Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Dolphins Barn Exchange - Post Upgrade Problems

Options
  • 24-03-2008 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

About two weeks ago BT upgraded my local exchange in Dolphin's barn to provide ADSL 2+ services. The implications for me were to be that I would now have an 8MB 512KB service instead of my current 3MB service...

I should add the 3MB service was perfectly relaible ... prior to the upgrade.

However the upgrade has made a mess of things -

For a full week I had no service at all and had to go through several loops with BT's (ahem) "customer care" and "tech support" before getting any progress ... eventually getting progress when I threatened to move my account.

During the last few days they have downgraded my service to a 1MB G.DMT service to "test" the line ... this was supposed to be a 30 minute test ... after which they were supposed to call me to see if higher rates were possible ... the problem is they never called and have left it at 1MB through Easter ... I called their tech support today to see if they could up the rate only to be told I have to route this request through customer care ... which does not work on Bank Holidays ...

A few questions -

Has anyone else had a similar experience ?

I am presumably paying for this service .... but I'm thinking of requesting a refund for the outage period ... any point in this ?

I'm so fed up at this stage I'm thinking of moving to Chorus/NTL's 6MB service and dumping my phone line altogether in the process getting one of their PVR boxes ...

Does anyone care to comment on their experience with Chorus triple play services with Broadband at 6MB ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

During the last few days they have downgraded my service to a 1MB G.DMT service to "test" the line ... this was supposed to be a 30 minute test ... after which they were supposed to call me to see if higher rates were possible ... the problem is they never called and have left it at 1MB through Easter ... I called their tech support today to see if they could up the rate only to be told I have to route this request through customer care ... which does not work on Bank Holidays ...

Setting a router on g.dmt its normally done to reduce the frequency spectrum as ADSL1 uses less of it.

Its normally associated to doggy internal wiring. Have you connected from the main socket? are you using an extension?

Technical Support will try different speeds and determine which one suits you best. Give them time. Now that you called them they will return your call probably today after some testing is done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭leinsterman

Bohrio wrote: »
    Setting a router on g.dmt its normally done to reduce the frequency spectrum as ADSL1 uses less of it.

Its normally associated to doggy internal wiring. Have you connected from the main socket? are you using an extension?

Technical Support will try different speeds and determine which one suits you best. Give them time. Now that you called them they will return your call probably today after some testing is done

Thanks ... you are uncannily correct ...

I got it sorted ... turned out to be a missing filter on my spare phone line :o

so me a culpa on this occasion ... I'm still tempted to go to UPC for the package deal ... but maybe I'll give BT one last chance and just upgrade my set top box to PVR... I hear UPC is atrociously bad at customer support ...

Advertisement