Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blandest goon on Radio today??

• 24-03-2008 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭

My jaysus!!!!

What's todays radio coming to???

One bland gimp after the next ,none of them with an original thought or opinion in their heads.
    I have put up a top five blandees for your perusal,can anyone top these gimps for waffle.

#1.... Way out there, by a frikken counthry moooile..Aengus Mc Anally.

Fills in for Mooney betimes but the guy is so frikken politically correct he bores the bollox off me.What a wimp!! grow some balls man!! Jeesh

2.. Lorcan Murray... sickly sweet and wholesome,without an opinion worthy of a seven year old.

#3.. Ronan Collins..jaysus, music by numbers, predictable as your morning dump,and just as attractive.

#4.. Maxi... forced jollity at an early hour

#5.. Con Murphy..the sports guy..for jaysus sake,get an opinion and dont try to please everyone.

Honourable mention

Des Cahill..Hmmmmph hmmmph

Larry Gogan.. nuff said.

Olin McGowan.... bring everybody in to the conversation

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Caught the start of Aengus McAnally today. I thought he had gone to a far off land and was never to be heard from again. What a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

yeah, MacAnally and Mooney by a mile.

Is Lorcan Murray the fella that's on 2fm on Sundays, early. Possibly 1pm?Or maybe 11 to 1pm? God he's awful. I saw him once on the 6.1 news or something, he's not young, in a way that he should know better than to suck up to guests (usually some bluddy betting shop impressario).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Another one who need to grow a set of stones is...Ray Darcy.

Get off the fence ya muppet and give an opinion!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I have to agree with you about Aenghas McAnally and Ronan Collins. Shoot me now. I can't decide which one annoys me more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

My jaysus!!!!

What's todays radio coming to???

#3.. Ronan Collins..jaysus, music by numbers, predictable as your morning dump,and just as attractive.

Ronan Collins? Music By Numbers?

Bearing in Mind that on any given day, a typical Collins playlist could comprise of anything from

Ike and Tina Turner
    Belle and Sebastian
    Jerry Lee Lewis
    John Lennon
    Arctic Monkeys
    Sharon Shannon
    Country Joe and the Fish
    Luke Kelly
    Keane
    The Stones
    Roxy Music
    Fats Domino
    Oasis
    Bob Dylan
    The Greenbeats
    Linda Ronstadt and her Mariachi band
    Both Elvii, (Presley AND costello)

and , frankly, anyone who's had a hit record between 1938 and today, I think calling him "music by numbers" is a bit harsh.

Right, so he wont be swing-jocking for Tom Dunne anytime in the near future, but he isn't catering for the Blast or Pet sounds audience, he has a set niche, and he appeals to them. He's a smooth professional broadcaster who is knowledgable about his music, and connects well with his target market. You obviously aren't it, but that doesn't mean he's a bad jock.

Im pretty ok with the rest of your choices though. Except Larry. Dissing Larry is an offence against the Historical statutes of the state, punishable by prison, or being made listen to Derek Mooney. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Aengus McAnally. The best (and the worst) thing I can say about him is that he is the son of Ray.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Ronan Collins? Music By Numbers?

Bearing in Mind that on any given day, a typical Collins playlist could comprise of anything from

Ike and Tina Turner
    Belle and Sebastian
    Jerry Lee Lewis
    John Lennon
    Arctic Monkeys
    Sharon Shannon
    Country Joe and the Fish
    Luke Kelly
    Keane
    The Stones
    Roxy Music
    Fats Domino
    Oasis
    Bob Dylan
    The Greenbeats
    Linda Ronstadt and her Mariachi band
    Both Elvii, (Presley AND costello)

and , frankly, anyone who's had a hit record between 1938 and today, I think calling him "music by numbers" is a bit harsh.

Right, so he wont be swing-jocking for Tom Dunne anytime in the near future, but he isn't catering for the Blast or Pet sounds audience, he has a set niche, and he appeals to them. He's a smooth professional broadcaster who is knowledgable about his music, and connects well with his target market. You obviously aren't it, but that doesn't mean he's a bad jock.

Im pretty ok with the rest of your choices though. Except Larry. Dissing Larry is an offence against the Historical statutes of the state, punishable by prison, or being made listen to Derek Mooney. :D

+1, QFT etc.

Larry is a legend. End of.

Collins mixes it up, he has no playlist. He might link birthdays and deaths to songs played, but it works, its never the same. He chooses music that I've not heard in ages. Rare gems. I like that.

Its a personal choice thing. I like him, others don't, and yet, like Bondvillain, I agree that the rest of Flutter's post is sound.

And I don't like DJ's that have thoughts of their own. I don't want to hear them. Thats how Ronan Collins and Larry Gogan work. They never spout their thoughts for the day.

Play music, or end up like Ian Dempsey and Ray D'arcy. erk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Regarding Collins I may have been a tad harsh,and what I really meant was presentation by numbers.

Its just too frikken smooth,too pit pat,too much of a "sameness" every day with basically the same patter only different music.

Sounds like he could do it in his sleep,and sometimes does.

However its a personal opinion,and I realise that while he's not my cup of tea,he is popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

mike65 wrote: »
    Aengus McAnally. The best (and the worst) thing I can say about him is that he is the son of Ray.

Mike.

They should bring back "Anything Goes" and restore him and Mary Fitzgerald to their former glory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

mike65 wrote: »

Mike.

yeah, I actually thought he was alright, but that was just because he was better than who he was filling in for. Yesterday, I heard him apologise in advance for a completely innocent remark someone had texted in about alopecia, then, when his two hairdresser mates started talking about the reasons that people lose their hair (stress etc), he made a remark about how they are not doctors, before asking them to comment on a readers text stating that she had a rash on her head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

damian reilly who fills in for joe duffy now and again is incredibly innofensive and bland
    theres as much edge to him as a pound of butter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

regarding Mr Collins i would much prefer to listen to the music he plays
    compared to the drivel that is played at the same time of the day on other stations you never know what big ro will put on the turntables next and that makes it refreshing to listen too so what if he reads out births deaths and marraiges
    better that than commercial playlists, mindless chats and reports on so called celebrities that the souless use as fodder to fill the vacuum in their pointless & boring lives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

If your talking bland,O'Brien on song would have to be the most boring/crap/ insert whatever here shows I have ever heard. Not only does he play mostly music from the century before last,it sounds as if he uses equipment from that era to play it on. The Arts show every evening at 8pm merits a mention too. TBH I can take it or leave it,but rehashing the 'best' bits of the previous 4 days on fridays has to be the lazyiest excuse for an evening show I have ever heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

shockwave wrote: »
    Another one who need to grow a set of stones is...Ray Darcy.

Get off the fence ya muppet and give an opinion!!

Whether it's the woman or the kid that has him the way he is - Ray Foley is the new D'arcy. I remember a time when D'arcy was fun to listen to - now it's only because of that other closet case on 2fm.

Will Hanafin on the D'arcy show as well - they should just give him the boot, can't stand the sound of his voice - whiney f@&%$ng tosser. The show seemed to go downhill after he replaced Mairead.

To summarise::D
    Will Hanafin

Its just too frikken smooth,too pit pat,too much of a "sameness" every day with basically the same patter only different music.

Sounds like he could do it in his sleep,and sometimes does.

Getcha, I know, and I suppose this is down to the rigidness of the Radio 1 format. The music certainly isn't rigid, but yet you can set your watch by when he takes an ad break, the nuacht and the weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Don't really mind ronan collins I think he is totally easy listening and good at what he does.
    the problem is with a question like this is that we probably don't even remember the blandest radio personality.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

tampopo wrote: »
    yeah, MacAnally and Mooney by a mile.

Is Lorcan Murray the fella that's on 2fm on Sundays, early. Possibly 1pm?Or maybe 11 to 1pm? God he's awful. I saw him once on the 6.1 news or something, he's not young, in a way that he should know better than to suck up to guests (usually some bluddy betting shop impressario).

Aidan Leonard is the guy on 2FM Sunday evenings, the "Cruise" show. A good jock who dates back to Super Q, he also worked on Century, Capital/Rock 104 and RTE 1.

Lorcan Murray is the guy who fills in for Ronan Collins on Radio 1; he also presents a show on Lyric FM. He is best known for somehow playing the same 20 songs all the time for 20 years, crashing lyrics on songs and bringing banality to new heights, or is that lows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Phil Cawley, rubbing sand paper over my tongue is more appealing than listening to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

silvine wrote: »
    Phil Cawley, rubbing sand paper over my tongue is more appealing than listening to him.

I used to really like him, it's only in the past year that I copped on.
    I can still listen to him but i wouldn't go out of my way to listen!!

Blandest has got to be Gerry ryan.
    But that's an obvious one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Aidan Leonard is the guy on 2FM Sunday evenings, the "Cruise" show.

The other post was asking about the time slot that John Clarke is on - not Aidan. JC is the PD so he won't be going anywhere soon!

Agree with the positive posts about Ronan Collins and Larry - music stations are not there to have personality jocks on all the time - they're on to play music. Larry only recently did an interview and was asked about new DJs and said he can't understand the ones that go on and on about their personal lives, their opinions and whether they're having a good or bad day - the listener is not interested in what they had for breakfast is what he was getting at.

Wonder what he thinks of some of the more recent daytime recruits in 2FM if that's his opinion! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mrincredible

Big Balls wrote: »
    The other post was asking about the time slot that John Clarke is on - not Aidan. JC is the PD so he won't be going anywhere soon!

Agree with the positive posts about Ronan Collins and Larry - music stations are not there to have personality jocks on all the time - they're on to play music. Larry only recently did an interview and was asked about new DJs and said he can't understand the ones that go on and on about their personal lives, their opinions and whether they're having a good or bad day - the listener is not interested in what they had for breakfast is what he was getting at.

Wonder what he thinks of some of the more recent daytime recruits in 2FM if that's his opinion! :D

Do you remember were this interview was? would be very interested in having a read.

It was in Herald.. It was a piece on him moving from RTE if the money was right and he just commented on new young radio talent in it. National library might be your only place to get it now though.

larry gogan hasnt uttered a spontaneous line in over 4o yrs on radio
    hes baschially an unsackable institution at this stage

It doesn't matter... people listen to him.

Having one radio legend that says little, plays music and does it like nobody else has ensured Larry has survived the test of time.

It doesn't matter... people listen to him.

Having one radio legend that says little, plays music and does it like nobody else has ensured Larry has survived the test of time.

if being there 40 yrs +(like the tree at the front of my house) is what qualifys someone as a legend , then i accept larry gogan is a legend

mick jagger once said , like and old whore and and old building , everything gains respectability if its around long enough

jagger was talking in the run up to this knighthood

I think it's less to do with the fact that he's "been there 40 years" & more to do with WHY he's been there 40 years. He's a consummate professional, a clear communicator, a pleasant personality and his genuine love of music means he is as comfortable introducing Eminem as he is Nat King Cole.

He doesnt rely on anything other than the music to fill his show. He doesn't waffle about his kids/dogs/xbox/spam mails, he doesn't bore you with his opinions on all and sundry, and he doesn't invite listeners to send texts in about their Knickers/Diseases/favourite euphemisms for Boobs etc... He's just a knowledgeable pro with an easy-on-the-ear voice who plays records, tells you who performed them, and doesnt talk over the lyrics.

On radio in Ireland today, that goes some way towards legendary status.

I think it's less to do with the fact that he's "been there 40 years" & more to do with WHY he's been there 40 years. He's a consummate professional, a clear communicator, a pleasant personality and his genuine love of music means he is as comfortable introducing Eminem as he is Nat King Cole.

He doesnt rely on anything other than the music to fill his show. He doesn't waffle about his kids/dogs/xbox/spam mails, he doesn't bore you with his opinions on all and sundry, and he doesn't invite listeners to send texts in about their Knickers/Diseases/favourite euphemisms for Boobs etc... He's just a knowledgeable pro with an easy-on-the-ear voice who plays records, tells you who performed them, and doesnt talk over the lyrics.

On radio in Ireland today, that goes some way towards legendary status.

he doesnt bore you with his opinions for the simple reason , he doesnt have any opinions

larry gogan aka , the dj 3000

he doesnt bore you with his opinions for the simple reason , he doesnt have any opinions

...that he broadcasts on air.

Sometimes I dont want an opinion. My day is full of them. Government, Family, Friends, enemies, taxi drivers. To be honest it's a blessed relief that certain DJs remember that they're popular because they DON'T broadcast their opinions.

Alright, so you're not a fan, but why is it such a bad thing that Larry Gogan plays records and doesn't waffle? Are you perhaps confusing "Larry Gogan is a Bad disc jockey " with "I don't like Larry Gogan"?

Sometimes I want an opinion,someone who is prepared to push the boat out a bit,let me have a little insight into what they think,how they react to other people and events,where they are coming from,dig a little deeper.

If I want just music with the same rehearsed patter,the same lack of substance,the same bland banality day after boring day,well I'll just play it myself.

• Advertisement

Posted previously by me regarding Larry Gogan......

Larry Gogan doesn't add glitter to his broadcasts, he doesn't read out celebrity news or attempt to do comedy... he does what any good DJ should do. Play music. On the side, there is the Golden Hour and the Just a Minute quiz, good audience interaction.

The Ian Dempseys and Tony Fentons of this world add their own opinions on things they know nothing about, nor should we accept their opinions on big matters. Thats where Larry Gogan's class shines over. He doesn't comment on the record he's just played, he doesn't comment on the news. He lets the music play. Its no wonder his JNLR figures are as good as they are.

People like Larry.

I remember a few years ago when the Golden Hour moved to 5pm. Ratings for that slot went up, while his old lunchtime slot went down. When he moved back to 2pm, the ratings went up again, and 5pm's went down.

Radio is a very personal medium. For some reason, people think that the radio broadcaster is directly speaking to you, because rather often people listen to the radio alone.

For a DJ to spend 45 years playing contemporary and classic hit music on national radio, and still be hugely popular, is massive endorsement for the man. Everyone who works for 45 years gets, like, a watch, a carriage clock or a handshake when they retire, but because Larry has been on the airwaves of the nation daily for decades, in such a public role, he gets all this attention.

He's been part of daily life for a lot of people, he's entertained the country, and entertainers who've been there for almost 50 year deserve recognition, nay legendary status.

Larry doesn't age, that's the key. He doesn't talk over the music, he doesn't mention if he loves or hates a song. He doesn't say when he had his last period.

He simply plays the music, has a quiz that everyone understands, and its as pure a radio programme you can hear anywhere.

That's why he's a legend.

...that he broadcasts on air.

Sometimes I dont want an opinion. My day is full of them. Government, Family, Friends, enemies, taxi drivers. To be honest it's a blessed relief that certain DJs remember that they're popular because they DON'T broadcast their opinions.

Alright, so you're not a fan, but why is it such a bad thing that Larry Gogan plays records and doesn't waffle? Are you perhaps confusing "Larry Gogan is a Bad disc jockey " with "I don't like Larry Gogan"?

i dont actually dislike larrry , the golden hour always had good music but this thread was about bland voices on radio and larry is certainly bland

if this thread was simply about dj,s i dont like then

RICK O SHEA

Beggin' yer pardon squire,but this thread is about bland "personalities" on radio.

As the OP I was aiming more at the news and current affairs magazine area rather than the pure music radio.

I realise that the constraints of balance can influence the way things are presented but sometimes one craves for a programme with a bit of a hard edge rather than scratching the surface.

Thank you for trying to put it back on topic.

Advertisement