Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service - EO exams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Thanks! :D

But the only thing I remember picking my favourites for is test locations! There's one county I really want but I placed ahead in the other two counties, so I'm afraid of the whole 'get two offers of employment, don't get anymore' thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks! :D

But the only thing I remember picking my favourites for is test locations! There's one county I really want but I placed ahead in the other two counties, so I'm afraid of the whole 'get two offers of employment, don't get anymore' thing.

I know how you feel, I placed very nicely in two counties I wouldn't mind working in at all..but I didn't have them in my top two..agghhh!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Is each county doing their own set of interviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭musicinmouth

Is there somewhere that lists the departments by location? For instance, if you've applied for Cork or Galway, how do you know which departments are there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

I'm very late getting here. :) Got 41st in Meath which I've very happy with. I'd be reasonably confident of being called for interview although I'd prefer Dublin to be honest. Obviously I'll be a lot further down the list for Dublin but I'm hopeful. :o

Congrats to everyone here who's done so well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Is each county doing their own set of interviews?

No. The interviews are done by the Public Appointments Service. They can sort out where that puts you on the panel(s) for your location later.
    Is there somewhere that lists the departments by location? For instance, if you've applied for Cork or Galway, how do you know which departments are there?

I've never seen a total list of department locations.
    This has a list of decentralising departments, which will be where a lot of the recruitment should be happening.;) The dates on this are all a bit out though!

https://www.publicjobs.ie/downloads/September_07_Final_Report.xls

But aside from that, it's easy enough to work out who the big employers in any area would be. In Cork it's the CSO, Welfare Offices, and Revenue..then add in Agriculture/Marine in Clonakilty and Public Appointments which is moving to Youghal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

How are people getting the results? Via publicjobs "My Manager" or personal email?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭death1234567

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    How are people getting the results? Via publicjobs "My Manager" or personal email?
    You get a text message telling you to goto your Public jobs account and then you login and read your new messages. I got top ten in both counties I applied for so fingers crossed I'll get an interview. Oh I didn't apply for smelly stinky,congested Dublin in case ye are wonderin'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭fletch

Kildare results are up.

Yep, just got an email about Kildare too :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Wicklow up now..just the big one to go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭fletch

Dublin up now!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Just saw I had these to check.

Got 26 in Wicklow, 34 in Kildare and 174 in Dublin. Not too shabby considering I thought I wouldn't get ranked anywhere after the numerical reasoning!

Just outside top 100 in Dublin, congrats to anyone that got high ranks there!

So heres the final tally.

Assuming an average person scored roughly the same in all counties.

The most desireable places to work in the Civil Service in Ireland are :-

1) Dublin
    2) Cork
    3) Galway
    4) Louth
    5) Meath
    6) Wicklow, Limerick
    7) Kerry
    8) Kildare
    9) Westmeath
    10) Sligo
    11) Clare
    12) Waterford
    13) Wexford
    14) Cavan
    15) Offaly, Laois
    16) Donegal, Leitrim, Mayo
    17) Tipperary, Roscommon, Kilkenny
    18) Monaghan
    19) Carlow, Longford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

Got 236 in Dublin which I'm mighty happy about. Not quite as good as some people here but I reckon I'll get called at some stage. Woohoo! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 reggie71

Anybody get a placing for both Dublin and for Sligo ? Trying to work out where my ranking places me overall nationwide. Finished just outside top 20 for Sligo and outside top ten for leitrim. Not holding my breath in any case :)

ICT through as well, ranked in the 30's in that.
    Not sure if I qualify anyhow as only have certs such as mcps etc rather than computer specific primary degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Bill2

Also got my results yesterday/this morning, i put an x in all the midland counties (close to home) and my results were as follows

Carlow 9th
    Kilkenny 9th
    Laois 16th
    Offaly 16th
    Westmeath 20th
    Kildare 31st.

This is more or less in line with the tally of counties listed above.
    My question is, because i picked 6 counties instead of the 2 mentioned on the application form and got placed in all of them how do the Civil Service select which county to assign you to and based on the results above what is the likelyhood of being called for an interview sooner rather than later. (I've worked in the private sector for a lot of years so have no experience of how the CC works, so any guidance is greatly appreciated.. Ta)

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

Got the email about ICT as well - ranked just outside the top 100 but this appears to be nationwide, and other people may drop out of this as EO positions come up or they may not meet the criteria.
    The email read as folllows - any ideas if this means that I'm through to the interview round now ? On the EO email it indicated that I got through but would be called if they got that far down the list but I think that may have been standard..
    I don't even know where these positions will be based, so might be a non-runner anyhow - does anyone know if they may recruit nationwide for this or just particular counties?
    Dear Someone

I am pleased to inform you that you have been successful at the selection tests for the position of Executive Officer (ICT) in the Civil Service.

Your result is as follows:

Executive Officer - Information Communications Technology (ICT) : Place XXX

Information about the next stage of this campaign will issue shortly.

In line with best practice, this office provides candidates with a feedback report on each of the tests they have taken. This report will give an analysis of your results and will issue in the coming weeks.

Information on our review process may be found on our website: www.publicjobs.ie.

Yours sincerely
    EO & Graduate Recruitment Unit

• Advertisement

dubdub123 what do you reckon about the ICT qualification needs, specifically :-
    (iv) or (b) hold a current internationally recognised industry-certified engineering qualification related to ICT infrastructures, including operating systems, networks etc.

I've a few old Windows 2000 MCP's and newer Comptia Network +, Server +, Commvault Admin and shortly various EMC² ones, will these qualify me?

it's not very clear what's required but the qualifications that you have might meet the critera. If you get called, you should certainly go to the interview and provide all that info. Let them make the call - certainly don't eliminate yourself if there's any chance that you'd be eligible. who knows what person will be checking all the qualifications and making those determinations - if I was you I'd present any qualifications you have as meeting the criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Strawberry 04

congrats to everyone!
    I got just over 1100, dublin. Wonder is there any hope for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭inarut

congrats to everyone!
    I got just over 1100, dublin. Wonder is there any hope for me?

I was at 1700 in the last open EO comp for Dublin 2.5 years ago and was interviewed last week. Was one of the very last to be called from that panel which will expire in 3 weeks time. So there is hope there!

roughly how many people sit these things?? I suppose when the detailed results are supplied, can get some idea of how many for the counties selected... Does anyone have any how many positions are actually up for grabs either nationwide or (even better) per region/county?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭passinginterest

Delighted with my result. I went for Dublin only and ranked in the top 25. Best of luck to everybody in the interviews. Other people I know ranked in the low 1000s and 1200s.

dubdub123 wrote: »
    roughly how many people sit these things?? I suppose when the detailed results are supplied, can get some idea of how many for the counties selected... Does anyone have any how many positions are actually up for grabs either nationwide or (even better) per region/county?

The last time it was around 13,000 initial applicants. This time out, it is allegedly way up on that. I've heard close on 40,000! Basically if you get a job, well done!

Changing times, i suppose.

Only individual departments (and in some areas individual offices) know what their own recruitment requirements are. They pass them to the PAS who allocate people from the panels they create.

On a side note, the AO/Third Sec competition has been advertised again. Normally a panel lasts two years. Don't know if they are cutting it for all competitions or what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

Hey. managed to score in the low 20's in the ICT exam. Anyone know how many there are actually in this? Also got in the 70's in the Dublin Eo exam, didnt think I had actually applied for that, I just applied for the ICT one. Do they automatically put you in that as well?

wonderboy wrote: »
    Hey. managed to score in the low 20's in the ICT exam. Anyone know how many there are actually in this? Also got in the 70's in the Dublin Eo exam, didnt think I had actually applied for that, I just applied for the ICT one. Do they automatically put you in that as well?

Congrats on your scores, I don't remember applying for the ICT exam funny enough but apparently I did!

• Advertisement

http://www.ireland.com/focus/2008/benchmarking/index.pdf

Page 56 of the above says that in 2005...when i got the job:

There were 11,274 applicants of which 472 were offered a job. 392 accepted.

This time, i would expect there to be far more jobs, but then there are also far more applicants.

Advertisement