Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bupa Run - Have I fallen too far behind?

Options
  • 24-03-2008 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭

Been training for this run for the last few weeks. This is my first run but im starting to think im too far behind schedule to complete it. I done 6k on the threadmill on the 14th (approx 36 mins), then I did a hilly road 5k on the 18th, i did the same 5k (approx 25 mins) on the 22nd.
    I'm going to attempt 7.5k tonight but I have my doubts about success, I smoke alot so it's taking me too long to build any level of fitness.
    I was just wondering do you think it's possible from the above for me to complete a 10k on 6th of April in an hour or under or am I too far behind?
    Thanks.

Edit: Sorry, think I should have posted in fitness rather than logs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Hey colly,

Dont be disheartened, my advice is to measure out 10k, I hear www.mapmyrun.com is fairly good for this. Then go out and run it, start at a very very steady pace, concentrating on keeping it slow, still running but slow. The reason I suggest this is the mystery of not knowing the distances can be covered creates a problem and you doubt yourself,

Remember, nice and handy, and go and do it tonight. Once you realise that you can run the distance you will be alot more confident about being able to do it on the day,

You have a huge amount of time,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Todoquetengo

Hey Colly,

You'll def be able to do it on the day! The other people and the crowd and the atmosphere will push you on. And you have been training so you'll be able for it. Don't worry about times though, just be happy to finish it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Cheers gabgab, im using http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ and I find it really good. Especially being able to tell the elevation of the roads im running on.
    I don't think im ready for 10k just yet but i'll give this 7.5 a bash tonight and see how I get on

Hey Colly,

You'll def be able to do it on the day! The other people and the crowd and the atmosphere will push you on. And you have been training so you'll be able for it. Don't worry about times though, just be happy to finish it :D

The times are fairly important to me as I have a bet on, it's the combined time of me and a mate against another 2 mates of mine. I needed to make it competitive for myself to get myself to train hard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Don't worry about not having run the full 10km before the run. And even if you have to take a few walking breaks in the middle of the race it's not the end of the world! As todoquetengo said, finishing the race should be the priority at this stage and if the times work out that's all well and good.

Try to enjoy your running over the next few weeks, don't push yourself too hard. Get out for a few short runs during this week then one last long one next weekend (maybe 7-8km). Take it easy in the run up to the race itself, just a few short runs. Then give it your best shot on the day :)

• Advertisement

Did the 7.5 tonight anyway, delighted to get that one out of the way. Probably going to do 5 on wednesday then do the 7.5 again on Fri.
    How many days before the run would everyone normally stop training, would one last 7.5 on the thursday that week be ok, or why do you recommend shorter runs on the week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Todoquetengo

colly10 wrote: »
    How many days before the run would everyone normally stop training, would one last 7.5 on the thursday that week be ok, or why do you recommend shorter runs on the week?

Shorter runs so you can conserve your energy for the race. If your race is Sunday doing your last run on the Thursday would be fine but take it easy and don't push too hard. No point burning out before the race :)

You'll be amazed what you can do on the day, so just go for it and enjoy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

hey colly10 just wondering did you make it to the start line

Advertisement