Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would this help me get into the Guards ?

• 24-03-2008 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

Im mainly looking for the opinion of guards here, but all constructive comments are welcome.

Im in 6th year but plan on joining the Gardai in a few years. Obliously going to collage and getting some sort of degree will improve my chances of getting in. There is a particular course in Waterford (WIT) which seems very interesting, and would hopefully prove useful for a carrer in An Garda Síochána.

Its called Criminal Justice Studies (<-click)

My question is, would this be useful for getting into the gaurds? Is it too much like the course you do in templemore? And finally, in your opinion, would any of the stuff I learn in this course in Waterford prove useful on the job. ie ''Critical Thinking'' and ''Foundations of Psychology'' might come in useful for questioning people etc

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

I've asked this question to Gardai before, and others have asked the same question, for similar courses, on similar message boards.

The answers from serving people are usually involve answers like these:

1) Do something that will get you a job if you leave the police, or dont even get in after doing it.
    2) You're taught everything you need to know in Templemore / Garnerville / Police Academy, so don't waste your time.
    3) Any degree will help you in.
    4) Do something that they dont have, do something to increase what you'll know as a Garda.

I'm sure some actual / former gardai will be along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Im mainly looking for the opinion of guards here, but all constructive comments are welcome.

Im in 6th year but plan on joining the Gardai in a few years. Obliously going to collage and getting some sort of degree will improve my chances of getting in. There is a particular course in Waterford (WIT) which seems very interesting, and would hopefully prove useful for a carrer in An Garda Síochána.

Its called Criminal Justice Studies (<-click)

My question is, would this be useful for getting into the gaurds? Is it too much like the course you do in templemore? And finally, in your opinion, would any of the stuff I learn in this course in Waterford prove useful on the job. ie ''Critical Thinking'' and ''Foundations of Psychology'' might come in useful for questioning people etc

Thanks in advance.

Important comment. Dont limit yourself to just college then a career. Get out, experience life and that will stand to you far better than a course you dont really want or need.

As for this course, I did a criminal law course and I think they were fairly impressed that I had legal knowledge prior to going in but they are also impressed with genuine maturity and work experience plus the knowwledge that you know what a working life is really like.

Your only 17 or 18, do a course you really like and can use (lots of various courses can be handy in policing anyway) then do Oz or the US, live your life a bit first because the Gardai is a demanding career and you have your whole life to work! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

A stint at Uni won't do you any harm as the most important trait you'll need as a policeman is the ability to talk to people. What you study is 'academic' really, pun intended. Working on your people skills and getting a bit of life experience under your belt are more important than the topic studied.

I'd a degree in law before I joined the police but to be perfectly honest it didn't make my life a great deal easier in training nor does it help much on the street, but it does look good on your file when applying for jobs or promotion ;) Cut a long story short you'll learn what you need to know, the theory at least, at training school. The rest you'll learn on the street.

As sunnyjiim says if you're going to uni study something you'll enjoy and find interesting (this will make it easier to study) and look for something that'll be useful elsewhere other than the police, in case you change your mind or take an instant dislike to criminal justice. It does happen.

Ultimately a qualification of any sort is valuable, but no matter what its in it won't make one jot of difference to an application to AGS. That will depend on how you perform in interview, assessment and medical/physical/security checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

I was looking at this but decided to go do nursing instead.

Its still on my CAO but fairly far down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Nursing? Excellent choice! It's a type of career that's demanded abroad and; should you not like Policing; you can always go back to it and carry over that pension. Should you remain in Ireland, of course ;)

• Advertisement

Yea, also 7000 female students, 700 male, as one mate put it "damn theyre good odds :p"

DFB is the other choice, so extra few skills for use in the ambulance

As my ma said, ill join anything that gives me a uniform lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Thanks for the replys. Im not just doing Criminal Justice because it may help in the Guards, but the actual subjects studied really interest me. I also have Psychology down on my CAO (as #2) as again its something that intrueges me.
    metman wrote: »
    the most important trait you'll need as a policeman is the ability to talk to people. Working on your people skills and getting a bit of life experience under your belt are more important than the topic studied.

Communicating with others is definatly something I need work on, as my people skills arent the best. Im 18 now and will be 21 finishing collage and proberly 22/23 when applying for AGS. By then I'll hopefully be more confident and have matured phyically, mentally and emotionally. Good advice!
    Dont limit yourself to just college then a career. Get out, experience life and that will stand to you far better than a course you dont really want or need. Do Oz or the US, live your life a bit first because the Gardai is a demanding career and you have your whole life to work! :D

Yea, i'd love to go to Japan, maybe spend a year working over there, but we'll see how things play out over the next coulpe of years. A friend got transition year work experience in a Garda Station and was given the same advice: Do your travelling before joining, as you wont get a chance afterwards.

dont put all your eggs into the one basket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

I plan on doing a 1 or 2 year course on Sports and Rec/Sports and Exercise..just wondering would it look good in the interview?I'd love if they did like the fact I'd be qualified to be a fitness instructor..

Also,I'm going to do one of these courses simply because I want to,but if they could benefit my application that would be fantastic!I'm 17 and am waiting to get cleared for RDF,so that combined w/ a Sports and Rec qualification would boost my chances??It's just all the worries about not getting accepted etc,as I've wanted to be a Garda for a few years now!But I'm not saying it is AGS or nothing..my second choice would be the Army.If any Gardai/Police Officers could offer advice that would be great as I'm sure I'm not the only person with these considerations and worries!:o
    Thanks
    eroo:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I don't know if it is me or what but I feel that going to college or not doesn't matter that much when trying for the guards. Having a course done will certainly add one or two positive notches during an interview but it is really maturity and use of common sense is what they are more interested in.

I am not a great example to use but when I applied I was 30. I didn't attend college after school 'cos it just didn't interest me. I started working as a floor sweeper at 18 and worked a good few different jobs till I was a supervisor in a major multi-national company and still without a qualification. I will admit I did work hard for what I have and I think it has stood to me so far. The Super at the interview asked me why didn't I go to college and my answer was that all the experience I gained through the years has gotten me where I am today. A man who is able to communicate effectively and has and uses common sense in everyday situations. Afterwards I was told the Super said I was the best candidate he had ever interviewed and I'm not bragging.

The comments and suggestions already given by other posters is bang on. Live your life a bit first and gain life experience. That can include travel, study or just trying out different jobs to find the right one for you. All of these will gain you experience.

One thing I have learned in my life is "Never say never". When I was young I said I'd never join the guards. I also said I'd never have kids or never marry. All have turned out the opposite.

Always keep your options open.

• Advertisement

Oh another thing i just though of, wonder what nog etc would say but how about giving the reserve a shot during college?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

There's a thread outlining what Karlitsoway1985 thinks about the reserve... :pac:
    Yea, i'd love to go to Japan, maybe spend a year working over there, but we'll see how things play out over the next coulpe of years. A friend got transition year work experience in a Garda Station and was given the same advice: Do your travelling before joining, as you wont get a chance afterwards.

If you want a year in Japan, check out International Business (Japanese) in DCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

sunnyjim wrote: »
    There's a thread outlining what Karlitsoway1985 thinks about the reserve... :pac:

was that reserve Defence Forces or Garda Reserves?

eroo wrote: »
    I plan on doing a 1 or 2 year course on Sports and Rec/Sports and Exercise..just wondering would it look good in the interview?I'd love if they did like the fact I'd be qualified to be a fitness instructor..

Also,I'm going to do one of these courses simply because I want to,but if they could benefit my application that would be fantastic!I'm 17 and am waiting to get cleared for RDF,so that combined w/ a Sports and Rec qualification would boost my chances??It's just all the worries about not getting accepted etc,as I've wanted to be a Garda for a few years now!But I'm not saying it is AGS or nothing..my second choice would be the Army.If any Gardai/Police Officers could offer advice that would be great as I'm sure I'm not the only person with these considerations and worries!:o
    Thanks
    eroo:)

Thanks for hijacking my topic eroo :D just kidding.

Actually, reading your post I see myself! Im in the exact same position as you. I too am in the Army Reserve and have wanted to be a guard for the last two years. I plan to continue my service in the RDF during my collage years. As eroo asked would this get an applicant more brownie points? The Army is also my second choice for a career. I also have worries about not getting in, particularly with my eyesight.

I just scraped into the RDF with my eyesight, hopefully it wont deteriorate any more. Is the Garda eyesight requirements less than the Defence Forces? I cant seem to find the standard on garda.ie

Also whats the story with lazer eye surgery? Would it affect an aplication for AGS?

BTW eroo will you be going on recruit camp (paid course or whatever the new name is) this summer?

In the post about garda interview, its said lasik is fine by gada standards but a no no for rdf

Thanks for hijacking my topic eroo :D just kidding.

Actually, reading your post I see myself! Im in the exact same position as you. I too am in the Army Reserve and have wanted to be a guard for the last two years. I plan to continue my service in the RDF during my collage years. As eroo asked would this get an applicant more brownie points? The Army is also my second choice for a career. I also have worries about not getting in, particularly with my eyesight.

I just scraped into the RDF with my eyesight, hopefully it wont deteriorate any more. Is the Garda eyesight requirements less than the Defence Forces? I cant seem to find the standard on garda.ie

Also whats the story with lazer eye surgery? Would it affect an aplication for AGS?

BTW eroo will you be going on recruit camp (paid course or whatever the new name is) this summer?

http://garda.ie/faq.html#R6

I e-mailed the Garda Press Office and they said laser surgery is acceptable..I almost hit the roof I was so happy when I heard it!My eyesight is ok but I'm going to get the surgery done as I hate wearing glasses,even though I rarely have to wear them!:mad:
    AFAIK,aren't the DF going to change their eyesight policy?

And yes Ludvig,I'll be on Bere Island,2nd camp dates!:)

Thanks for the link. The eyesight standard for the Guards is the same as that for the Army :( Laser Eye surgery it is so!

Where in the name of god is Bere Island!! Never heard of it before!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

lehanemore wrote: »
    was that reserve Defence Forces or Garda Reserves?

Reserve defence forces and there is no thread about it, I simple mentioned it at the end of a post refering to the fulltimers.

Reserve Gardai are fine to work with as people but the whole system is a waste of time from a policing point of view except in rare circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 tintin

The guards are actually pretty good when it comes to laser surgery....the amount of people in templemore who've had it done is actually unreal!! I know plenty of people who had there medical, but whose eyesight wasnt up to scratch..they then had the surgery and produced a report from their consultant and were allowed in, no problems. As for college, do something you enjoy, thats the main thing, dosnt matter if its garda related or not...nothing worse than doing a course just for the sake of it. Dont forget though, getting a few honours in your leaving cert (1 grade b and 2 grade c's in english OR irish AND maths, plus one other subject) entitles you to jump one paygrade and having a degree under your belt entitles you to jump 2-3 grades in the payscale once you've finished probation :D makes a difference!!!

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    Oh another thing i just though of, wonder what nog etc would say but how about giving the reserve a shot during college?

If someone wanted to join the reserves during college I'd say go for it. The only thing is to make sure it doesn't affect your study i.e. study comes first, then reserves.
    Personally I haven't had any dealings with the Garda Reserve but I do respect a person who volunteers their time to do something good. Providing of course they are doing the job with the right intentions.

• Advertisement

Im going to this open day in the garda college on the 16th. Should give me an opportunity to ask more questions and see what the place is like.

Let us know how you get on will you. I've my french oral that day so cant take it off

Let us know how you get on will you. I've my french oral that day so cant take it off

Same here FFS!!!!!!!!

eroo wrote: »
    Same here FFS!!!!!!!!

ha ha

That's a pity 'cos I'm down there and could have shown ye around. The open days are very good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

nog you're now going to be inundated with requets from boardsies begging you to show them around............................will you gimmie a tour! hahaha

Ah darn, you wouldnt be one of the current phase 5 nog would you??

Here any of them parker pens floating about grab me one, got one at the careers thing in croaker its great, even has a catchy slogan on it "Excellent people providing policing excellence"

Is there one every year?? Be easier to skive a day off college and take a spin down next year

i am on phase 5. looking forwards to burning my diary:rolleyes:

they have the parker pens in the shop but i think they are about €5 each. haven't been able to nick one yet:)

nog you're now going to be inundated with requets from boardsies begging you to show them around............................will you gimmie a tour! hahaha

following conditions apply:

must be female, and
    no facial hair

:D

TheNog wrote: »

must be female, and
    no facial hair

Bugger
    i am on phase 5. looking forwards to burning my diary:rolleyes:

they have the parker pens in the shop but i think they are about €5 each. haven't been able to nick one yet:)

€5, robbery, although chuffed got one free off the soundest guard i ever met (well she was trying to encourage me to join, looker too)

• Advertisement

must be female, and
    no facial hair

I wonder how your g/f would feel if she saw that?:p

Fecking oral!!The only consolation is I have been down there before,but I have never been to an open day.What goes on at the open day?I've seen a Garda heli down there,courtesy of RTE News.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement