Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battery Chargers with variable Amp setting

Options
  • 24-03-2008 7:23pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

On changers with vairable amp settings how do you know what to set it to fo different batteries?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Set it to the value on the side of one of the cells. That way it won't be forcing in more current than the cells can take.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

as feylya said its normal displayed on the side of the cells, or if you can not see it you can normal look it up

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

feylya wrote: »
    Set it to the value on the side of one of the cells. That way it won't be forcing in more current than the cells can take.

Makes sense :D

Of course it makes sense - I said it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

feylya wrote: »

yup, just make sure you read the right value, 2/3A does not mean 0.66 Amps or 2-3Amps, it is the cell size

• Advertisement

Whats the story if its not on the cells?

Do you know how many mAH the whole battery is?

Yeah the mAH is on them alright.

I'm fairly sure there's a way to figure out the ampage of a battery from the mAH but my brain isn't working at the moment. I'm sure someone more technical than me will be along shortly...

i generally just stick the battery on at the lowest setting (0.3A on mine) and leave it at that, it's a bit faster than slow charge (0.1A), but charging too fast can damage the battery i believe.

a 1000mAh battery charged at 1amp would take an hour to charge (in theory, add 20% for inefficency)
    as a general rule of thumb, the max amps i set the charger to if im in a hurry is the amps necessary for 1 hour
    so a 600mah battery i set to 0.6A
    1400mah => 1.4A
    1700mah => 1.7A
    2400mah => 2.4A
    etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

kdouglas wrote: »
    i generally just stick the battery on at the lowest setting (0.3A on mine) and leave it at that, it's a bit faster than slow charge (0.1A), but charging too fast can damage the battery i believe.

a 1000mAh battery charged at 1amp would take an hour to charge (in theory, add 20% for inefficency)
    as a general rule of thumb, the max amps i set the charger to if im in a hurry is the amps necessary for 1 hour
    so a 600mah battery i set to 0.6A
    1400mah => 1.4A
    1700mah => 1.7A
    2400mah => 2.4A
    etc...

Ehh, I charge my 1400s at 2.25! Hmmm. You have a TLP 4000c too dont you keith? Do your batts heat at all while charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Beast ASI

If I'm in a rush I should leave it at 5.5A, or the night before just set it on a discharge then recharge cycle on the TLP-15.

Ehh, I charge my 1400s at 2.25! Hmmm. You have a TLP 4000c too dont you keith? Do your batts heat at all while charging.

i used to have the 4000c, have the TP15 now

my batteries heat up very mildly towards the end of the charging cycle, which is normal, i've never found a need to have my battery charged in less than an hour and i'd rather not charge my batteries too quick incase I damage them, im not saying the Amp ratings i use are the max you can use, they are just what I normally use at most.
    Ordinarily when i'm charging i leave my batteries over night and stick them on slow charge

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

kdouglas wrote: »
    i used to have the 4000c, have the TP15 now

my batteries heat up very mildly towards the end of the charging cycle, which is normal, i've never found a need to have my battery charged in less than an hour and i'd rather not charge my batteries too quick incase I damage them, im not saying the Amp ratings i use are the max you can use, they are just what I normally use at most.
    Ordinarily when i'm charging i leave my batteries over night and stick them on slow charge

But slow is just a trickle is it not? Do they last long?

When I use 2.25 it takes 40-60 mins for a 1400 8.4 leaving it warm. Seems ok. I'd do it slower but with 3 peoples batts it would take a week:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

i have always charged like KD said here on the lowest setting. it may take a bit longer (then again i wouldnt know as i have never charged any other way) but i have not had one battery go wallop yet (the only exception was the faulty one). incidentally, the battery i got last year with my dboys has always been charged this way too and it is still going strong, so i am guessing if its good enough for that its good enough for the higher quality ones i have...

Advertisement