Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service - EO exams

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭AlexBM

smccarrick wrote: »
    Correct.
    Your interview is ranked according to how you answered each of the 4 competencies (max 200 points) and then additional points awarded for the presentation (and a topup if you elect to do the Irish Language interview too). It can take them a little while to compile the stats after the interviews, not long normally though.

Anyone do the AO exam?

Thanks s. Any idea when we'll be notified of what ranking we are, if we're successful? I would have presumed the candidate is informed when they're told whether they passed or failed, basically (i.e. within 10 days or so), but it doesn't look that way judging from replies so far...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

AlexBM wrote: »
    Thanks s. Any idea when we'll be notified of what ranking we are, if we're successful? I would have presumed the candidate is informed when they're told whether they passed or failed, basically (i.e. within 10 days or so), but it doesn't look that way judging from replies so far...

You get a place for interview based on the results of the examination. Once you do the interview- your previous place is irrelevant you once again pass or fail. After the interview, it depends on how many people they are interviewing and over what period they are holding the interviews, they are normally reasonably fast at giving you the results. This will be your place on the panel. Once you have your place on the panel- its another waiting game. Thereafter it depends on requests from Departments for staff- before the panel will move at all. Depending on the nature of the post you're going for- you may be asked to attend a further interview with the Department that proposes to employ you.

It can be time consuming- and with the spectre of a public sector recruitment freeze- it may be a process that actually ends up taking 2-3 years (depending on how high up the panel you are). Then again- if you're high enough up the panel, and recruitment is happening- it could happen very quickly, in a matter of weeks.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭passinginterest

AlexBM wrote: »
    I had my written exercise and interview yesterday. I also used pen and then regretted it. I think it went okay, but it's so hard to know. And it sounds stupid, but I need lined pages to write on - I can't be doing with these blank sheets, especially within a time constraint.

I don't think my interview went that well. I've been having a few personal problems recently, and was in an awful state all day on Wednesday. I definitely didn't do as well as I could have, so I think I might be posting here with bad news at some stage. I also had less than 10 minutes between the test and the interview, which didn't help at all. At least one of the others had an hour - I would have preferred more time.

Congrats to those of you that were successful - I'm surprised they didn't give a rank though. As I understood it, each individual would be re-ranked according to how they did in the interview and the written exercises. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Also, following on from earlier, a word of advice for anyone yet to sit their written exam thing - use a pencil. I can't stress that enough.

Hope it's good news for you and that your problems get sorted. The ruled paper issue was tricky, I put the ruled rough work sheet under the other one, I could just about make out the lines and it helped a bit.

I phoned to get more information on time frame and position on the order of merit. They told me they might have an offer within a week :eek:

My manager was rather shocked, especially as personnel had said it was unlikely that they would get the option to keep me. I think they had a few words as today I was told I was 99% going to be assigned to my current department. Major relief for my manager, and a bit for me, although a part of me was getting excited about a totally fresh challenge.

Still didn't get a told my position on this order of merit, must be pretty high if they were expecting to offer me a position within a week. I have a feeling they're rushing through in anticipation of an announcement of a recruitment freeze next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Im trying to prepare for this interview, all i can really do is read over the answers i gave in my pre interview questionaire and know how to write a letter? Anything else?

Also with the letter, how specific are they with what you have to write or do you just write what you think should be said? and its just a standard formal letter ie this format:

Date
    Project Director
    Grantee Organisation
    Address

Dear Mr,

We acknowledge reciept that bla bla bla

Yours Sincerely,

Tbh im more than liekly not going to take this job if I do get offered, but its still nice to have the option...

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

Has anyone else heard back on this ? I just got an email to indicate that I had not been successful in meeting minimum requirements based on supplementary form, which I am totally gobsmacked about having quite a few years experience in IT !! Based on my experience it's obvious that I do meet minimum requirements .. Has anyone else received notification either way on this?

• Advertisement

dubdub123- seriously ring them and ask on what basis it failed to meet the minimum qualifying criteria. They are tough on the educational qualifications- experience while relevant, perhaps does not get the weighting that it justifiably deserves. Ring them and ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

I got this email
    I refer to your recent participation in Selection Process held in connection with the EO (ICT) competition.

I am pleased to inform you that on foot of examination of your Supplementary Application Form you have reached the qualifying standard and now will come under consideration for appointment to the position of Executive Officer (ICT) in the Civil Service when and if vacancies arise.

As vacancies arise, you will be contacted with information regarding the next stage(s) of the process...

I'm delighted with this but not holding my breath for a job :)

thanks smccarrick - I've just emailed them to find out if I can get additional feedback. I have an honours degree in a related field and a lot of experience in IT working in both Ireland and the U.S. I really would have expected to get through to the next phase of this. I would be really interested in hearing back from other candidates on this or if anyone has ever had a decision like this changed.

Well done Ariana ! Do you mind me asking what your background is in? Have you much experience in IT? without giving away too much info if you could share some info I'd really appreciate it. You pm me if you prefer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭death1234567

ariana` wrote: »
    I got this email
    Me too.
    ariana` wrote: »
    I'm delighted with this but not holding my breath for a job :)
    Me too. :(

• Advertisement

death123456 (love the name!) - do you mind me asking what your background is in this area as well ? I'm really perplexed why I didn't get through on this .. are either of you existing civil servants by any chance?

dubdub123 wrote: »
    death123456 (love the name!) - do you mind me asking what your background is in this area as well ? I'm really perplexed why I didn't get through on this .. are either of you existing civil servants by any chance?

I have 3 years in IT and for the competencies on the form I had 5 that I listed even though they only wanted three. If I was you I'd ring them to find out exactly why you got rejected. I'm am not an existing Civil Servant either.

Yeah I need to change my username. Its on my To Do list..near the bottom.

grand - thanks for the info. I've emailed them already and will wait for today to see if I hear back. Might give a call tomorrow if I don't hear anything. don't expect anything to change though andwill probably get a letter filled with full saying what requirement I didn't meet.. perplexed..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

dubdub123 wrote: »
    thanks smccarrick - I've just emailed them to find out if I can get additional feedback. I have an honours degree in a related field and a lot of experience in IT working in both Ireland and the U.S. I really would have expected to get through to the next phase of this. I would be really interested in hearing back from other candidates on this or if anyone has ever had a decision like this changed.

Seems a bit odd. What is your degree in?

hey - without giving away too much detail.. it's in the mathematics field and included a strong emphasis on computing all the way through .. back then covered turbo pascal, fortran, stats packages, c programming, graphics and more than I dare not remember !! Have worked in IT sector for over 10 years (and currently in IT..) .. so I cannot fathom how I did not reach the required standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

OK, without wanting to give away too much myself, you've got way more experience than me! The only thing I can think of is that they were working off some kind of list of approved courses and yours wan't on it, maybe?

Well done Ariana ! Do you mind me asking what your background is in? Have you much experience in IT?

Hi. I have a degree in software and i have 7yrs mixed experience in IT, mostly project management but i did some development back in the early days.

I can't understand why you didn't meet the requirements with 10yrs experience, i'd be frustrated also if i was you.

are either of you existing civil servants by any chance?

Meant to add.. no!

thanks - i find the whole thing really odd to be honest. I've emailed the guy back that emailed me initially, but not a peep so far ! I'm interested to see what they say. If I don't hear anything I will give a call I think - even just to know what they based this on so I'll know for the future.

Did the interview and exam today, went OK i think. The interview is very intense, and quite difficult. I think my interviews were a good bit tougher than my mates who was also in today (we recorded our interviews on our mp3s in our pockets to see how we got on)

Anyone know which way its marked, is 50% for the interview and 25% for each of the tests.

Got one of the naswers wrong in the second exam, just changed it at the last minute and am raging!!

Glad its done though, now just to wait and see how I got on.

• Advertisement

hey there - got an email back on this today regarding app for EO ICT .. included usual blurb and also:
    Although you demonstrated that you met the required experience standard, on this occasion, the board felt that your application did not demonstrate to their satisfaction, the required qualifications.
    TheBigLebowski- you may have a point that they are working off a particular list of courses.. Not sure if there's anything that I can do about this. I had listed my degree, leaving cert, but hadn't listed additional training courses, that woudl cover certain areas for a week at a time.. maybe that would have helped, or possibly not. Really annoyed about this to be honest as they can see I have built up so much experience.. My course even had a very strong computing content and we shared classes with the computer applications course .... any ideas on this, or just chalk this one up ?? I'm looking for the mayo/sligo/roscommon region, so there may not even be any jobs coming up in any of those places!!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Just wondering, is the Executive Officer applied through the Graduate and Trainee/Junior Management section?

If not could someone link me.

jayteecork wrote: »
    The application phase is over for a while now. Try again in two years. (Literally)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭passinginterest

jayteecork wrote: »
    Just wondering, is the Executive Officer applied through the Graduate and Trainee/Junior Management section?

It is. Just keep an eye on it.

Got official word today. I've been assigned to my current Department. I'll have to sign a new 1 year contract and will officially commence as an EO on Saturday (so that I don't lose out on pay moving from weekly to fortnightly). At the moment I'm not even going to change my job, just my title. Although I may have the opportunity to move to another section. Delighted with myself. Anyone who thinks the civil service is a dead end when it comes to promotion and self improvement could do worse than look at my example, 20 months as a CO and now an EO. It just takes a bit of enthusiam and luck when it comes to aptitude tests and assesments.

It is. Just keep an eye on it.

Got official word today. I've been assigned to my current Department. I'll have to sign a new 1 year contract and will officially commence as an EO on Saturday (so that I don't lose out on pay moving from weekly to fortnightly). At the moment I'm not even going to change my job, just my title. Although I may have the opportunity to move to another section. Delighted with myself. Anyone who thinks the civil service is a dead end when it comes to promotion and self improvement could do worse than look at my example, 20 months as a CO and now an EO. It just takes a bit of enthusiam and luck when it comes to aptitude tests and assesments.

Well done Passinginterest- congratulations.
    Its great to hear success stories like yours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Ferrioxide

I'm the same, 2 years as a CO and now moved up a grade through this as well. My current department is keeping me as well, I haven't been told when or where exactly I'm going yet though. Delighted I must say.

Well i found out today I got placed on the panel!! Delighted! Thats for Dublin.

Can we find out how high up we got on the panel. Im planning on going out to Oz and would like to know so that if my job doesnt work out for me over there I may get offered a place back here, would just like to know.

Am delighted though. can we request our scores in each of the competencies/exam etc??

Well i found out today I got placed on the panel!! Delighted! Thats for Dublin.

Can we find out how high up we got on the panel. Im planning on going out to Oz and would like to know so that if my job doesnt work out for me over there I may get offered a place back here, would just like to know.

Am delighted though. can we request our scores in each of the competencies/exam etc??

Normally you will get a break down on these- and how the results compare to the other candidates. We got ours a few weeks back- if you enquire in the Graduate recruitment section- they should be able to help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hmm, in summary, we have one external candidate "placed" and one internal one starting his new job............doing the same as before.

I'm not going any further with this.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

So are the chances of actually being offered a job quite slim?

Do they exhaust the panel, or just run a new competition after 2 years even if theres still people on the old panel?

Advertisement