Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading old watercooled box, part suggestions?

Options
  • 24-03-2008 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭

Hey,
    Basically have a 4 yr old machine here which I want to upgrade to a decent mid-level standard. Budgets fairly tight though, about 400e.
    Optical drives, HD and case are all fine. Hopefully can keep the Antec 380W psu too.
    So I'm looking for the right cpu, mainboard, ram and graphics card combination.
    And since its watercooled, I'm looking for a cheap cpu with serious overclocking potential, and the motherboard to support it.
    Totally out of touch with what the cool kids are buying these days so any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

can you list the entire spec of your old machine. Is your budget factoring money you might make from selling your old hardware?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Flashman

At the moment I'm running a Pentium 4 mobile, Abit AI7 mobo, a gig of pc3200 ram and a 9800pro. But these parts will be used to upgrade an even more decrepit machine in the house. That machine will be sold though, so maybe another 100e into the fund, about 500e?
    May source the graphics card while in the states, and I've heard the 9600GT is a good mid-range option. These go for a little over 100e over there, thanks to the tanking US dollar.
    No idea what to get otherwise...

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=330169

2.4 QUAD core overclockable to 3GHZ on AIR!!
    try find a good enough mobo and ram and graphics within budget and you would be laughing with water cooling!!

alternatively if you want to keep way under budget you could get a 2.8 dual core amd for about a hundred, a mobo for a hundred and 4GB of ram for
    66euros
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=339125
    just try find a good GPU

I was under the impression that very few programs make use of the 4 cores at the moment, and while this will change in the future I'd be paying a serious premium now. Having said that, quad-core gaming sounds ridiculously cool!
    Anyway I'm kinda set on the idea of getting an under-clocked core2duo and just overclocking the feck out of it. I'm wondering which revisions are likely to yield the best results?
    I'd be more inclined to put extra money into a motherboard which would be reliable and allow me to mess around with the cpu as much as possible. I'd always liked Abit in the past, but now that I think about it the northbridge fan failed on every one I owned (3), so maybe it time to check out the competition?

Ok, I'm on the verge of buying the following:

ABIT IP35-E
    Intel Pentium® Dual-Core E2180 2.0GHz
    OCZ Platinum DDR2 PC6400 2048MB KIT
    MSI GeForce 8800GT 512MB OC

So what do you guys think of this setup?
    The cpus a bit underpowered, but its kind of a stop gap for the moment and will be heavily overclocked and generally abused. All came to just under 400e from komplett which seems like good value!

• Advertisement
Advertisement