Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE is finished transmitting AM on the wireless.

• 24-03-2008 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I believe RTE Radio has ceased transmitting programmes on AM frequency from 3PM today. THe last time I tuned into AM was about 20 years ago when I was tuning into the pirates. I am surprised they havent made this move 20 years ago when Radio Dublin, ARD and Big D Radio ceased using it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It was important to have a signal that could reach NI and the UK. That would be the main reason they kept it going so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Bond-007 wrote: »
    It was important to have a signal that could reach NI and the UK. That would be the main reason they kept it going so long.
    Internet and sat transmittion took over on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Indeed they have. And now they see no need to use AM.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

I listen in to radio commentary at Ireland games. For competitive games, the coverage is on FM, but friendlies (like the recent Brazil game) were always on AM, will this still be the case?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭mike2084

I listen in to radio commentary at Ireland games. For competitive games, the coverage is on FM, but friendlies (like the recent Brazil game) were always on AM, will this still be the case?

As far as I know all the sports output is moving to Long Wave 252. Second Helpings has been axed (well, moved to RTÉ Choice, which probably amounts to the same thing:D)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Problem for RTE now though is, Many of the new Car stereos are not capable of receiving LW. I always found the MW service good on a friday night listening to the Eircom League coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

Can they put Ryan Tubridy on MW now??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So is that now an empty frequency (Kenneth?). Some enterprising individual will find a use for it no doubt.

Miek.

mike65 wrote: »
    So is that now an empty frequency (Kenneth?). Some enterprising individual will find a use for it no doubt.

Miek.
    Maybe hand it over to CB. (I.e. Children’s band) It would have better coverage and no skip :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

They've just stopped transmitting on one of the AM bands, that being MW (Medium Wave) - they are continuing to broadcast RTÉ Radio 1 on Long Wave (LW).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I believe RTE Radio has ceased transmitting programmes on AM frequency from 3PM today. THe last time I tuned into AM was about 20 years ago when I was tuning into the pirates. I am surprised they havent made this move 20 years ago when Radio Dublin, ARD and Big D Radio ceased using it.

Just for clarification: ARD and Big D Radio ceased transmissions during the early '80s - so it is closer to 30 years (rather than 20) for them. Radio Dublin held on to its 253 metres transmitter until some stage in the early '90s, believe it or not.

Incidentally, for the last couple of years there has been a Dublin pirate called Energy on MW. I understand it relayed the closedown yesterday on 1386 metres.

In relation to the closedown of RTE's Tullamore transmitter, it really is the end of an era. I dare say that there will be a lot of disgruntled over 55's around the country.

I dare say that there will be a lot of disgruntled over 55's around the country.
    Thats only 8 years away :eek:

Advertisement