Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair balance in allowances?

Options
  • 24-03-2008 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭

I refer to this thread:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55471111#post55471111

While I can appreciate Irish people will have an unintentional biased view on the situation based on the information given by the available media (from my viewpoint) I believe that it is not correct that so many threads can be started on how evil China is and this solitary thread purporting to give the opposite view is locked and closed. The video in question contains facts that the Western media is unwilling to broadcast and I think gives a fair view of what Chinese people's take on the situation is. Thus I believe it is a valuable resource (whether you agree with the opinions or not) - especially for political discussion.

The poster's English is not of a very high standard and seems to be a quick to anger but nevertheless I believe the link to the video is still an informative one. I know much has been said that boards.ie is not a democracy but it seems rather hypocritical that people who lambaste China's take on free speech practise the same themselves.

Being a Chinese born Irish national I have an interest in seeing both sides of the story being reported so I believe that the moderator has acted inappropriately in this circumstance.

Also - it would seem that the thread would have died a natural death due to the lack of interest being shown by posters to actively discuss the issues, the act of locking it seems excessive in any case.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

does freedom of speech apply when you're talking about communists?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Yes, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Thirdfox wrote: »
    I refer to this thread:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55471111#post55471111

While I can appreciate Irish people will have an unintentional biased view on the situation based on the information given by the available media (from my viewpoint) I believe that it is not correct that so many threads can be started on how evil China is and this solitary thread purporting to give the opposite view is locked and closed.

The video in question contains facts that the Western media is unwilling to broadcast and I think gives a fair view of what Chinese people's take on the situation is. Thus I believe it is a valuable resource (whether you agree with the opinions or not) - especially for political discussion.

The poster's English is not of a very high standard and seems to be a quick to anger but nevertheless I believe the link to the video is still an informative one. I know much has been said that boards.ie is not a democracy but it seems rather hypocritical that people who lambaste China's take on free speech practise the same themselves.

Being a Chinese born Irish national I have an interest in seeing both sides of the story being reported so I believe that the moderator has acted inappropriately in this circumstance.

Also - it would seem that the thread would have died a natural death due to the lack of interest being shown by posters to actively discuss the issues, the act of locking it seems excessive in any case.

Some points.
    1. I'm not Irish
    2. I have Chinese ancestry
    3. There was a thread already open on the subject.
    4. The video is still available for viewing.
    5. The original post is contrary to the forum rules on starting threads.
    6. At no stage has their been a bias by me or other moderators in the current open thread.

The thread would probably have died a death because another one existed. You are free to discuss it there and give whatever view you like, so long as it meets the forums rules.

On point three I must say that I am in the wrong - there was only one other thread in the politics forum (I had responded to 3 or 4 in the AH forum and confused them with threads from the political forum). I apologise for my mistake.

Would it not have been more reasonable to merge the two threads together in this case then?

Thirdfox wrote: »
    On point three I must say that I am in the wrong - there was only one other thread in the politics forum (I had responded to 3 or 4 in the AH forum and confused them with threads from the political forum). I apologise for my mistake.

Would it not have been more reasonable to merge the two threads together in this case then?

No problem on the mistake.

The thread itself is spammed with nonsense replies and the OPs admission that it was "an experiment" doesn't give me reason to treat the thread with any respect. It is however there for all to see, to link to or to bring into the other thread.

I'd left it open originally in the hope the the OP would actually go somewhere with the thread, when he didn't, I closed it. Merging would probably have created continuity issues in the other thread too.

• Advertisement

All Ok then?

Hey Gandalf, this is my first politics-derived feedback thread, after how many months? I think you lost the bet :p

Yep - all okay.

And I've stopped the ill-thoughtout crusade to educate the masses in AH... they just want their fun, who am I to try and spoil it for them?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Cool. Thread closed.

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement