Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How long can u drive after NCT failure ?

Options
  • 24-03-2008 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi . Maybe someone knows the answer to this ? How long can you legally drive a car after it has failed its NCT ? I'm trying to get as much use as posible out of my old car before i take it "off the road" (planning to leave it in the garden). Its tax runs out at end of March, and NCT due date is Mid April. What I'm trying to find out is whether I should tax it for 3 months, or just take it off the road on Monday week. I'd pay the 46 quid to tax it for the 3 months if I knew i could use it up till say the end of May. Anyone got any advice ? Thnx Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Technically and legal, no time...

In practice they don't seem to care if everything else is ok.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Yep, technically it's a mandatory court appearance for not displaying an NCT cert, but it's way down the list of priorities of the Gardai, and currently - bizarrely - is not a penalty points offense.
    There is plans to bring in a 5 points penalty however.

http://www.penaltypoints.ie/mandatory_court_appearance.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

My NCT is well out :rolleyes:, recently failed on a leaky shock absorber, got the retest in 2 weeks time. Over the last 3 months I have gone through approx 7 checkpoints and each time the Guard has looked at the disks (tax and insurance are valid :D) and waved me through each time. Never questioned about the NCT being out of date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Bmark

Hi, I was under the impression that the guards didn't bother with the nct - i let mine lapse, last weekend i was stopped at a checkpoint near where i live. I was breathalised (zero)everything as working perfectly on the car lights, tyres etc, also had insurance and tax. then i was informed that i would receive 3 summonses for not having a valid NCT disc on the car. I rang the nct on the Tuesday and was told they nailed hundreds of people over the same thing ! So the moral of the story is don't take the car out on the road without it - they are starting to clamp down on it big time !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Bmark wrote: »
    Hi, I was under the impression that the guards didn't bother with the nct - i let mine lapse, last weekend i was stopped at a checkpoint near where i live. I was breathalised (zero)everything as working perfectly on the car lights, tyres etc, also had insurance and tax. then i was informed that i would receive 3 summonses for not having a valid NCT disc on the car. I rang the nct on the Tuesday and was told they nailed hundreds of people over the same thing ! So the moral of the story is don't take the car out on the road without it - they are starting to clamp down on it big time !

3 posts in the last 1 minutes on the same subject in the same forum. Are you sure you don't work for the NCTS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

testicle wrote: »
    3 posts in the last 1 minutes on the same subject in the same forum. Are you sure you don't work for the NCTS?

give him a break , he only registered today :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Bmark

testicle wrote: »
    Nah i dont work for them just worried whats gona happen in court - i have never been before !!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Legally - no grace.

Most guards will apply common sense and if the car seems ok, let you on. There are some pedantists out there though.

Advertisement