Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service - EO exams

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Bill2

Hi,

Just wanted to give people a quick update on this competition, looks like it's moving... allbeit very slowly.
    I was placed 9th on one of the panels a couple of months ago and when i rang today for an update i was told i'm now 3rd, so if it continues in this vein i hopefully will be hearing something in the new year... fingers crossed.
    So don't give up hope, has anyone else checked it out lately to see was there progress??

• Registered Users Posts: 35 applicant

I rang them two weeks ago and they told me that the number called for interview had not changed since I called last (about 2 months ago). Not sure about the whole thing anymore. Didn't expect it to take so long
    as I am finding the recruitment process very frustrating along with the fact that you don't really know where you could be sent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

applicant wrote: »
    I rang them two weeks ago and they told me that the number called for interview had not changed since I called last (about 2 months ago). Not sure about the whole thing anymore. Didn't expect it to take so long
    as I am finding the recruitment process very frustrating along with the fact that you don't really know where you could be sent.

Its unfortunate- but its a reflection of the dire straits the government finances are in. There is now talk of a supplementary budget for government departments, further reducing their 2009 allocations. There will be appointments sooner or later- but its very much a waiting game. People are retiring/dying the whole time- even with a reduction in budgets- eventually people do need to be recruited. I can only imagine your frustration with the waiting- but do hang in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

bobbygirl wrote: »
    Just thought Id give an update after all my questions about the interview!! Got a message today to say Ive been successful !! In shocjk as thought Id made a bit of a mess of the whole thing especially the letter but my 2 interviewers were really nice so could have been lucky...

Anyone else heard anything since or started a job??

Hi Bobbygirl, Well doing on passing and getting through, but i wouldnt get you're hopes to much. I went through the same process and heard back a week later i passed and was now on a waiting list, that was over two months ago and i am still waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Cadet?

Got the email below just a few days ago. More or less the same place as they were 2/3 months ago. Quite disappointing, but at least it looks like panel will be open till 2010......My god, all this waiting for an INTERVIEW!

Dear Cadet?,

For the Dublin Region we have sent out Interview Preparation Questionnaires (IPQs) to candidates up to Order of Merit 204. Approximately the first 131 candidates have been interviewed. For the Limerick Region we have sent out IPQs to the first 40 candidates on the Order of Merit. Approximately 28 candidates have been interviewed. There are currently no vacancies for the Dublin Region for the Executive Officer (Open) competition and there is currently one vacancy for Limerick.

The lifetime of the Executive Officer Open Competition is normally two years which would be 2010. At this stage we would not be able to say if this panel will be extended.

Unfortunately I would not be able to give an estimate of when you would be called for interview. We call candidates for interview based on vacancies and we currently have a panel in place for both Dublin and Limerick so it is unlikely that interviews will be arranged for these regions in the near future.

Regards,

Very helpful PAS worker

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 yerwon

I had the interview two and a bit weeks ago and was told I was successful - rang them up and was told there are five people ahead of me for Dublin and no vacancies at the moment...

From the most recent comments it here it looks like five people ahead of me could well mean months and months of a wait! Disappointing, but I can live with it once I end up getting a position!

Would people think the panel might move more after Christmas?

yerwon wrote: »
    Would people think the panel might move more after Christmas?

To be honest- the 2009 pay element of department budgets are a hell of a lot tighter than the 2008 ones were (an additional 4% cut- with more planned in the supplementary budget). Vacancies will arise- but just don't expect it to happen immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭bobbygirl

To be honest Im not really in a hurry .Probably suits me better if I didnt get called for a while as Im studying at the moment and sounds like this job could be way more stressful than what Im doing now !!

I havent heard anything though about placement did you email them to find out where you were on it?
    Vanbis wrote: »
    Hi Bobbygirl, Well doing on passing and getting through, but i wouldnt get you're hopes to much. I went through the same process and heard back a week later i passed and was now on a waiting list, that was over two months ago and i am still waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I havent heard anything though about placement did you email them to find out where you were on it?

I have not sent a e-mail or phoned to see how long i could be waiting but i know its going to be a while with the current climate. Anyone know who i could ring to find out anymore information on my were i might be in a list etc. PM welcomed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Cadet? wrote: »
    Got the email below just a few days ago. More or less the same place as they were 2/3 months ago. Quite disappointing, but at least it looks like panel will be open till 2010......My god, all this waiting for an INTERVIEW!

Dear Cadet?,

For the Dublin Region we have sent out Interview Preparation Questionnaires (IPQs) to candidates up to Order of Merit 204. Approximately the first 131 candidates have been interviewed. For the Limerick Region we have sent out IPQs to the first 40 candidates on the Order of Merit. Approximately 28 candidates have been interviewed. There are currently no vacancies for the Dublin Region for the Executive Officer (Open) competition and there is currently one vacancy for Limerick.

The lifetime of the Executive Officer Open Competition is normally two years which would be 2010. At this stage we would not be able to say if this panel will be extended.

Unfortunately I would not be able to give an estimate of when you would be called for interview. We call candidates for interview based on vacancies and we currently have a panel in place for both Dublin and Limerick so it is unlikely that interviews will be arranged for these regions in the near future.

Regards,

Very helpful PAS worker

I had an interview the start of September, was placed 14 in Limerick and 20 in Cork - today I received a letter stating I have been successful and am being assigned to a position in Limerick - am delighted! :D

• Advertisement

cAr0l wrote: »
    I had an interview the start of September, was placed 14 in Limerick and 20 in Cork - today I received a letter stating I have been successful and am being assigned to a position in Limerick - am delighted! :D

Well done- best of good luck in your new position.

smccarrick wrote: »
    Well done- best of good luck in your new position.

Thank you! It couldn't come at a better time as I am being made redundant on 19th December. Such a relief having that lifted from my shoulders right now.

cAr0l wrote: »
    Thank you! It couldn't come at a better time as I am being made redundant on 19th December. Such a relief having that lifted from my shoulders right now.

Its good the way things worked out for you. I was in a similar position when I was offered my job 8 years ago- my previous post had been outsourced to India. I'm guessing you are going around with a big smile on your face!

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭bobbygirl

Another question :p

Did anyone who was successful in the interview get any feedback about how they did in the post or where they were placed??

Another question :p

Did anyone who was successful in the interview get any feedback about how they did in the post or where they were placed??

No, just got an email through on publicjobs saying:
    "I am pleased to inform you that you have reached the qualifying standard and have been placed on the order of merit.

You will come under consideration for appointment to the position of Executive Officer in the Civil Service when and if vacancies arise."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Well done - hope you enjoy working in a dole office :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jamella

I emailed last week to check the up to date position and was told I'm number six on the Cork panel, I was number nine so that's good however there are no current vacancies but fingers crossed none the less. I also asked about interview feedback and was told it would be posted out to me. I guess its just a waiting game now!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 dublin15

Hi,

Just have a quick question, I have been 1st on the Dublin Panel since the middle of November... (I no it seems strange that a single position hasn't come up in over 2 months!!). Im currently working as a clerical officer and last week PAS sent my final clearance to my personnel section. I was just wondering how long it usually takes for final clearance to be processed and could this mean they have a job in the pipeline?;)

dublin15 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just have a quick question, I have been 1st on the Dublin Panel since the middle of November... (I no it seems strange that a single position hasn't come up in over 2 months!!). Im currently working as a clerical officer and last week PAS sent my final clearance to my personnel section. I was just wondering how long it usually takes for final clearance to be processed and could this mean they have a job in the pipeline?;)

Its not strange to be honest- quite simply while there is no official embargo on recruitment- given that department's budgets for pay have been cut- there is no money there to recruit new staff, irrespective of needs.

Final clearance can take 1-2 weeks.

I would not make any assumptions- until such time as you get a letter of offer from the PAS.

Well done on getting first on the panel.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 yerwon

I'm a CO at the moment and am 6th on the panel - another CO in my office is 7th... we are not holding our breath at this stage. Social Welfare really is our only hope but I know they've already been looking for people from other departments, Justice at least.

Hope it comes through for you dublin15!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

There not looking for EO's in Social Welfare though, the 115 staff are CO's and So's

There not looking for EO's in Social Welfare though, the 115 staff are CO's and So's

Any of the higher ranking staff have been seconded from other government departments- but almost everywhere is operating on a shoestring- no-one who retired in almost 2 years has been replaced- while there may not be any recruitment as people may be used to- something is going to have to happen, because the basic operation of many sections and divisions are slowly coming asunder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Isa2009

Hi,

Just wondering how you all applied for the EO exams? Just through the publicjobs website alerts or what?

Ta!

Isa2009 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering how you all applied for the EO exams? Just through the publicjobs website alerts or what?

Ta!

The job alerts thingy isn't the most reliable- your best bet is to check the publicjobs.ie website periodically, to see if anything is coming up. To be perfectly honest- jobs are going to be few and far between in the current climate- but do keep an eye out nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Abstar

Hi guys - wondering if anyone can clear something up for me:

I see a lot of people are saying where they placed in different areas - Cork, Dublin, Limerick etc. Now this might be a very stupid question (!) but ... at what part of the process did you select the area - or was it selected based on where one lives? I did the EO exams back in May/June last year and got the email telling me I'd ranked just outside the top 200 for the EO in revenue and outside the top 400 for the general EO competition. While I'm pretty sure I'm unlikely to be called when I'm that far down the pecking order(!), I'm just curious that there was no area specified on my email. Am I missing something???!

Hi

After being told I was 1st on the Dublin panel in November and on several occasions since, I contacted PAS to see if there was any update. I was advised that I am now number 2 on the panel!

It seems that the person who placed ahead of me on the panel was offered a position, which was subsequently cancelled as a result of budget cuts.

I'm gutted :( (although probably not as gutted as the person whose position was cancelled!) I really thought that there was light at the end of the tunnel but now i'm not so sure.

What is the likelihood of the government recruiting anyone from this panel considering they are trying to save on public expenditure?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I'm sorry to hear that, its very bad luck.
    Its impossible to say but I would guess the top 2 on a such a wide ranging panel would still get a call this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Might have been mentioned already here but if you're on the EO (ict) panel then forget it:

The Revenue National Committee has told management it wants the Open EO Panel suspended in an effort to protect promotional opportunites in the context of the budget cuts announced by Revenue Chairman Josephine Feehily.

In response to the CPSU it was agreed it would be best to build in house expertise and reduce dependency on consultants but training costs could prove prohibitive. Intended to proceed to recruit some ICT staff from the PAS Open EO ICT Panel (Note: The CPSU has secured a commitment from Finance that this Panel will NOT be used pending conclusion of discussions on our call for the holding of a new InterD EO/JSA Competition and CO Programmer Competitions coupled with a commitment to ending the widespread use of ICT consultants)

www.cpsu.ie

Nolanger wrote: »
    Might have been mentioned already here but if you're on the EO (ict) panel then forget it:

Definitely forget it.
    Most of the recent EO ICT external appointments were people on the AO ICT panels who were contacted by the PAS and offered EO ICT instead...... There are 2 court cases ongoing at present as a result of this practice.

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows what impact this embargo will have on external panels such as this EO one.

If its a full embargo does that mean no recruitment whatsoever for the duration or can there be exceptions to this?

Also, would existing panels be put on hold for the duration of the embargo, continuing once it is lifted or do they simply close, leaving anyone on them to reapply again?

Sorry for all the questions, just I have no idea what to expect. Tried to contact the PAS to get some information but they advised that they havent had any official notification of the embargo and therefore have no idea how it will/may effect existing panels.:rolleyes:

Advertisement