Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Small charge in earth wire; is this ok?

• 24-03-2008 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Last night I noticed a very small current on my electric shower hose, which is and has been operating properly for the past two years. It is a very faint tingle noticeble when I hold the (metallic) hose. I shut off all the house electricity at the main fuse box, and checked the earth rod sticking into the ground outside- sure enough it has the same faint charge. I phoned ESB who advised me this is not unusual. I'll get an electrician tomorrow to look at it, but in the meantime... should I be worried by this?

-Delia Quad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Whatever the ESB say about the earth rod I wouldn't use the shower until it was checked out. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Get your equipotential bonding checked out.
    Also check is your earth neutralised or should it be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Get your equipotential bonding checked out.
    Also check is your earth neutralised or should it be.

Chances are it should be TNCS alright.

Don't use the shower certainly.

Was your earth rod showing a charge with the power off? Voltage readings to a reference earth would tell a lot.

You may be subject to a fault from one of your neighbours if so.

Make sure the sparks checks the loop impedance anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Chances are it should be TNCS alright.

Don't use the shower certainly.

Was your earth rod showing a charge with the power off? Voltage readings to a reference earth would tell a lot.

You may be subject to a fault from one of your neighbours if so.

Make sure the sparks checks the loop impedance anyway.

It sounds like there is current flowing back to the ESB transformer via your earth rod, more than likely there's a voltage rise across the neutral conductor going back to the ESB transformer...

It could well be the cable going back to the ESB transformer has a doggy joint in it and the earth rod is acting as a lower resistance path back to the transformer... your earth rod could even be carrying the neutral current back to the ESB transformer for your neighbors, depending on their earthing system.

It could be possible that there is a break in the neutral connection for all your houses back to the ESB transformer... If you had an AC clamp ammeter you could try measure the current flowing on the cable going back to the earth rod... Then try turning on the electric kettle and see if the current flowing to earth increases....

If it was my house i'd be tempted to temporarily and very carefully disconnect the link between the neutral and earth, with a multi meter connected between the earth and neutral, and see how much the neutral rises by WRT earth... although this could be dangerous if not done carefully...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Deliaquad

Thanks for the replies so far. The charge was still in the earth ground rod wire after my electricity was off at the fuse box; shower is bonded to this earth so I think the problem is in the earth rather than the shower. There is no charge in the earth this morning, but ESB are sending someone out later today to check it out, I'll post what they say the problem is.
    -DQ

• Advertisement

ESB Networks just came out to check, although since the charge has dissappeared they couldn't check where the fault was from. When I described the charge, and he asked if was "pulsing" rather than constant, he thought it 95% likely to be caused by an electric fence (we're in a rural village location) that had been temporarily unearthed, said he had come across this a few times before. If it happens again I'm to phone and they'll come and check when the charge is present.

He suggested also that the shower tray be earthed with the shower unit, which would stop any potential shocks, something which he said should be code.

Thanks again for the advice above, now to wash this infernal stink offa me...:)

-DQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Shower aside for now.

When you say you get a "charge" at earth rod, do you mean you get a tingle when touching the top of it while it is still connected to main earth cable and you are standing on ground beside it?

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Shower aside for now.

When you say you get a "charge" at earth rod, do you mean you get a tingle when touching the top of it while it is still connected to main earth cable and you are standing on ground beside it?

Yes, that's it exactly. The charge did seem to pulse a bit, rather than a steady tingle. It's gone for now.

-DQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I hadn't thought of a fencer, although it's a known issue in rural locations.

Advertisement