Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers at the back of Charlesland Park

Options
  • 24-03-2008 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi All,

We have some new neighbours in the field behind the back row of houses in CP - they moved in today. There are two caravans and a number of other vehicles, including a commercial van.

I am concerned about this as today we had young children walking on the back wall. This is a 12 foot wall - so quite a drop.

Also, planning permission for houses on this land has been rejected for a number of reasons, should this not also apply to caravans?

The gardai advise that this is private land and to contact the owners. I suppose Orla Durkan would be the first port of call. Also they advised that concerned residents should contact the property management company. The gardai's hands are tied as the travellers are not on public land.

Finally, I am concerned that I will return from work tomorrow and there will be several more caravans.

Can anyone who is also concerned about this please contact Durkans and Cuala Property Management!!!!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

BlueJumper wrote: »
    I am concerned about this as today we had young children walking on the back wall. This is a 12 foot wall - so quite a drop.

If their parents aren't concerned then neither should you be.

Just throwing this out there, could be completly wrong.
    It's not unknown for a landowners who has failed to get planning permission to invite travellers onto the land.
    Ever hear "drop your objections or I'll turn this into a halting site!".
    You may find the local NIMBY'S are more afraid of this than they are of more housing being built on the land. A pretty effective technique to piss off locals who seem to object to absolutly everything (NIMBY) and often with no good reason.

So while it's almost certain that they may be trespassing, I wouldn't be entirely shocked if maybe the land owner was up to something.

Nowhere am I implying that the good people for Charlesland were in any way doing this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

I saw three kids today (10-12 y.o), very rough-looking, walking up the path separating Park and Grove, checking out houses and throwing small rocks at windows of those with owners out! Rang the guards, don't know if they did anything about it. That explains it then. I definitely suggest anyone concerned to ring both Durkans and Cuala.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Get used to it there used to be a halting site in kilcoole for years until they built warehouses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭anniec

Durkans do not own the land and have handed estate over to the residents so contact zapi and the management company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 BlueJumper

Hi there,

Thanks all.

Here's the advice from Orla Durkan - you were right about the land ownership.

'Unfortunately as the travelers are not on the Charlesland site this issue is out of our hands. The property behind your house as far as I know is owned by Zappi properties- this is private property. Zappi properties are made up of Ballymore Homes and Mountbrook Homes. You might want to contact either of these companies and they may be able to get the Gardai to remove the travelers. If the travelers are coming on to the site you may want to contact Cuala Property Management as they have been in place for some time now and deal with all issues relating to the site. Their phone number is 01-2801282'

• Advertisement

Cuala Property Management – 2801282 / gilliancuala@eircom.net

Ballymore Homes – 045 864164 - info@ballymoreproperties.ie

Mountbrook Homes – 6110300 – not sure of email address.

I can’t find contact details for Zapi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

Good news - having mailed Ballymore, (as I'm sure others did), I got a reply to say that they had sent security to the site and the visitors have been moved on.

Furthermore, they sent out a JCB to dig a trench to avoid further incidents. I am at home today and can see it working away.

I explained in my mail that we have had an incident already with the arson attack.

Hi Maisy,

Great news! And a very quick response.

What's this you say about an arson attack??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

I'll PM you for a quick synopsis - the incident was outlined here previously, don't want to bore folks !

I was very impressed with the quick proactive response - I was honestly expecting it to run and run - you know yourself, if its not nipped in the bud.... I feel its a little shortsighted to think issues like this only affect folks in the back row ( I am in the second last row) - they have a knock on affect on the entire development.

Cuala also mailed me to explain their position but that they had been onto Zapi to fill them in, who advised they would tackle the matter immediately - again, a positvie reaction. I know the Man Co comes in for a bit of flak but I applaud them on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

blah

Toodle-pip Tayto - into the Wesht with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Just a quick note....

The Travellers may have been moved on but they are still in the area.
    A teenage traveller was going door to door this morning in Charlesland wood.

When I answered the door he looked surprised that someone was in and then started rambling on asking were there any Polish people or people renting in the area. He gave no explanation as to why he wanted to know this.
    I was busy trying to get lunch ready so didn't bother to investigate further.
    He just walked off and started making his way up through the lane that runs between the houses & duplexes.

Keep an eye out residents of Charlesland, it looked to me like he was scoping out the house and others in the neighbourhood, (Our curtains were open) he rang the door bell twice, knocked on the front windows and the door as well, basically making enough noise to check & see if anyone was home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

DK32 wrote: »
    Just a quick note....

The Travellers may have been moved on but they are still in the area.
    A teenage traveller was going door to door this morning in Charlesland wood.

When I answered the door he looked surprised that someone was in and then started rambling on asking were there any Polish people or people renting in the area. He gave no explanation as to why he wanted to know this.
    I was busy trying to get lunch ready so didn't bother to investigate further.
    He just walked off and started making his way up through the lane that runs between the houses & duplexes.

Keep an eye out residents of Charlesland, it looked to me like he was scoping out the house and others in the neighbourhood, (Our curtains were open) he rang the door bell twice, knocked on the front windows and the door as well, basically making enough noise to check & see if anyone was home.

Did you alert the Gardai. I would have thought that would have been sufficient concern to do so ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Yes, I hope that you did. I understand the Gardai were searching the estate at speed for something. Please dont take a ''it's not my business'' approach when this sort of thing happens. Ring the Garda. They will move them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

The Gardai were called as the guy was walking off, they said would send a car up to have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Good on you. They did come.
    If you saw that programme about crime last night on RTE(crimecall, I think it is) and the robbery at Kilcoole with one of those trademark Transit vans involved; it's safe to say that there are some serious scumbags around.

Advertisement