Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best ISP in Dublin?

Options
  • 24-03-2008 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

I've had ICE broadband for about 6 months now and got it instead of imagine who were providing a 1MB line for €10 euros a month.
    I'm now paying €70 a month for a 4MB download 2MB upload 'gaming line' I'm only getting around a quarter of this and am steadily going insane with Ice broadband customer service, mods, please don't move this to the sticky thread about 'ICE broadband steadily getting worse' I'm sick of complaining about them an just want to put them behind me and move to another reliable ISP in north county Dublin (Balbriggan)
    Worst thing is ICE were recommended by a friend so I'll need a lot of good things said about a isp by a lot of people to make a move.
    Looking for a high speed line btw
    Cheers,
    Al

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Smart if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Depends on:
    * Where you live exactly
    * If cable TV is used and you don't do torrents
    * If you want Internet without phone line rental
    * Lots of Linux ISO downloads or torrents or other heavy use
    * watch lots of TV online (at high quality, not just YouTube)
    * Want regular flat rate Internet for email and browsing
    * Want Mobility.

So be clear what your expectations are. ICE may have been fine for a friend with different expectations. Some people find Ripwave and 3G/HSDPA fine for what they want. It's unlikely you would or you'd be happy with Ice :)

Smart, BT, Eircom, Magnet all need a line (phone or fibre). Some resellers of DSL have good call & cap limits.

Other fixed wireless services can be fine depending where you live. Options may be limited in Balbriggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

I'm using ice for general browsing some music downloads and online gaming, not much in the way of high volumes but my brothers use the ps3 for online gaming aswel (8 hours a day, three of them are on shift on the thing) so we need a decent enough connection. Problem is, ice just don't give the service they advertise, Im paying for a 4mb download 2mb upload 'gaming line' and all im getting is 1mb download
    I just want a isp who can give me what they're advertising.
    Are smart really that good?
    I don't mind if its through the phone line or wireless and mobility isn't an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I'm using ice for general browsing some music downloads and online gaming, not much in the way of high volumes but my brothers use the ps3 for online gaming aswel (8 hours a day, three of them are on shift on the thing) so we need a decent enough connection. Problem is, ice just don't give the service they advertise, Im paying for a 4mb download 2mb upload 'gaming line' and all im getting is 1mb download
    I just want a isp who can give me what they're advertising.
    I don't mind if its through the phone line or wireless and mobility isn't an issue
    Well for the same price as you are paying now you can get 15meg from smart.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

Can't get Smart,
    Thanks for suggestions so far, any other isp's which someone could reccommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

I've had ICE broadband for about 6 months now and got it instead of imagine who were providing a 1MB line for €10 euros a month.
    I'm now paying €70 a month for a 4MB download 2MB upload 'gaming line' I'm only getting around a quarter of this and am steadily going insane with Ice broadband customer service, mods, please don't move this to the sticky thread about 'ICE broadband steadily getting worse' I'm sick of complaining about them an just want to put them behind me and move to another reliable ISP in north county Dublin (Balbriggan)
    Worst thing is ICE were recommended by a friend so I'll need a lot of good things said about a isp by a lot of people to make a move.
    Looking for a high speed line btw
    Cheers,
    Al

I am with NTL on the 6meg pack soon to be 12meg that will carry a 120gb cap.
    My ping is very low 20ms and I get the full speed.
    If you can get cable you should go with NTL it is great for games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

dont they throttle p2p though so tryin to play cod4(if he has it) is out the window

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

playing games isn't p2p though.

Advertisement