Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleat adjustment

Options
  • 24-03-2008 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I have been having a bit of a nightmare adjusting my cleats.

I bought a pair of MTB shoes and pedals online for my birthday, but can't seem to get the cleat position right.

The shoes fit fine and I have no problem clipping in and out, which I thought would be more of an issue than cleat adjustment.

I have the cleat positioned roughly under the ball of my foot, tried to take angle of my feet into account and have float set at maximum, but still suffer mild pain in the front of my knee which wasn't there before.

It's very frustrating as I just want to get out and cycle, but don't want to cause any lasting damage.

So does anyone have a fool proof guide to adjusting cleat position?

Alternatively, does anyone know of an LBS in Dublin that will be able to do a proper adjustment for me?

Thanks,
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

is this your first time being attached to the pedals? i.e. were you using clips before or just flat pedals?

if you haven't been attached to the pedals before then the pain might be simple muscle ache from using muscles you haven't been exercising up to now. if that's the case then it may be a question of getting used to the new action and the pain will go away as your muscles adjust.

if the pain is clearly not just muscle ache (e.g. shooting pains or inflamation/swelling) you could be doing some tendon or ligament damage and i'd get down the gp's or physio's asap to get checked out.

have a good look at how you pedal without the cleats, the position of your feet on the pedals, their angle (parallel or toes in or heels in) and how far your knees are apart as you pedal. try to replicate the same set-up with the cleats. drastically changing any of these things overnight could lead to grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

In addition to what niceonetom mentions about foot position, another factor may be the height of your saddle. Some shoe+cleat combinations create a higher foot position than you may have had before, so perhaps your saddle is now effectively too low (shouldn't be enough of a change to have caused such knee problems, I would have thought, but it is worth bearing in mind as possibly contributing to the problem).

Advertisement