Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

confession-i falied to change tyre.

Options
  • 24-03-2008 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

:eek: OK, my car got punctured today. After fumbling for 10 mts, at last, I found jack and other things in boot. I was wearing jeans and found very tough to sit on knees or squat to put jack. Finally i was able to lift car (enough-i think) and than i opened four nuts and safety pin but I COULD NOT BRING THE TYRE OUT. :confused:
    I had to call car rescue to change tyre. I don't remember when i did change tyre last time in my car. May be years.
    I am 31 Male and call myself healthy.
    Is it common, i want to hear from studs who failed to change tyre.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

You had a bad day.......just put it down to that.

ohhhhhh, and get a can of tyre foam for the next time:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Don't feel bad. I've had to call the AA out for this myself. :D

[Excuses start here]

- Wheel nuts on the Passat seem to be glued on!
    - I was wearing a suit at the time
    - I'm paying for the service, might as well use it!

[end Excuses] :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

I remember some of the biggest bodybuilders in dublin took 20 mins trying to get a tyre off a volvo t5, the bolts were out no problem but with a little rust and the constant heating up to red hot and cooling from braking the wheel was practically welded onto the hub. They were kicking it so hard that the car was nearly falling of the jack, someone happened to have a trolley lift and then they could really kick it full strength and it came off.

Last year I saw the same problem inside the fourcourts on a merc that turned out to be owned by a judge. 4 old men were standing around scratching their heads wondering why it wouldn't just lift off when the nuts were out, they nearly had heart attacks when I walked up and gave it a boot! It did the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

confuzed wrote: »
    Finally i was able to lift car (enough-i think) and than i opened four nuts and safety pin but I COULD NOT BRING THE TYRE OUT.

Do you mean you lifted the car before you loosened the nuts with the brace:eek::eek:...that could have been contributary to your problem

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

If its an alloy wheel sometimes theres a reaction between the alloy and the metal on the hub causing the wheel to stick to the hub with some magical power, i had to take a wheel off a corsa recently, and the only way the wheel came off was by lying down on the ground and kicking the wheel hard, even then it took alot of kicking!!if you put a small rub of grease between the mating surfaces(not loads because it could get onto the brakes:eek:) when you refit the wheel it should help for next time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

ninty9er wrote: »
    Do you mean you lifted the car before you loosened the nuts with the brace:eek::eek:...that could have been contributary to your problem

+1. Cannot believe the amount of people I've heard of doing this. Idiocy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Always loosen bolts before lifting car (other way round my bring car down on your foot).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I got called to Athlone at 2am once by a friend who couldn't get a wheel off!!! And he was no 99lb weakling.

Throw a small can of WD40 into your cars toolkit; works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 petes32

I couldn't even loosen the nut to release the spare from underneath the car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

I thought this was a story I would take to my grave but I also have had to call for help with a puncture. I was driving a car that had been sitting idle for the best part of 6 months. Got a puncture on the highway in the winter, it was probably -5C outside and could not for the life of me get the wheel to come off. I called AAA (same as AA but called AAA in the states). Along comes the AAA van, a woman hops out, of course I start with the stream of excuses. She does eventually get it off but it took a while of belting with a rubber mallet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I've never done it myself but a friend had same problem recently... He removed the studs and couldnt get the alloy wheel off... Put back in the studs but left them 2 turns loose. Let the jack down and moved car back/forward a few feet... Jacked car up and wheel was loose..

I'd reckon it was OK as long as you didnt loosen the studs too much, might damage threads or alloys...

Got him going though..

cheers
    bam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

was there not a woman passing that you could have stopped to help you??? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I was wearing a suit at the time
    Certain criterion have to be met before getting a puncture:

1. It must be dark.
    2. It must be raining.
    3. You must be in a hurry.
    4. You must be wearing your best clothes.
    5. You must have wife and young children in the car who are tired and hungry.
    6. You must get the puncture on a narrow, busy and unlit road.
    7. The boot must be full of stuff that requires removal.
    8. The spare wheel must be flat.

You will never get a puncture while trying to pass the time in an empty car on a dual carriageway on a bright sunny afternoon while wearing overalls! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 drop d

It may be tje only time ever, ever, ever, that I will want to be a woman.

No matter what any man says, changing a tire is a pain in the rocks.

Women only have to look helpless and they have it sussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

drop d wrote: »
    changing a tire is a pain in the rocks
    It certainly is........much easier to change the wheel! ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

confuzed wrote: »
    Is it common, i want to hear from studs who failed to change tyre.

Bless your little heart.

You should have asked a passing cheerleader for sympathy.

Next time, RTFM.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

i always advise people to get one of those extendable wheel braces, great for leverage, makes easy work of stubourn nuts. they are pretty cheap too, i think Lidl do them sometimes, as well as other places, €6.99 or so i think mine was. with good quality tyres etc car dont as many punctures now, so it could be a year since the last time the nuts were off and makes them tight.
    or the garage sets them too tight, ok for them with their air guns!

i got that alloy wheel sticking to the hub thing too once, kicked it off i think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I did worse, had a blowout in Toomnevara on a Limerick to Dublin run. Went to get the spare from ther back of the van and noticed it was missing :eek: Lucky I had a motorbike in the back of the van and was able to scoot into Nenagh and get a replacement tyre fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I did worse, had a blowout in Toomnevara on a Limerick to Dublin run. Went to get the spare from ther back of the van and noticed it was missing :eek: Lucky I had a motorbike in the back of the van and was able to scoot into Nenagh and get a replacement tyre fitted.
    Thats the answer, always carry a motorbike around with you:D:D,that was handy!!

Advertisement