Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about Extension Planning Permission and Nixer Rates

• 24-03-2008 6:20pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

(Posted for a mate)

I am doing a favour for my friend and drawing up planning documents for an extension to the side of her house. I have done a survey and I have a good idea of what drawings I have to produce. I am wondering if anyone would be able to show me any similar examples that they have submitted for planning so I can figure out what way to lay out the sheets etc. I am a student on my year out and I am used to working on much bigger projects and I am not familiar with the standard submission of this scale would be.

Also, as it is a job for a friend I am unsure of what the going professional rate is, so its hard to estimate a reduced price for her. Does anyone have any experience/advice regarding this?

Thanks very much,
    Jess (posting on behalf of a mate who's a bit fecked...!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Most local authorities now have an online planning system where all planning documents including the plans and maps etc can be viewed and even printed. You could trawl through that and it will give you an idea of what is needed.

The scales are mostly 1:50 and 1:100 for plans with site layouts at no less than 1:500.

Regarding a fee well everyone would have their own rate so it is difficult to put a figure on it but in your case i think you should charge maybe about €20 per hour.

I could tell you what I charge but it would only bring a tear to your eye :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

My freind says you sound nice and she loves you... lol!
    We're searching Fingal Co Co (shes in Swords so she cant be DCC!) but the site is crazy hard to get results from... we're finding things like this but its not the actual submission documents if you know what I mean. Just need an example of layout and what drawings to submit (plans, elevations etc). This is turning out to be quite frustrating because I know excatly what I am doing with the exception of this last bit!

Oh, and THANKS!

Edit: We found some stuff on South Dub Co Co, so we she has a good idea now I think. Thanks again!!

She loves me? Let her show it the next time Im in Dublin :D

I see what you mean about the doucument on the Fingal Coco website. It doesnt allow you to view the plans. I think Dublin coco is the same as i tried to access my sister's application for an extension to her house in Drumcondra but all I got was the written text of the application similar to your results.

Have a look at this from the Donegal council web site or another application in the same estate.

Click on the "View related documents" tab at the top of the page and then you can view everything. It will give you an idea.

Hope this helps.

Edit: The links above are not currently working but should you need to access them again give it a day or so and they should be sorted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

She's gone to get the measurements for the attic and stuff now but the links you gave were way better than the ones we found ourselves. It was an A1 v.prof sheet - whereas what you linked is a lot less intimidating. PDF example of mega hard looking stuff here!

You may find something similar on the South Dublin coco site but have a look here at this document and click on the "Guide to making a planning application" and the "Summary of 2006 regulations" links. The regs are the same throughout the country so both links above will tell you all you need to know regarding the process involved.

One little thing that may be important. In Donegal we get away without specifying the opening hours of the Council in the public notices but it may be compulsory to include that where you are.

Your local planning department will have a "validation technician" who does what it says on the tin - checks and validates the applications. If you have any doubt as to local requirements you can always give him/her a quick call and they will help you out Im sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Most seams to be covered now, but SDCC have a pretty good website, all docs available, incuding third part submissions.

As for what rate to charge. It depends on level of skill really, the better you are the quicker you will be and then the higher you should get paid.

If this is there first application, then they will likely spend alot of time checking stuff online etc, so I wouldn't include this time when calculation fee. When I was a student I charged €15 an hour.

Advertisement