Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neighbours turning nasty

Options
  • 24-03-2008 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

just looking for a little bit of advice on this folks (apologies if it turns into a rant).

In recent months I've had a bit of trouble with my neighbour who moved in late last year. Since she moved in she enjoys playing ridiculously loud music at all hours of the evening. I now enjoy eating my dinner to the sound of a disco next door. Our apartment walls are quite thick and I've never had problem before she moved in, so it's not like the walls are paper-thin here.

Originally I asked her to lower it a little, got a positive response from her so was happy with that. We all lived a little happier for a few weeks.
    Then it started again. After this time I asked the management co to talk to her, which they said they would do & assured me it would be the end of it but after a week or so it started again.

Does anyone know what the management co can realistically do about this. I spoke to her last week after another particularly loud evening and she went mental. Aparently she's had a few letters from management and blames me for all them, just cos I'm the only one who ever knocks long enough for her to answer. She said that if I talked to management co again about her that she would report me for excessive noise too. When I pointed out that that wasn't true she said it didn't have to be true as she could say what she likes and she could make life difficult for me:mad:

I feel like a stupid child running to the management again and repeating all this "she said" stuff.... but I honestly don't think I should have to stand this carp in my own home. Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Is she renting or an owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

she is renting, I am an owner.

Her landlord spoke to her about this when the managment co got involved.
    She says the landlord has no problem with her or her music (well, he doesnt have to listen to it). According to her he says once it isn't loud after the 11pm cut-off then everything's hunky dory. In actual fact the house rules says noise/music should never be loud enough to "disturb your neighbours quiet enjoyment of their home". After 11pm it's quiet time for everyone.

I just find it so frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Get the management company to contact the home owner again. Get them to get the home owner to agree to pay for a sound audit, and have it arranged at random days for 5 days. This may be quite expensive, however, it will provide proof that there is excessive noise coming from that unit. You will want that the noise readings are taken from all surrounding units, and not just yours.

You have every right to enjoy your own place in peace and quiet, especially if the noise next door is excessive.

Thanks for the replieis. I think I will be contacting the management co again this week.
    I really dont want this to turn into a tit for tat thing. I don't see that there is much she can do to me if she does make false complaints but like she says she could make things difficult if she liked.

The music isn't every evening but if it's on one evening then you can be sure it'll be on most evening for that week/end, seems like a humour she gets into. It sounds like when you go to the loo in a club and you can still hear & feel the music pumping from the dancefloor. I didnt know there was such a thing as a sound audit. What does that involve?

I have actually taped/videod the noise on my phone a few times.
    Not planning on using it but is more just to remind myself that it is as bad as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Depending on where in Dublin you are located - your local county council may be able to help. Fingal Co Co have a noise complaints procedure, ring them up and ask for relevant forms (I think its through the Environmental Section).

Failing that, a complaint could probably be lodged with PRTB.

I know of one apartment complex where the managing agent has free reign to threaten offenders with legal action on behalf of the management company. As previously stated, you have a right to live in peace, so badger your County Council or Managing Agent until you get a positive reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I wouldn't be overly concerned with her claims that you are making noise, especially as you have made multiple documented complaints about her already, in which she has said she will keep it down, just blowing hot air. Any arbitration system in the world will realise she's a lying idiot, which would also count against her :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Sounds like the owner is in breach of his lease agreement in not ensuring his tenant complies with the rules. In our development we got tenants evicted due to excessive noise after we threatened to take legal action towards getting a noise abatement order. The NAB is on the property not the tenant and devalues it for re-sale until the order is lifted.

Ask the management agent about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jubi lee

check you block policy. you should have gotten a copy of it when you bought the apartment. it should have a paragraph about acceptabel noise...

for my apartment, loud noise was not allowed from 9pm to 9am. anyone ignoring this could be fined or sued by the managmnet company.

the only thing you can do is to get the managment company to contact the landlord and get her thrown out.

ignore her threats, she can't do anyhting. you could start keepiong a note of what times she has the must on and for how long. you can then send a copy of this to the managment company.

also are any other tennants affected? if so get them to knock at her door with you or send a letter signed by all of you to the mamnagment company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭A Random Walk

Ring the landlord - every time it happens and particularly if it happens in the early morning.

jubi lee wrote: »
    check you block policy. you should have gotten a copy of it when you bought the apartment. it should have a paragraph about acceptabel noise...

for my apartment, loud noise was not allowed from 9pm to 9am. anyone ignoring this could be fined or sued by the managmnet company.

the only thing you can do is to get the managment company to contact the landlord and get her thrown out.

QUOTE]

Our house rules specifically say no noise audible outside your apartment from 11pm till 9am. Any noise outside those hours should be kept to level that doesnt disturb your neighbours quiet enjoyment of their home.

Spoke to the management agent today, they're on the case. Landlord will be informed of the problem again (along with the petty threat). I'm not worried about it, just dont understand why someone could be such an idiot - get evicted for loud music or.... turn it down a fraction and keep your nice flat. Seems like a no-brainer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭smooth operater

Just gona put this out there- but if she was annoying me, i'd be "strongly considering" pumpin the music at 5 in the mornin on a regular basis just to make sure she has an idea how annoying she is, i'd then consider apologising to the other surrounding neighbours though....

Might be worth a shot :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Just gona put this out there- but if she was annoying me, i'd be "strongly considering" pumpin the music at 5 in the mornin on a regular basis just to make sure she has an idea how annoying she is, i'd then consider apologising to the other surrounding neighbours though....

Might be worth a shot :D

The problem with that solution is that it could potentailly turn into a little 'arms race' which each side trying the p*ss the other off more.

She sounds stubborn enough to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Ultimately the landlord is responsible for a noisy tenant, the PRTB could be the way to go but keep at the Management Co and the Landlord.

Don't worry about a counter complaint as you already said she has received a few letters from Management Co so obviously there is more than just you complaining. Get the Management Co to contact the Landlord and say that unles he sorts it immediately you are going to the PRTB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭meesa

I had similar problems. Just get the landlords number and ring him when she blasts her ghetto! Let him hear the crap you have to put up with from his tenant.
    Best of luck...nothing worse than an ignorant neighbour.

Advertisement