side road, that you can only get one car up! cant thinkof the name of it!

The is an Italian restaurant at Haymarket. The owner of which has been extradited (if thats the word?) to England where he was wanted for ... I cant remember exctly what for but it was along the lines of child abuse.

His restaurants were featured in a paper and somebody recognised him as being wanted in England and reported him.

i thought his restaurant was the one on tullow street...

no thats was another guys, its giovannis behind o'loughlins

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

The number's 9179717. Ate there last weekend, it was a bit pricey alright.
    Starters: €4.50 - €7.50
    Mains: €10.50- €33.50
    Steaks: €22.50 - €28.50
    Desserts: €5.50 + €2.50 for the sauce
    (They kindly let us take a menu with us :D )
    Wasn't exactly my cupan tae, I'd the tamarind glazed turkey burger, wasn't overly gone on the marinate they used. But the view was great, watching swans gracefully fly and descend along the Barrow.

We asked for a table for four by the window and got told they only have tables for 2/3 along the windows. It wasn't particularly busy at the time so we did feel as though they could've offered to put two tables together. Service was a little hit and miss but wasn't offputtingly bad... if ye get me :D

Wouldn't be in a huge rush to head back and have a meal there, but I can definitely see myself heading back on a warm summer's evening to have the ice-cream and admire the view. If you're trying it out, definitely get the dessert!

I'd the tamarind glazed turkey burger,

you went to a steakhouse and got a turkey burger??
    I'm sorry, that just doesn't make sense to me........

ShayK1 wrote: »
    you went to a steakhouse and got a turkey burger??
    I'm sorry, that just doesn't make sense to me........

Burn her!

ate there on fri. service was a bit all over the place, but food was spot on.

had calamari and ribs. absolutely beautiful. da had a "hot rock" steak, you cook it yourself on a rock, great little thing, cooks it beautifully to your specific liking

aynon wrote: »
    ate there on fri. service was a bit all over the place, but food was spot on.

da had a "hot rock" steak, you cook it yourself on a rock, great little thing, cooks it beautifully to your specific liking

again I've a problem with that... I'm not one for going out to a restaurant and paying €20 - €25 to cook my own steak... I could do that at home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

What you cook it yourself??? Sounds strange!!

If you intentionally undercook it and get food poisoning can you sue the restaurant for food poisoning lol.. Health and safety wouldn't be best pleased lol:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

stick-dan wrote: »
    What you cook it yourself??? Sounds strange!!

If you intentionally undercook it and get food poisoning can you sue the restaurant for food poisoning lol.. Health and safety wouldn't be best pleased lol:)

Not much of a steak eater, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Hal1 wrote: »

Nothing like a well done steak, God damn you, you've made me want steak now!:(lol

Steak isn't like chicken, you can eat it almost raw (a friend of mine orders it 'blue', which is one step above rare - you pretty much sear it either side and thats it - its red on the inside)

• Advertisement

Hal1 wrote: »

hahaha +1
    you can't under cook a steak

Advertisement