Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teashark browser - new beta version!!!

• 24-03-2008 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

Tried their 1st version last year, and though it showed signs of greatness, the early version was so buggy I forgot all about it!
    This new version might actually give opera mini a bit of a fight! Very promissing!
    It's free - only 150kb and should work on most java capable phones...no probs so far on my n95/8. Datawise it loads a bit more than om but a lot less than nokia's built in browser!
    Try it:
    www.teashark.com

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

An update if I may?
    Played some more with it on nokia n95/8 and e61!
    It's really worth the try - and with enough feedback teashark may become a good finished product!
    Tabbed browsing in combination with thumbnailed history works really well, and the interface is quite polished!
    Download function is as in om: you click a download link and the phone's built-in browser takes over... Unforunately, you can not (yet?) click on any image and download it as in om...
    Webpages load quite speedily - almost as fast as on om, and in fact some of my regular sites work better on teashark (forum posting, email checking both work well - gmail and yahoo mail)...
    Main prob so far: text rendering can be iffy on sites with many seperate textblocks i.e. Newsites like bbc, cnn,... This forum and others I tried are ok though, and I went from teashark straight to their google group and posted away, again well rendered and without cookie issues!
    Btw, I use it on vodafone rtg via isp - it works with live!, but I have had probs with live! The last couple of days...not just with teashark... So, I can't say more!
    I'll try it on my tytn next...
    oh, and I am not affiliated to/with teashark, but I use mobile internet a LOOOOOT!!! And opera mini 4 has been a problem app for me at times, so I think there's room for competition, and from what I see teashark beats some other mobile browsers (ucweb and jb5 or whatever they are called) already, and it's just a beta, remember!
    Try it! (oh, just one thing: it doesn't yet have a fit-to-screen/mobile-view option as in opera mini etc...so, honestly: in my opinion you needn't yet bother with anything below 240x320 screen size - say k800i and upwards! Though I'd like to see what it's like on 176x220 ....)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Need to try some more pages on it myself yet, but it does look pretty good so far. Although I had got used to the way that OM formatted the pages like BBC News and actually found that very good, using the regular full page layout seems slightly wrong now with having to scroll in two directions again, at least you don't have to wait for things to be resized via Norway though which sometimes seemed to time out.

Couldn't figure out how to open tabs yet though, but if it does that well enough without crashing then I might switch for most things.

Re. Tabs check help or the feature list on their site!
    Press "#" for shortcut list! Pick history to see a line of thumbnails of previous pages - you can scroll lefty right and click on a page you want to open again (opens instantly!!!); when you move the stick up down you get to history for the other tabs!
    Oh, to open a link in a new tab, just highlight the link, press "menu" and choose "open new tab"...it's quite good and simple after a while!
    As to the layout of bbc etc: agree, wouldn't mind a "fit to screen" type setting (was actually in the old alpha version, and I hope it'll come back in the finished product - it's a bit of a standard in mobile browser...)
    what phone are you using btw?

Sorry, correction:

To open a link in a new tab, highlight the link, press '1' and click 'new tab'!
    Nice feature is the inline editor - that is, you enter text right on the page like in a real browser - so when you hold your phone in landscape mode, you don't have to rotate it everytime you enter text (but if you want, you can use phone editor mode, so for text entry the phone's text entry window opens - like in opera mini)
    like it more and more! No crashes so far, either...
    Only miss "fit to screen" - but on familiar sites the desktop/zoom view is ok!

Update:
    Blackberries not yet supported - so dont waste your time!
    Any other 'white screens' after install? That seems to be the sign for unsupported phones!

• Advertisement

Right: 5 days later - more and more impressed!
    Despite superficial similarities to opera mini, one has to experiment a bit! I discovered, eg, that you can copy and paste quite nicely! In fact, you can highlight any section of text on a page and edit it in the phone's editor and/or copy it to your clipboard!
    I also believe they've fiddled with their server - text rendering is improved again!

The built in RSS reader beats opera's by miles!
    Havent encountered any cookie probs btw!
    And: many pages load much faster than with om!!!
    (the one in my sig, eg, can be painful at times, even on pc! But teashark has so far loaded it without probs, and faster than opera mini/mobile, pocket IE, safari etc! Regardless of connection type!).
    So, if your phone's supported, try it! Give it a while - it's a great browser!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pharmazist

class A info, strecker!
    what a brilliant little browser! I pity the people whose phones aren't yet supported:p hope they add more phones to their list soon... ;)

it totally beats opera mini or any other browser I have tried on a phone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I used the browser today as Opera Mobile is unstable and freezing on my e51. I like it. I want more options though! I want to feel like I have some control over it lol.

It renders boards faster than opera does.

Advertisement