Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedigree or Moggy

Options
  • 24-03-2008 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

I made a right fool of myself recently :D I saw the OP post about his cat going missing and I regularly drop of food to a cat rescue and saw a cat it's double.
    There was also a kitten there with folded ears and I let another poster know.
    It is one of them scottish folded cats.

With great delight I informed the girl that someone was looking for their cat and another person was looking for a folded ear cat :D
    They are her own cats, she has 2 of them burmese and recently was given a scottish fold as a present from her family, i felt a right old fool. :(

At first I was shocked that someone who does so much for stray cats and kittens had 3 pedigree cats and I think she sensed my feelings.

Her cats were bought after researching the breed from ethical breeders, she said that ethical breeders don't contribute to the stray cat problem, but did point out that there are some folks breeding cats like they breed dogs is puppy farms, so you do need to be very careful.

She loves the breed and wanted one so she got, she asked did I have a problem with that, I'm a coward and said no :D

Kittens either come neutered or on a non active register which means they are not for breeding, her cats are neutered the folded cat is waiting to be neutered.

I couldn't buy a cat when they are so many unwanted but I do see why others may want to, so the question I'm asking is do you think it's the right image for a rescue to have 3 pedigree cats, she says she gets lots of negative comments from some people. Or is it OK to buy a cat when there are so many needing good homes ;) Now it's not just pedigree cat she owns, she has other moggy cats blind and deaf and the old and ill.

Have to say the folded kitten was just a delight.
    Seb

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

In all fairness Kitten Adoption probably do more for cat welfare in this country than all the other so called rescues combined, so I say fcuk the begrudgers:D

I'd have no problem buying a cat or dog that I wanted, all my current pets are rescues but I don't pat myself on the back because of it, the right ones just happened to come up otherwise I would have bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Why should it matter if KA has 3 pedigree cats? Is it not a level of snobbery to suggest that they should only have moggies because they're a rescue? KA have taken in pedigree cats in the past and members of the public have adopted them. It's not like they keep the nice ones for themselves or anything :D Most of the rescued cats that stay in KA are the really old decrepit ones that no one else wants anyway.

I think it's all very well and good to promote rescue but we should also remember that good breeders are important too. There's nothing wrong with going to a good breeder of any animal and no one should feel that they've done something wrong by not going to a rescue. I'd be the first to suggest a rescue, and am known as more than a little mad by my entire family lol, but I'd never discriminate against someone who took the time to find a decent breeder. We should be working towards a world in which companion animals don't end up in rescue. We shouldn't need pounds etc. Eventually we should have breeders with waiting lists and people matched to the right pet for them.

I have 8 moggies (6 rescued, of which 2 are from KA & 1 from boards.ie) and 1 pedigree (a Devon Rex). I'll hopefully be taking in 2 foster cats in the next week or so from KA. Should I hang my head in shame for having a pedigree cat too? :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Btw - if anyone needs to borrow my soapbox, please do feel free lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Ismishacats

hadook wrote: »
    Btw - if anyone needs to borrow my soapbox, please do feel free lol :D

LOL I think you use it well ;)

I've been off the boards for a while and still the KA peds are a bone of contention... and to think I was compliant in it all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Bottom line is this is a private rescue and I think whatever pets she has is her own buisness they are seperate from the rescue side as these are her own pets.

It's not like she's buying hoards of peds and breeding them, she loves cats and has a fondness for particular breeds many rescues have the occasional pb dog or cat but they certainly do more for cross and mixed breed animals than joe soap does. As long as they are gotten via a responsible breeder don't see the problem. If anything people like this know exactly what to look for in a healthy well rounded pure bred animal and know how to weed out the dodgy ones from years of experience.

The public are far worse for buying animals from badly run pet shops, for encouraging back yard breeding and buying from breeders who haven't a clue or pay a ridiculous amount for an animal. They don't research the breeders and the public are responsible for all the strays in the first place.

Rescues are the ones who have to clean the mess up and if their reward after many many years in rescue is to have a certain breed that they source from a responsible breeder then why not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement