Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion thermostat question

• 24-03-2008 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hello,

I was wondering is it normal to not have a thermostat 'disc' for the immersion? I dont have one, just the bath/sink switches.... how high would the water temperature go on one of these setups?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

I have never seen one without a small dial at the top you can adjust with a screwdriver. Mine is usually at 50C.

The way to check the temperature setting is to run the hot tap for a while (till the pipes heat up) and put a thermometer under the running water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭blackbox

Some of them are preset with no adjuster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MickLimk

Reyman wrote: »
    I have never seen one without a small dial at the top you can adjust with a screwdriver. Mine is usually at 50C.

The way to check the temperature setting is to run the hot tap for a while (till the pipes heat up) and put a thermometer under the running water.

Should never set water temp to less than 60°C. Any lower than that and it promotes growth of legionella bacteria which can cause fatal legionnaires disease...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I suspect the OP is (incorrectly) referring to a clock/timer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭FrinkDink

10-10-20 wrote: »
    I suspect the OP is (incorrectly) referring to a clock/timer...

No, Im not 'incorrectly' referring to clock/timer, Im referring to a thermostat, which would indicate the temperature that the water in the hot cylinder gets heated to. 10-10-20, the odd time I post a thread on here I have you trying to dog me... if you cant be helpful, and you never are, (Ooooh, there's MY little childish dig) then dont post.

• Advertisement

MickLimk wrote: »
    Should never set water temp to less than 60°C. Any lower than that and it promotes growth of legionella bacteria which can cause fatal legionnaires disease...

Thanks ! That's a good one, Mick. Though I don't usually drink it, so maybe I'm safe enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭FrinkDink

Does that mean maintaining the water temp at or above 60 degrees all the time? If so, I wouldn't want to see my electricity bill, or would it make much of a difference?

If you take the mean ambient temperature of the water as 10C, then heating it to 50C will use 40X electricity.
    Heating it to 60C will use 50X electricity or 25% more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

FrinkDink wrote: »
    Does that mean maintaining the water temp at or above 60 degrees all the time? If so, I wouldn't want to see my electricity bill, or would it make much of a difference?

If water is sitting in the tank for a week at luke-warm temperatures, it should be heated to at least 60°C to kill off the bacteria.

Its a rare situation anyway, not really an issue with oil/electric heating but can be an issue with solar.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

FrinkDink, i have looked back on the posts that both yourself and 10-10-20 have posted on and i can't see him trying to annoy you, rather him giving advice and you not wanting to take it up. Don't throw accusations around that you can't back up or you'll take a holiday from the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MickLimk

Reyman wrote: »
    Thanks ! That's a good one, Mick. Though I don't usually drink it, so maybe I'm safe enough.

Wouldn't bet on it. Know of a case where someone died from Legionnaires disease from a shower that hadn't been used in a long time. Water had been stagnant at a temp <60°C for a considerable period before being used. This was in a hospital in Ireland by the way.

We have showers in work and they have to be run every day as part of the cleaning check list. Don't know the exact in's & out's of it but would guess that you're probably safer with water that's run regularly like it would be in a house compared to a place that it might be used infrequently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭10-10-20

FrinkDink wrote: »
    No, Im not 'incorrectly' referring to clock/timer, Im referring to a thermostat, which would indicate the temperature that the water in the hot cylinder gets heated to. 10-10-20, the odd time I post a thread on here I have you trying to dog me... if you cant be helpful, and you never are, (Ooooh, there's MY little childish dig) then dont post.

I'm sorry, but you have me wrong there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

I'm digging up this old thread in the hope that someone can help me. Is the thermostat adjuster actually on the tank itself? I have boiling hot water that comes from all the taps and I can't suss out where I can adjust the temperature. There is the immersion on/off and timer switches and other than that I can't see anything else.

BTW The house and tank are maybe 15 years old.

Where is this small dial located that can be adjusted with a screwdriver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

finisklin wrote: »
    I'm digging up this old thread in the hope that someone can help me. Is the thermostat adjuster actually on the tank itself? I have boiling hot water that comes from all the taps and I can't suss out where I can adjust the temperature. There is the immersion on/off and timer switches and other than that I can't see anything else.

BTW The house and tank are maybe 15 years old.

Where is this small dial located that can be adjusted with a screwdriver?

On many heaters the thermostat adjustment is under the top junction box cover, which has to be removed to carry out adjustments. See:

http://www.diydata.com/problem/immersion/immersion_heaters.php

Advertisement