Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have Dublin rent prices nose-dived?

Options
  • 24-03-2008 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Is it my imagination or have Dublin rent prices nose-dived in the last year?

I'm looking at Daft and thinking about moving southside.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

They've gone up if anything. I was thinking of moving out of my place by Sydney Parade, but I can't find anything on daft now that is at all comparable now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

it's just your imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

The rental supply is rising right now, so yes rental prices are coming down now. There was (and still is) a lot of publicity from those who have a vested interest in keeping property prices rising that rental prices are rising. But the reality of the situation does not bear this out. My suggestion if you are looking for a new place is to wait a month or two and then start looking because the realisation that there is a huge oversupply will start to dawn on landlords by then. And don't be afraid to haggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yep, always haggle. (unless there are 20 other people queing too)
    I was viewing one beds last month and one place started at €1200 on daft and then moved to €1100. It could be haggled to €1000.
    Still crazy money but going rate I suppose, didn't take it.

Rents are still stubbornly static though, people see high rents on daft so they all advertise at similar rates.
    But if there are no takers, they will probably be very open to a bit of haggling.

Unless you're a student and it's September ;)
    There are peak times too for renting too!

Advertisement