Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service - EO exams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭passinginterest

Interview is next Wednesday, with written practical thing after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭AlexBM

Hmmmm, I haven't heard anything about an actual interview yet, just had to fill in the IPQ...I wonder if I should contact them about this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭death1234567

AlexBM wrote: »
    I wonder if I should contact them about this?
    I guess it depends on for which location you applied for and where you are postioned on their order. I am just going to wait and see

I guess it depends on for which location you applied for and where you are postioned on their order. I am just going to wait and see

Yeah, I was just a bit concerned now because, like passinginterest, I applied for Dublin only. I did pretty well in the exam too, so I'd be hoping it'd be quite soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Are fully written references required for the interview or just names.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Are fully written references required for the interview or just names.

Written references.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

My interview is scheduled for next friday although I highly doubt I'll take the job if offered. I'm going to go along for the experience. My main concern is that there is too little chance of promotion at EO level for my age (23) especially with the disastrous policy of decentralisation leaving many experienced, middle aged EOs hanging around Dublin. The pay is an extra 6k on my current job (but the chances of promotion are far greater) and the possibility of being sent to some terribly boring dept where you're expected to reach unachievable targets and motivate an apathetic staff fills me with terror. According to my parents (who worked all their lives in the Service) - EO's are assigned to departments according to demands and not ability. They advised me going into the CS at any level below AO is a surefire way to literally let your career stagnate. A word of caution to ambitious candidates. The request for a written reference from your current boss is fairly ridiculous as well considering at the interview stage, you have no guarantees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 jesusofnaz

pearcider wrote: »
    The request for a written reference from your current boss is fairly ridiculous as well considering at the interview stage, you have no guarantees.

shurely shome mishtake? I can understand two written refs from previous employers but your current one? A big ask.

jesusofnaz wrote: »
    shurely shome mishtake? I can understand two written refs from previous employers but your current one? A big ask.

It doesn't have to be a current one. The IPQ cover letter states:

'Two references from previous and/or present employers'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The reference thing really seems to me of a bureaucracy that cannot comprehend an existence beyond its own borders.

Sure if you want a job within the Civil service its no hassle applying for a senior role if you already work there.

But apply outside of the Civil service and being expected to ask you current employer for a reference on the off chance that the Civil service might offer you a job seems incredibly short sited and out of touch with the world outside of the civil service.

Absolutely NO other employer would expect you to do this in the private sector.

I'm having second thoughts about the whole thing, alarm bells are ringing tbh. A employer that cannot comprehend the world outside itself is hardly a place to grow in...

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Supercell wrote: »

Sure if you want a job within the Civil service its no hassle applying for a senior role if you already work there.

But apply outside of the Civil service and being expected to ask you current employer for a reference on the off chance that the Civil service might offer you a job seems incredibly short sited and out of touch with the world outside of the civil service.

Believe you me- its far easier to apply as an external candidate :(
    Aoife and myself were looking for a sideways move into IT, we were refused internal transfers (not promotions) irrespective of our qualifications and suitability for the job, and advised the only way to change sections was to sit the external competition and beat the 11,000 odd other candidates at exam and then interview, made provide previous references from employers of less than 10 years ago, undergo medical evaluations by the CMO (despite the fact that we were quite happily working there already), and finally made wait while the internal promotional panel (which comprised 40% of the positions- but we were not eligible to apply for as we're both already EOs) got its act together and moved their people. As a final step- both our current sections are refusing to release us, as despite the fact that we are allegedly easily replaceable administrative EOs, they cannot find anyone sufficiently qualified to do our jobs (particularly in light of the fact that any new incoming staff have to agree to move to Portlaoise). So- 7 months down the road- we have job offers, but no idea of when we may eventually be given a date to move to the new section.......

Believe you me- its far far easier to get a promotion and initial post externally, than it is internally........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

smccarrick wrote: »
    Believe you me- its far easier to apply as an external candidate :(
    Aoife and myself were looking for a sideways move into IT, we were refused internal transfers (not promotions) irrespective of our qualifications and suitability for the job, and advised the only way to change sections was to sit the external competition and beat the 11,000 odd other candidates at exam and then interview, made provide previous references from employers of less than 10 years ago, undergo medical evaluations by the CMO (despite the fact that we were quite happily working there already), and finally made wait while the internal promotional panel (which comprised 40% of the positions- but we were not eligible to apply for as we're both already EOs) got its act together and moved their people. As a final step- both our current sections are refusing to release us, as despite the fact that we are allegedly easily replaceable administrative EOs, they cannot find anyone sufficiently qualified to do our jobs (particularly in light of the fact that any new incoming staff have to agree to move to Portlaoise). So- 7 months down the road- we have job offers, but no idea of when we may eventually be given a date to move to the new section.......

Believe you me- its far far easier to get a promotion and initial post externally, than it is internally........

I still can't believe that our Unions signed up so willingly to decentralisation in its present guise. It will be the biggest waste of the public's money ever imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭bobbygirl

Just wondering if anyone has had an interview yet and how they found it? I only got my forms in last week as I was away when they were sent out but was informed that only the first 90 were being called at the moment !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

has anyone heard anything about the EO ICT exam?? Filled in the docs and emailed back but have heard nothing since..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

dubdub123 wrote: »
    has anyone heard anything about the EO ICT exam?? Filled in the docs and emailed back but have heard nothing since..

Same here, nothing yet.

The EO ICT competition is a subcompetition of the Open EO competition. You are entitled to apply for it if you meet the qualifying criteria- such as a degree or a certain amount of pertinent experience in the area. The qualifications/criteria you claim would not normally be checked until such time as you are called to interview. Depending on how you did in the main exam- will determine your EO ICT position on the interview panel (obviously you're EO ICT position will be a lot higher than your general EO position- as very few people claim the requisite qualifications and put a tick in the EO ICT box.

Hope this helps.......

Shane

Well I did the interview and the written assessment today. The interview was fairly straight forward, the two people on the panel were very nice, made sure I had plenty of water and even got me a second one during the interview when they noticed I was running low. Never ran out of things to rabbit on about, the questions followed the pre-interview questionnaire word for word, although they allowed scope to bring in other examples too. Think I went on for longer than was planned, I only stumbled a bit at the end when I froze a bit when asked if I had any questions. Obviously I wanted to ask how long before we heard back and that kind of thing, but I drew a blank. Didn't matter anyway because they said to me that it would be about 10 days as I was leaving.

I had about an hour to wait around before the written exercise. First 20 minute exercise was to write a letter acknowledging receipt of a grant application, mentioning some specific details that were outlined. Make sure to keep an eye on the time here it's pretty tight. I decided to use the pen for both exercises, after one or two mistakes I think maybe the pencil would have been better!

The second 25 minute exercise kind of followed on from the letter. This time we were asked to analyse a grant application, marking it against criteria outlined in three documents. This was again fairly tight for time, and tricky enough.

Overall I think I did better in the interview than the written test. Happy enough anyway. Totally drained after it, I tend to hide my nerves fairly well before and during things like this, then feel exhausted afterwards.

In two weeks time hopefully I'll be posting here to let ye know I was successful. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Jobs freeze coming up in the public sector apparently. Could throw a spanner in the works. :(

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/lenihan-to-order-jobs-freeze-as-slump-bites-1421241.html

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭bobbygirl

Well I did the interview and the written assessment today. The interview was fairly straight forward, the two people on the panel were very nice, made sure I had plenty of water and even got me a second one during the interview when they noticed I was running low. Never ran out of things to rabbit on about, the questions followed the pre-interview questionnaire word for word, although they allowed scope to bring in other examples too. Think I went on for longer than was planned, I only stumbled a bit at the end when I froze a bit when asked if I had any questions. Obviously I wanted to ask how long before we heard back and that kind of thing, but I drew a blank. Didn't matter anyway because they said to me that it would be about 10 days as I was leaving.

I had about an hour to wait around before the written exercise. First 20 minute exercise was to write a letter acknowledging receipt of a grant application, mentioning some specific details that were outlined. Make sure to keep an eye on the time here it's pretty tight. I decided to use the pen for both exercises, after one or two mistakes I think maybe the pencil would have been better!

The second 25 minute exercise kind of followed on from the letter. This time we were asked to analyse a grant application, marking it against criteria outlined in three documents. This was again fairly tight for time, and tricky enough.

Overall I think I did better in the interview than the written test. Happy enough anyway. Totally drained after it, I tend to hide my nerves fairly well before and during things like this, then feel exhausted afterwards.

In two weeks time hopefully I'll be posting here to let ye know I was successful. :)

Thanks for the update on this. Can you remember any of the questions asked at all? I suppose the main thing is to have more examples ready .....
    The written excercise sounds tough enough and wont help that my handwriting is dreadful !!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭steof1984

does anyone know what place they are on the list at? rang up chapter house but got no where off the girl. i placed between 150 and 200 just curious anyone who has received a reply could post to give an idea of where they placed

Thanks

• Advertisement

I think with the economy going the way it is, its probably best to stay away from the civil service as i can see pay freezes, strikes and lay off's on the horizon.
    I'm better off as a skilled worker in the private sector.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I refer to your recent participation in the Stage 2 Selection Process held in connection with the above competition.

I am pleased to inform you that you have reached the qualifying standard and have been placed on the order of merit for Region 1. You will come under consideration for appointment to the position of Executive Officer in the Civil Service when and if vacancies arise in that region.

Candidates for any post on offer will be subject to the Public Appointments Service being satisfied as to qualification for appointment with regard to health, character and eligibility for the position of Executive Officer.

On behalf of the Public Appointments Service I would like to thank you for your application.

Got this today. Guess I did OK in the interview and practical. Would have been nice to get some idea of where on this order of merit I am or how many positions are likely to be offered.

Can't see too many jobs going in most Departments, the government won't want to contribute to the dole queues. They had to hire extra staff in Social Welfare to cope. Administrative staff in health and similar services are most at risk I suppose.

I'm happy anyway. Just hope I don't end up sitting on this list indefinitely. I know my current Department would like to keep me, hoping that they might be able to exert some influence. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭inarut

Supercell wrote: »
    I think with the economy going the way it is, its probably best to stay away from the civil service as i can see pay freezes, strikes and lay off's on the horizon.
    I'm better off as a skilled worker in the private sector.

I have to disagree with those daft points. For a start I wouldn't associate the civil service with lay offs somehow in an increasingly insecure environment. IMO its better to be there than most places at this point in time.
    Anyway you're better off being a skilled worker in the private sector than us unskilled workers in the public sector. From reading some of these posts, I think its only sour grapes from one who has been making a futile attempt to get in to the service through these exams:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭inarut

Got this today. Guess I did OK in the interview and practical. Would have been nice to get some idea of where on this order of merit I am or how many positions are likely to be offered.

Can't see too many jobs going in most Departments, the government won't want to contribute to the dole queues. They had to hire extra staff in Social Welfare to cope. Administrative staff in health and similar services are most at risk I suppose.

I'm happy anyway. Just hope I don't end up sitting on this list indefinitely. I know my current Department would like to keep me, hoping that they might be able to exert some influence. :)

Ring the public appointments commission where they'll let you know where exactly you are on the order of merit and when you might be called.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

Was also informed I made the grade today - leaning towards the EO now due to the job security, guaranteed wage increase and new experiences it will provide me. Tbh though, I'm hoping I can squeeze a promotion out of the current job instead.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Heard back today.

"I am pleased to inform you that on foot of examination of your Supplementary Application Form you have reached the qualifying standard and now will come under consideration for appointment to the position of Executive Officer (ICT) in the Civil Service when and if vacancies arise.

As vacancies arise, you will be contacted with information regarding the next stage(s) of the process. At that time you will also receive, from the Department/Office in question, a job specification and information regarding the location of the post. You may then apply for the vacancy if it is in an area in which you are willing to take up duty. If you apply for a post you will be asked to supply further information to the Department/Office in question. Using the information you have supplied the Department/ Office concerned may then carry out short listing and/or interviews."

A lot of hoops...

A lot of hoops...

Yes- but they are determined to recruit the best qualified people possible for the jobs available. In the past the process was not as open- the current system where appointments and promotions are strictly on merit, is a lot better for everyone concerned.

I got the same ICT email too, tbh much more interested in the ICT role than the other EO role, hope something comes up soon.
    Whether vacancies arise is another matter with the recession and everything though, can easily see there being a recruitment freeze in the Civil Service.

I had my written exercise and interview yesterday. I also used pen and then regretted it. I think it went okay, but it's so hard to know. And it sounds stupid, but I need lined pages to write on - I can't be doing with these blank sheets, especially within a time constraint.

I don't think my interview went that well. I've been having a few personal problems recently, and was in an awful state all day on Wednesday. I definitely didn't do as well as I could have, so I think I might be posting here with bad news at some stage. I also had less than 10 minutes between the test and the interview, which didn't help at all. At least one of the others had an hour - I would have preferred more time.

Congrats to those of you that were successful - I'm surprised they didn't give a rank though. As I understood it, each individual would be re-ranked according to how they did in the interview and the written exercises. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Also, following on from earlier, a word of advice for anyone yet to sit their written exam thing - use a pencil. I can't stress that enough.

• Advertisement

AlexBM wrote: »
    As I understood it, each individual would be re-ranked according to how they did in the interview and the written exercises. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Correct.
    Your interview is ranked according to how you answered each of the 4 competencies (max 200 points) and then additional points awarded for the presentation (and a topup if you elect to do the Irish Language interview too). It can take them a little while to compile the stats after the interviews, not long normally though.

Anyone do the AO exam?

Advertisement