Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

interrailing route

• 24-03-2008 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

myself and group of 6 others are planning an interrailing trip for the summer. Our route goes as follows:

1. Flying into Dubrovnik
    2. Montenegro
    3. Split
    4. Hvar
    5. Ljubljana
    6. Vienna
    7. Budapest
    8. Bratislava
    9. Verona
    10. Lake Garda
    11. Milan

We plan to do all this in 25 days, is this realistic?

Has anyone ever travelled from Dubrovnik/Split to Ljubljana? There doesnt seem to be a train route so would have to get a bus.

Where can you get information on the train routes, times distances etc for interrailing?

Would love any recommendations for things to do/amount of time to spend in these places and accommodation.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Yeah it is realistic i'd say, but if it was me i'd leave out one or two places, probably Bratislava (see below) and maybe one of the Italian places, i have never been to Italy so can't say much about that

I travelled the opposite way from Ljubljana to Split, we went via Zagreb on a train, we did it overnight with no sleeper car (I'd recommend getting one of these)

www.bahn.de has all you need for trains all over Europe, and use google maps

In Ljubljana, you mightn't find much to do so go to Lake Bled which is about an hour north. Leave loads of time for Hvar and maybe go to a few more Islands in Croatia. Go to the turkish baths in Budapest. Bratislava is sh*t, don't go there, honestly it is the biggest kip of a place i've ever been to. If you have time Salzburg is a nice place to go for a day or two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yeah it is realistic i'd say, but if it was me i'd leave out one or two places, probably Bratislava (see below) and maybe one of the Italian places, i have never been to Italy so can't say much about that

I travelled the opposite way from Ljubljana to Split, we went via Zagreb on a train, we did it overnight with no sleeper car (I'd recommend getting one of these)

www.bahn.de has all you need for trains all over Europe, and use google maps

In Ljubljana, you mightn't find much to do so go to Lake Bled which is about an hour north. Leave loads of time for Hvar and maybe go to a few more Islands in Croatia. Go to the turkish baths in Budapest. Bratislava is sh*t, don't go there, honestly it is the biggest kip of a place i've ever been to. If you have time Salzburg is a nice place to go for a day or two

Totally disagree about Bratislava, I loved th place and have gon eback more than once, Not overly pretty but it has great nightlife and the people are fantastic....

Ok well maybe I just had a bad experience of it, I found it to be a dirty city full of grafitti and blocks of flats with the exception of a small part of the city centre, with nothing to see that you wouldnt see in any other Eastern European city, with ignorant and thuggish people, trying to rob you and rip you off at every opportunity and **** nightlife and food

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭NCW feen

I have been thinking about doing the interrail thing myself. Who did you guys book it through, USIT??

And what about accomodation, did you just find hostels to stay in along the way ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

find accomadation along the way, book through cie i think, was about €380 for a month when i did it in 2006.
    OP, id say you might be a little bit rushed, maybe you should be prepared to leave a few places out just in case you like a certain place and want to stay a little longer than planned. Id also recommend Krakow, probably the best place i went to when interrailing except for maybe budapest.

• Advertisement

In Ljubljana, you mightn't find much to do so go to Lake Bled which is about an hour north.

Also disagree with Ljubljana....nice atmosphere, vibrant cafe culture, friendly chatty attractive english speaking natives and decent nightlife.
    Lake bled is grand, but it is very touristy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 grets85

"Bratislava is sh*t, don't go there, honestly it is the biggest kip of a place i've ever been to."

We went traveling around Eastern Europe and we loved Bratislava, I wouldn't go to Vienna though, I thought it would be great but it was a huge disappointment, we planned to spend about 2 days there but spent less than a day there.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭NCW feen

What type of accomodation do people typically stay in, hostels, b&b's ?
    And is it easy to get by if you only speak English ?

NCW feen wrote: »
    What type of accomodation do people typically stay in, hostels, b&b's ?
    And is it easy to get by if you only speak English ?
    Hostels, peoples houses in Croatia maybe

Yeah you'll be grand, maybe learn 1,2,3, beer, please and thanks in every language, they will be in every guide book. Locals usually speak English but I see this as good manners

Advertisement