Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kayak and Camp routes

Options
  • 24-03-2008 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend kayak routes in Ireland which also allow camping?

Midlands or west specifically.

Looking for somewhere to go for 2-3 days + nights over the summer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I was looking to do the same this year and the river Inny looks like a good option, Ive been up and down it on a motor boat while fishing and its perfect,
    you could start in Ballinalack(just north of Mullingar) of Finnay, some nice sized loughs along the way and fairly untouched places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 cruelsetanta

Hi lads, there was a post in the other tread "Bushcraft" by Deep Forest. He was saying at the end, if anyone in canoeing or camping to give him a shout, I pm him earlier but I noticed that god banned him, not sure if it's for good!!!!!! but in that general area.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

I was looking to do the same this year and the river Inny looks like a good option, Ive been up and down it on a motor boat while fishing and its perfect,
    you could start in Ballinalack(just north of Mullingar) of Finnay, some nice sized loughs along the way and fairly untouched places.

Hi Bitemybaner, thanks for the response.

I've never been up that direction, I've just had a look on google maps and it looks good (from a height, to put it mildly).
    I've only tipped around Athlone, lower Lough Rea, shannon-bridge on fishing boats so never got very far up river, the upper shannon might be interesting too, I presume the river gets smaller as you go upstream else it's a bit of a beast really!

I'm in Galway now so that's my first choice of location, Mayo, Roscommon, Leitrim, Sligo, Clare, there must be lots of places.

Are there any campsites on river banks that anyone knows of?

Hi Bitemybaner, thanks for the response.

I've never been up that direction, I've just had a look on google maps and it looks good (from a height, to put it mildly).
    I've only tipped around Athlone, lower Lough Rea, shannon-bridge on fishing boats so never got very far up river, the upper shannon might be interesting too, I presume the river gets smaller as you go upstream else it's a bit of a beast really!

I'm in Galway now so that's my first choice of location, Mayo, Roscommon, Leitrim, Sligo, Clare, there must be lots of places.

Are there any campsites on river banks that anyone knows of?

I think the Shannon would be a bit daunting for my liking, very busy aswell in the season, I was thinking of the Suck too, Ive walked every inch of that river in search of pike and its not too dissimilar to the Inny, Camped in Ballyforan last year for 3 nights, was one of my mose memorable camping trips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

The Barrow would be a fantastic spot, or the Nore for that matter. The Blackwater in west Waterford is also good. Plenty of places along any of those to camp.

• Advertisement

I think the Shannon would be a bit daunting for my liking, very busy aswell in the season, I was thinking of the Suck too, Ive walked every inch of that river in search of pike and its not too dissimilar to the Inny, Camped in Ballyforan last year for 3 nights, was one of my mose memorable camping trips

The Suck, I know it well, I might have met you a couple of times looking for that same Pike, I usually fish round Mount Talbot, that's near Ballygar, upriver from Ballyforan, lovely spot.

Yes it would be a good Kayaking spot for sure, never saw a boat on her. Worth a look.

Roen wrote: »
    The Barrow would be a fantastic spot, or the Nore for that matter. The Blackwater in west Waterford is also good. Plenty of places along any of those to camp.

The sunny southeast, it's a bit far for me right now, nice part of the country for sure.

Google Earth suprisingly doesn't show much detail on the smaller river's I guess you have to know the spots yourself.

Are there any proper campsites on these rivers?

The Suck, I know it well, I might have met you a couple of times looking for that same Pike, I usually fish round Mount Talbot, that's near Ballygar, upriver from Ballyforan, lovely spot.

Yes it would be a good Kayaking spot for sure, never saw a boat on her. Worth a look.

All my usual haunts:D Lovley indeed

The sunny southeast, it's a bit far for me right now, nice part of the country for sure.

Google Earth surprisingly doesn't show much detail on the smaller river's I guess you have to know the spots yourself.

Are there any proper campsites on these rivers?

I was more thinking of camping beside the river itself than in a campsite nearby. There's plenty of wooded areas along any of those rivers that would be ideal for sleeping out in.

Sure yes plenty of spots on banks alright, nice to have use of toilets and showers though, especially if your out for more than a couple of days.

There must also be some smaller rivers suited to kayaking which have villages and towns along the way, are there?

• Advertisement

Well any of the ones I mentioned have plenty of villages/small towns along them. I can't verify if they have campsites though.

Sure yes plenty of spots on banks alright, nice to have use of toilets and showers though, especially if your out for more than a couple of days.

There must also be some smaller rivers suited to kayaking which have villages and towns along the way, are there?

aaagh, this takes all the fun and sence of the outdoors out of it:(
    I hear the Liffey runs through a big town;)

Sure does.
    Yes it's not a requirement but I'm no hero and there also the other half that has to be catered for.
    Thanks for the help folks you've opened my eyes to potential kayaking locations.

Sure does.
    Yes it's not a requirement but I'm no hero and there also the other half that has to be catered for.
    Thanks for the help folks you've opened my eyes to potential kayaking locations.

Oh i see, she who must be obeyed and wont pee in a bush:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Old thread, but it fits my situation.
    Looking for some tips on place to rent canoe, camp etc on the Barrow. Preferably the slow moving part of the river. Anyone got any spots they know of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

There's a few recent developments on the Barrow including this phone app http://ingeniousireland.ie/podcast-audio-tours/barrowriver/
    also new website http://barrowriver.ie/, which may possibly help. Also new facilities, toilets & showers etc. opened at Clashganny this summer.

I'm not aware of any formal campsites along Barrow offhand but there's a towpath adjacent and people often camp on this overnight.

http://www.gowiththeflow.ie/ may do hire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Cheers for the tips Barry, will take a look

Advertisement