Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Goodbye, Alfa 156

Options
  • 24-03-2008 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I just blew the gearbox in my 156. From my description of what happened, the AA fella reckoned it was a bust differential and the gearbox needs replacement.

3 days before, I had a report from Alasta with a couple of things that need some attention but the car is otherwise fine. I need to sell it on because I can't face calling the AA to tow it again.

Any ideas what kind of range a '99 1.8 156 can go for in terms of scrappage, or should I just sign up to further heartbreak of keeping it on the road myself?

Any constructive advice on this one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

I have no idea what they would got for scrappage, but it would probaby be possible to get a 2nd hand gearbox and diff from a scrappers itself. However, the labour cost could push it over the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Saw this on adverts

Alfa Romeo 156 Spares

No engine available, not sure if that covers gearbox and diff-worth a look though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

A guy that works with me, recently replaced the gear box in his 1.8 156 €250 for second hand box and €250 to fit it. If he were to put in a new clutch it would have cost around 150 more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

But it up on eBay or Buy & Sell. Someone is bound to want one for parts (it is an Alfa after all! :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 tootsy

has it got a leather interior

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 magairli

no leather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Gearboxes on 156's are known to be dodgy. My wife had a 00 156 Selespeed which gave us no end of trouble. Took 6 months for several garages and eventually Alfa Italy to diagnose why it wouldn't go into second gear. Turned out to be a faulty cog in the gear box. As soon as it was fixed, we got rid. Service from Fiat/Alfa Ireland made the decision for us.

Wasn't due to it being a Selespeed as they use the same gearbox as the manuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Junkyard might take it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

@ksimpson, Selespeed are known to ge a disaster, and are nicknamed Sellafield as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

ksimpson wrote: »
    ... Turned out to be a faulty cog in the gear box. As soon as it was fixed, we got rid......... .

which begs the question: once you got if fixed, presumably at great expense..........why not use it?

I know I'm guilty of the same thing, but often, afterwards, wonder why I sold something AFTER I've cured it............?? someone else gets a great deal, and the knowledge it's 100%.........

funny things, that cars make us do...........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

galwaytt wrote: »
    which begs the question: once you got if fixed, presumably at great expense..........why not use it?

I know I'm guilty of the same thing, but often, afterwards, wonder why I sold something AFTER I've cured it............?? someone else gets a great deal, and the knowledge it's 100%.........

funny things, that cars make us do...........

It was repaired under warranty. It was the wife's car and she didn't trust it any more. Couldn't blame her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 tootsy

magairli wrote: »
    no leather.
    what type of interior has it.has it got the black seats with alfa wrote in red.

Advertisement