Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silly starters question

Options
  • 24-03-2008 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Guys
    I want to make my own website. I have the subject thought out and lots of material ready for the content.
    I just haven't a clue where to start with this. I don't know what software i need or where and how to get it.
    I also don't know anything about registering a URL and whether a website costs money to maintain and if so, how much.
    Any guidance is much appreciated. Sorry for the silly question guys, i'm really starting from scratch here
    Cheers
    DG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

There are three main steps to creating a web site:

1. Get a Domain Name, hosting company's sell these

2. Choose a Web Host - With a built in site builder like site studio ask your host before signing up to them if they have this service

3. Creating a Web Site - Most site builders are basic but easy to follow

But there are plenty of tutorials on the web

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭lauratkd

Ok, so I'm in a smiliar situation.

I have already registered my domain name with digiweb.ie. Do I need to then also purchase hosting with them seperately? If so does anyone have experience with digiweb and could you advice me on what type of hosting I should get.

I am creating a club website using Kompozer (so far anyway). There will be nothing too fancy at all in the site, just text and some images. I will need a total of approx 10 pages linked throughout the website... I think that's about all I need. I don't need email or blog space or anything like that.

Any advice is welcome PLEASE!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

There is a thread above linking commonly used hosting providers. Take a look at the packages they offer and make any enquiries you may have with them regarding those packages.

Please note however that we do not allow discussion of those packages here, so any questions you may have regarding those should be directed to the providers in question through their own official channels.

Advertisement