Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service - EO exams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

Just sat my EO, I'd really like to thank the girl who coughed every 2 minutes without fail, congratulations for irritating everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Anybody know if there's negative marking?
    Wondering if I should fire down a load of random answers when there's one minute to go.

Anybody know if there's negative marking?
    Wondering if I should fire down a load of random answers when there's one minute to go.
    To answer myself (:o) Apparently there's no negative marking.
    Managed to get everything done in time anyway. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

I'm sitting mine next Saturday. Just out of interest, did they say when to expect results and when interviews are scheduled for? I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here, I know. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭kim_eire

I sat mine at the weekend, they said to expect results in the middle of May.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭AlexBM

Middle of May? That's not too bad. I'm sitting mine this Saturday. Anyone want to offer any last-minute style advice/tips, please do. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭death1234567

AlexBM wrote: »
    Middle of May? That's not too bad. I'm sitting mine this Saturday. Anyone want to offer any last-minute style advice/tips, please do. :)
    Its not hard so dont stress out about it. Just relax and answer as many questions as you can. I think lots of people go on for interview so Its not like you have to get the highest score out of everyone in the room.

Last minute style advice? Emmm... patterns will be big this summer with vintage floral, tribal and animal prints making a return to the high street. Sorry, I'm being stupid. :D

Well from my past experience of these types of exams, the sample questions given seemed to be at the easier end of the scale. There'll probably be a few simple ones at the start with the standard getting gradually harder. And as there's no negative marking, if you find yourself out of time with questions left to answer, there's no harm in putting down any answer. A few of them are bound to be right. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭AlexBM

Thanks gang. I think I was asking for trouble with putting the word style in there! I'm doing some practice tests at the moment, and they seem to be pretty doable. Fingers crossed, anyway.

Oh, while I think of it, there isn't any dress code or anything is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭fletch

How strict are they on the calculators? I have a calculator with memory (can only store numbers, not formulas) but it says no programmable calculator. Do they check them? Or just reset them before going in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

fletch wrote: »
    How strict are they on the calculators? I have a calculator with memory (can only store numbers, not formulas) but it says no programmable calculator. Do they check them? Or just reset them before going in?

Their not too strict on them, i always bring a spare to these things just in case. The main thing with the maths part is not to spend too much time on the hard qs, just move on if your stumped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

These tests are all pen and paper right?, so no need to wair a suit on the day, smart casual should be OK?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Supercell wrote: »
    These tests are all pen and paper right?, so no need to wair a suit on the day, smart casual should be OK?

Yes, just wear comfortable clothes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

fletch wrote: »

If it's just got standard memory functions like M+ and M- then it's not a programmable calculator.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Strawberry 04

Hi,

Does anyone know if its possible to get any other sample papers, apart from the ones already mentioned on publicjobs.ie? I have gone through the questions several times but could do with seeing some more sample numerical reasoning tests. Thought they were quite hard and could do with some more practice! Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭death1234567

The numerical reasoning tests in the sample paper are much harder than the actual ones in the test so if you have done the sample paper you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Strawberry 04

Good to hear! Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Did the exam last saturday. A lot easier than anticipated. We did a sample numerical reasoning test before the actual one which was a lot harder. It went ok for me, the job familiarisation bit was the easiest and I had that done in 10 mins which was a pain, because they dont allow you to leave.

Nightwish wrote: »
    Did the exam last saturday. A lot easier than anticipated. We did a sample numerical reasoning test before the actual one which was a lot harder. It went ok for me, the job familiarisation bit was the easiest and I had that done in 10 mins which was a pain, because they dont allow you to leave.
    :confused:
    How in blazes did you manage that? I found it to be the opposite - flew through the first 2 but spent a bit of time agonising over every response in the job simulation.
    I'd say there were only around 2 or 3 questions where I was fully satisfied that my answer was correct - for the rest there were at least two responses I could have given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Maybe its because I can relate to a lot of the situations as I work for the government anyway but not as a civil servant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Nightwish wrote: »
    Maybe its because I can relate to a lot of the situations as I work for the government anyway but not as a civil servant.

I thought you weren't supposed to use past experiences or knowledge when completing the job simulation section?
    I have worked in the civil service myself but it still took me nearly all the required time to complete this section.
    Like Burns Carpenter, I had to think carefully which response I chose, as there could have been 2 or 3 choices out of the 5 I would pick.

I'm sitting these on Friday, nervous as hell, hate tests though usually do ok on them.
    The situational stuff is interesting, are the answers aspirational or practical to score the points?

I'm just going to say what i'd do and not try to second guess it.
    Have been working in the private sector for a looong time so a bit concerned that my attitude to keeping my job scenario in the private sector might be different to the minister needs photocopies scenarios in the public.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Sean_mac

Hi guy's i'm doing the exam tomorrow, really worried about the numerical reasoning. Can anyone that has done the test give any advice i.e. should I try and do the easier questions first or is there any tricky questions that will take a long time to do...any advice is welcomed thanks.

Supercell wrote: »
    I'm sitting these on Friday, nervous as hell, hate tests though usually do ok on them.
    The situational stuff is interesting, are the answers aspirational or practical to score the points?

I'm just going to say what i'd do and not try to second guess it.
    Have been working in the private sector for a looong time so a bit concerned that my attitude to keeping my job scenario in the private sector might be different to the minister needs photocopies scenarios in the public.

I've worked in both the private and public sectors and the job simulation section was worrying me at first. I don't think there's any way you can practice really and the sample questions all seem to have 2 or 3 reasonable answers.

Like yourself I'm going to answer in terms of what I would do. If I tried to second guess it, I'd drive myself crazy.

So if you see anyone having a nervous breakdown screaming "What do you want from me??!!" in the RDS on Saturday morning, do say hello. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering what all you people think would be best response in the 2 sample job simulation exercises? I have my opinions on the correct options but just wondering what other people would say.

Scenario 1

You are working in a Government department on a busy project for which there are tight time deadlines. It is now Friday afternoon and you have an important task to complete by Monday afternoon. This involves preparing a report for the Minister about an important issue that the Minister needs to respond to.

A senior manager newly appointed to a different but related area in your department, asks you to photocopy a very large amount of material, to be ready first thing Monday morning.

You have no staff of your own and the staff who work with this senior manager have expressed their dissatisfaction with having to do additional work for you in the past.

Do you,

A. Approach the senior manager’s staff directly and ask them to carry out the photocopying work, indicating that it relates to their area of work.

B. Ask your own manager to return the photocopying work to the senior manager on your behalf, having explained the pressures that you are under.

C. Explain the pressures that you are under to the senior manager indicating that you cannot manage an extra task in the time frame.

D. Accept the work from the senior manager but do not do it, and explain to the senior manager later on that you were under too much pressure to do so.

E. Come in over the weekend and do the photocopying work yourself for the senior manager.

SCENARIO 2

You are working in a section in a Government department, which is preparing to move its record keeping system from a manually based system to a computerised system. All the staff in the section are involved in the planning and design of the new system and the task is producing a good team spirit within the section.

You have a number of ideas for the new system, which you have discussed informally with a colleague. A meeting is held to discuss the arrangements for computerisation of the section and you had planned on suggesting these ideas at the meeting.

At the meeting your colleague submits a written proposal which is heavily based on your ideas, without any acknowledgment of your contribution. The proposal is received enthusiastically by the group and it looks likely to be implemented.

Although you are pleased that what you had suggested to your colleague was well received at the meeting and is likely to be implemented, you resent the way your colleague went about it.

What do you do?

A. Decide to say nothing about your resentment towards your colleague to anybody in the group, as you do not wish to disrupt the team spirit.

B. Approach the colleague concerned pointing out that the written proposal that was submitted was based heavily on your ideas, and that your contribution should be acknowledged at the next team meeting.

C. Co-operate fully with the implementation of your ideas but raise the matter privately with your colleague explaining that you are unhappy with what happened, and asking that your contribution be acknowledged at the next team meeting.

D. Approach your manager and explain that your ideas were taken by your colleague who did not acknowledge your contribution at the meeting.

E. Co-operate fully with the implementation of your ideas but do not discuss your ideas informally with any of your colleagues in that group again.

Sean_mac wrote: »
    Hi guy's i'm doing the exam tomorrow, really worried about the numerical reasoning. Can anyone that has done the test give any advice i.e. should I try and do the easier questions first or is there any tricky questions that will take a long time to do...any advice is welcomed thanks.
    You won't really have time to evaluate each question's difficulty and decide whether you want to do it now or later. I'd say just do them in order.

I reckon I'd go for C in both of those options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

K_P wrote: »

Yeah I was thinking B and C.

I suppose it's not a simple right/wrong but obviously one answer is more right than the rest. It's not really something you can practise, just go with instinct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

K_P wrote: »

I'd choose the same.

• Advertisement

Real world i'd be a B, exam world I'd be a C.

Hard to know what is best to answer.

Advertisement