Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2008 Regular Season Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 gilga

Thought B.J. Ryan looked rocky. And all this talk about him not pitching in back-to-back games doesn't inspire either.

As for Yankees homers, Sonnanstine pretty much stuck them out there for them, it'll help their confidence though. But from 7-2 allowing the (Devil) Rays come back to 7 -7, that won't help.

Will this be another year of the Yankees trying to out-bat the errors the pitchers make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

gilga wrote: »
    Thought B.J. Ryan looked rocky. And all this talk about him not pitching in back-to-back games doesn't inspire either.

As for Yankees homers, Sonnanstine pretty much stuck them out there for them, it'll help their confidence though. But from 7-2 allowing the (Devil) Rays come back to 7 -7, that won't help.

Will this be another year of the Yankees trying to out-bat the errors the pitchers make?

:eek: better believe it! Yankees staff is awful - unlike ours :D

Detroit Tigers looking more like the Tigers.... BUT..

Is it beacause CC Sabathia sucks ass ?!!!! 8H, 9ER, 5 WALKS and 1.. I repeat ONE Strikeout.... stinking the place up....

WTH is going on with this guy, time to sit him down... then kick him in the head so Cleveland can stick him on the DL !

mod9maple wrote: »
    :eek: better believe it! Yankees staff is awful - unlike ours :D

oh dear........

Ya jinxed yourself.

Yankees bat it again.... bullpen BoSox, damn....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Bit of a crazy game in Toronto...awful pity that Carlson's effort (came in with the bases loaded in extras and struck out the side) counted for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Bartolo Colon for 5th starter!

haha...one of last nights games is still on....top of the 22nd as I type...6 hours and counting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

zuutroy wrote: »
    haha...one of last nights games is still on....top of the 22nd as I type...6 hours and counting.

Which game is it? Oh wait, here it is. Rockies. Woo!

WYK

BJs cut Thomas

Where's the power coming from now guys?

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    BJs cut Thomas

Where's the power coming from now guys?

Are you the man runnin around in the terios emblazoned with red sox regalia?

WYK

• Advertisement

Wow!...really wasnt expecting that! More than meets the eye I'm sure...I hear the uniform department have ordered extra O,B,D,S and N's :D Rolen back next week, and Frank wasn't showing much power other than in the games vs Sox.

Burnett is so wild. Managed to walk 3 in the last inning and load the bases only to get out of it after about 30 pitches.

wyk wrote: »
    Are you the man runnin around in the terios emblazoned with red sox regalia?

WYK

Em, no. Drive something a bit classier (clue in sig)
    and Frank wasn't showing much power other than in the games vs Sox.

But top HR hitter last year, and one of top RBI men.

(I guess the Sox should cut Papi :D)

Rolen? First time in the AL for someone who looks like they're in decline.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Em, no. Admire while sitting idle due to electrical faultsomething a bit classier (clue in sig)

FYP :p

FYP :p

You obviously know as much about cars as you do about baseball ;).

Whoa-nice come from behind win for the Sox/meltdown for the Rangers.

To be fair, they had enough hits to win the game before the closer came in, but couldn't get it done against Millwood.

Papi coming round slowly but surely.

Manny getting tossed for arguing balls and strikes-he seems to care more this year than ever before!

Surely Lowrie will be in the lineup ahead of Lugo before the season ends?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Busy few days, missed tonnes. Time to catch up.

Although I don't think I watch too many of the yanks games :(

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Busy few days, missed tonnes. Time to catch up.

Well I still like Buchholz and Lester over Hughes and Kennedy and reckon that could be the key to the East.

But then, what do I know, I'm no Hank Steinbrenner (thank fook)

I tend to agree. On appearances Hughes and Kennedy will cost us big this year. I expected to lose about 10+ with moose but you cant lose that amount with 2 more starters and hope to compete.

Big pressure on andy and wang to carry them. I'm half expecting some possible trades.

Not sure im agree with Hank on Joba. He looked well ropey in spring as a starter but then again Hughes looked great :D

Btw just watched Manny -vs- Moose take 2. Wow he OWNS him.

Just watchin the yanks and white sox there and I think it was Nick Schwiser but he broke his bat by swinging lol. Was the weirdest thing ive ever seen and commentator said Jim Rice was the only other known to have done it.

Pretty mad, nearly the entire bat broke off during the swing lol :D

• Advertisement

Man this season just gets uglier every day. Royals 8 - Jays 4 :( Wells and Eckstein with errors, and another starter blows it in one inning. Good grief! 5 game losing streak now. Why oh why, would someone please tell me, is a "Gold Glove" SS (ok he didn't win it last year but he should have for his D!) sitting on the bench when he should be in for his defense in late innings, especially with a lead. It beggars belief. Am I panicing? No of course not, its still early. :) But....

OMG Reed Johnson...top 10 I've ever seen I think

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200804252587970

OMG Reed Johnson...top 10 I've ever seen I think

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200804252587970

I'd read about it but not seen it yet - nice! :) Doesn't seem much wrong with his back eh? :D

ffs girardi makes some odd decisions. He walks hafner and decides to pitch to martinez who was looking the more likely hitter. And why not go to mo or joba in the 9th at 3-3. Ross Ohlendorf!!

What is up with the D-Backs this year. Damn, they're angry. Are all the other teams jis losing their rotations or sumfin?

WYK

wyk wrote: »
    What is up with the D-Backs this year. Damn, they're angry. Are all the other teams jis losing their rotations or sumfin?

?????

Any Sox fans really worried about our bullpen?

So far, the AL East is certainly there for the taking, especially if our SPs continue their excellent form and some of last year's big bats heat up. But man does the RP corps scare me. Delcarmen doesn't look like he has the moxie-the stuff yes, but no dominance. His ERA of 7.30 is pretty bad, even if he has 12Ks in 12 innings, and 'only' 5 walks. Aardsma's ERA looks ok, he has as many hits and walks as Ks. Julian? Well I like his versatility, but he's very inconsistent. Lopez has proabaly been the most consistent, but I think he is pretty much a situational lefty as opposed to a bridge to Okajima/Papelbon. Timlin is either off to a very slow start or is finished altogether.

I actually think you's will be fine. Pains me to say it :D

Your rotation can eat innings and you's have the bats to mostly cover up mistakes by the relief corp. In oki and papelbon you have a pretty lock tight 8 and 9th for tight games.

I mean you's had a bad skid there a few games back barely hitting and getting sweeped by rays? and your still +3.5 games.

Definately looks as though yous have won with the battle of the young guns between buchholz-lester -vs- hughes-kennedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

Mad_Max wrote: »
    I actually think you's will be fine. Pains me to say it :D

Your rotation can eat innings and you's have the bats to mostly cover up mistakes by the relief corp. In oki and papelbon you have a pretty lock tight 8 and 9th for tight games.

I mean you's had a bad skid there a few games back barely hitting and getting sweeped by rays? and your still +3.5 games.

Definately looks as though yous have won with the battle of the young guns between buchholz-lester -vs- hughes-kennedy.

+1 to that... Think we will be fine out once we have oki and paps.. Dont think there is a team in baseball that wishes they didnt have stronger middle relief, its just not there.. Its so hard to find consistent pitchers to pitch middle relief as they get big contracts elsewhere if they have a big year and/or are likely to be in-consistent year on year as they are just not that good!! Think a mixture of Delcarmen, Hansen, Aardesma, Timlin, Lopez or Taveraz should be enough to bridge innings to oki and paps.. Its not like we are asking them to carry too much of a load.. And if the starting pitchers can continue in this strong inns eating form, all the better..

As with the Yanks, i can't understand the struggle of Hughes/Kennedy.. (Kennedy did pitch well in minors yesterday though).. Yankees need to sort alot out at the moment they look a bit battered up.. I'd be far more worried if i was in their corner tbh..

• Advertisement

Kinda32 wrote: »
    As with the Yanks, i can't understand the struggle of Hughes/Kennedy.. (Kennedy did pitch well in minors yesterday though).. Yankees need to sort alot out at the moment they look a bit battered up.. I'd be far more worried if i was in their corner tbh..

I am anyway :( Although I don't think theres much to pick from Joba-Mo and Oki-Pap. (Even after last night :p)

With hughes and kennedy, it appears hughes was picthing with a broken rib for maybe a game or two which might explain some things because he did not pitch badly at all in as many outings last year.

Kennedy on the other hand just genuinely seems to be struggling. Although i don't think the offense helped his cause at all. I think kennedy will be back inside this month but I reckon he will only get a few attempts.

His last start wasnt bad he went right at the strikezone and was getting strikes but some very bad defence let runners on and girardi panicked i think.

Advertisement