Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Chocolate Factory, Kilmainham

Options
  • 24-03-2008 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi guys, I'm thinking of buying in The Old Chocolate Factory in Kilmainham. Anyone live there/near there?

any tips, info, advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I moved into bellvue in islandbridge(just down road) 6month ago. Hadn't known to much about area befor hand. It's a cracking area,safe and friendly. Parks,shops,city,gallerys and museums to hand and if you stroll down the side of the museum of modern art there's a belting little boozer called the royal oak.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

I would love to buy here the apartments look lovely. The area itself is grand as well, friends of mine live down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭The Machine

I'm living very close to the Choc Factory and I really like the area. Both Kilmainham and Inchicore are both "up and coming" and as other posters have mentioned there is plenty of things to do locally..

I'm surprised all these properties aren't sold, they must be having some difficulty in shifting them - hence you should be able to drive a decent bargain. I heard the views in some of the apartments aren't as good as you would expect, i.e. in there you would hope to have a view of either the Phoenix park, City Centre or both!

From experinece I can tell you that is worth being in the apartment when some of the big trains from Heuston pass by. Depending on the insulation the noise can be loud. It doesn't bother me but just to let you know….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

hey all, how far walk would these places be from Heuston Station?

• Advertisement

10min. strolling. I've timed myself at 7min. but that was very briskly walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

humberklog wrote: »
    if you stroll down the side of the museum of modern art there's a belting little boozer called the royal oak.

That's a smashing little pub. Great spot if you can grab the snug with a few mates before it fills up.

All around and about the ten minute walk. IMMA is right beside it. Plus you've the Luas at Heuston.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭poker_face

Very well finished appartments in a great area. I live near there and I know someone that lives there. The windows are triple glazing and the trains travel very slow when they're that near heuston, so you hardly hear the trains. Nice little pub the royal oak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

would people know if there are many apartments to let in the area.
    sometimes they crop up on daft, but is there an agency that deals with leasing or is it all private letters.

i was looking to live nearby and i like the idea of an apartment with secure parking within walking distance of Heuston.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

and if you stroll down the side of the museum of modern art there's a belting little boozer called the royal oak.

Jaysus, humberklog. Don't be giving away the location of all our secret, aul fella, tiny boozers. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Yeah! Only discovered that lately while taking a shortcut to Heuston in the morning. Looks cool.

stovelid wrote: »
    Jaysus, humberklog. Don't be giving away the location of all our secret, aul fella, tiny boozers. :D
    I know. I really was in 2minds about revealing it. It's shifted into my top 3 pubs. The lock ins, the spontanious music sessions, the lock ins! Barmen nicely grumpy, proffessional young country folks, dodgey drunk guadai, tottyometre through the roof, one can even spot good looking lesbians. And all in a boozer 25feet by 10(excluding best ever snug) and a lean-to shed jacks kinda set-up. It is a smasher. From the darkest mud blooms the whitest lotus and all that. That's not a reference to the area(I'm a local now) but more of a reference to the hotch-potch of clientel and staff.
    3.45A.M was my latest last pint in there (that's exluding the 20min. fast that the bar's clock runs at) but I did hear word of a 6a.m finish over crimbo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I know. I really was in 2minds about revealing it. It's shifted into my top 3 pubs. The lock ins, the spontanious music sessions, the lock ins! Barmen nicely grumpy, proffessional young country folks, dodgey drunk guadai, tottyometre through the roof, one can even spot good looking lesbians. And all in a boozer 25feet by 10(excluding best ever snug) and a lean-to shed jacks kinda set-up. It is a smasher. From the darkest mud blooms the whitest lotus and all that. That's not a reference to the area(I'm a local now) but more of a reference to the hotch-potch of clientel and staff.
    3.45A.M was my latest last pint in there (that's exluding the 20min. fast that the bar's clock runs at) but I did hear word of a 6a.m finish over crimbo.

It became my mate's local recently. A few minutes walk away, can you imagine? He doesn't know whether to be delighted or distraught. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sweetoblivion

would people know if there are many apartments to let in the area.
    sometimes they crop up on daft, but is there an agency that deals with leasing or is it all private letters.

i was looking to live nearby and i like the idea of an apartment with secure parking within walking distance of Heuston.

I was wondering the same thing - does anyone have info?
    Thanks in advance!

I was wondering the same thing - does anyone have info?
    Thanks in advance!
    I noticed a few private adverts in my comlex (Belvue, just in at the war memorial garden). I'll get details and pm phone number attached to advert later today or tomorrow.

I noticed a few private adverts in my comlex (Belvue, just in at the war memorial garden). I'll get details and pm phone number attached to advert later today or tomorrow.

thank you- you're very kind! live an hour away from Dublin so it's hard to know where to get the info from.

thank you- you're very kind! live an hour away from Dublin so it's hard to know where to get the info from.
    Haven't put one up yet as the 1bed apt that was being advertised has bee taken down. There is a 2bed for 1550p.m. Shall I get the number?

Haven't put one up yet as the 1bed apt that was being advertised has bee taken down. There is a 2bed for 1550p.m. Shall I get the number?

hi, thanks a million but to be honest that's a few hundred over my budget - do you know off the top of your head how much the 1-bed was going for? If you don't, don't worry, I'm just curious about the average cost in that complex.
    Thanks! :)

hi, thanks a million but to be honest that's a few hundred over my budget - do you know off the top of your head how much the 1-bed was going for? If you don't, don't worry, I'm just curious about the average cost in that complex.
    Thanks! :)
    Well I rent a 1 bed and it's 1300. Although it does have a fairly large 8m by 8m roof garden type thingy,secure parking and large well kept grounds. It's not the chocolate factory but Belvue just at the war memorial gardens. In my view a slightly better location as it's right beside phoenix park, it's on the river, much more peaceful as it's set in from civilization and it's a stroll to Ryan's on parkgate st. I think the one bed with smaller balcony is about 1100p.m.
    It back onto the weir at Trinity boat house and a seal bounced over the weir the other day. Maddest thing I've seen in ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Speaking as one of the good looking lesbians ;) I can confirm that this is indeed one of the best kept secrets in Dublin (until now!). Best pint of Guinness also!

• Advertisement
Advertisement