Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Joggers on the road.

Options
  • 24-03-2008 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Why do Joggers have to run along the public road when there is a footpath and often a cycle lane for them to jog on. I nearly creamed one of these guys jogging through traffic at night on the merrion road.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Why do Joggers have to run along the public road when there is a footpath and often a cycle lane for them to jog on. I nearly creamed one of these guys jogging through traffic at night on the merrion road.

I totally understand.

Was coming on the stretch of the Maynooth Road from Liexlip to Maynooth at 3am. Was first in the line of traffic (3 cars) so had full beams on on the dark road. A car came at me in the distance and i dipped the lights, the car past me and i put on full beams and there was two people running in the middle of my side (not sure if they were drunk!!). I swerved to avoid and was bit freaked so wasa going to call the cops. Anyways there was a check point two hundred metres down the raod and told them and a car floored it down to them. Still got breath tested, then went home for a strong drink.

Some people do not think they need to observe the rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fletch...

Hate them and cyclists who believe they can swreve out infront of traffic at anytime. had just pulled outa my garden on my motorbike (yes I know, I drive a car too but joggers cant make cars fall over) and was just sitting there waiting for traffic to pass so I could get onto the road, was sitting there a good minute when BAM! a fookn jogger ran straight into me, Knocked me over! caused a bit of damage and I was stuck underneath it, the jogger took off, probly running for his life at this stage before the now very angry biker got up....never did catch up with d guy, he could of atleast help me lift d bike up before I fed him his stoopid jogging pomps.

joggers in the park when im walking my dog is a rant for another forum lol!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Had to overtake one today through the Sally Gap! Don't want to imagine the state of his leg muscles after that 'jog'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

fletch... wrote: »
    Hate them and cyclists who believe they can swreve out infront of traffic at anytime. had just pulled outa my garden on my motorbike !!!
    It was a motorbike I was riding myself when I nearly hit these guys. There is no law requiring them to wear florescent clothing or personal lighting devices at night so they shouldn't be allowed near a public road and if they need cross the road they should use a pedistrian crossing like every one else.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Don't like peds who don't have some cop on. I wear black, and so when I'm walking along the road (small part of the Accomdation Road in Leixlip has no footpaths on either side), I keep an eye out for cars, or anything coming my way, and also stick to the side. Nearly ran over some f**ker walking along the middle of the road, in dark clothes, not a care in the world:mad: Luckily I was only cycling (lights on front and back), so was able to avoid him, but jeebus hell man. As for cyclists pulling out in front of cars: I've seen motorbikes do it more often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I met one of these morons recently joggng southbound on the northbound carriageway of the M1 at the Broadmeadow Estuary.

.....and then there are those muppets who insist on jogging on busy city centre footpaths. It as if they are saying "look at me, I'm jogging, I'm so cool". Why don't they jog off to the Phoenix Park?
    fletch wrote:
    joggers in the park when im walking my dog
    Well if there's one thing more irritating that joggers, it's.......... :)

I met one of these morons recently joggng southbound on the northbound carriageway of the M1 at the Broadmeadow Estuary.

.....and then there are those muppets who insist on jogging on busy city centre footpaths. It as if they are saying "look at me, I'm jogging, I'm so cool". Why don't they jog off to the Phoenix Park?

:D was writing a big rant about joggers but then decided it was too off topic and unesessary, so. Parks/ paths are for people, roads are for traffic.
    and i wish the bloody joggers would stop being attracted to my bullbars, obviously they dont have insurance and if there was an accident im sure it would be the motorists "fault". If they want to use the same roads as cars ect.. then they should prove that they understand the road rules

and get out of my way!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Remember, which one of a jogger and a motorist must have a licence to be on the road? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭ergo

because running on the asphalt surface of the road is less damaging long term to knees etc (in terms of shock absorption) than running on the concrete of the pavement

I'm a runner, I run on the path myself but am not putting in serious miles, if I was and it was damaging my knees etc I'd have to look at running on the road but can't see myself ever enjoying that and the dangers that go with it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ergo wrote: »
    because running on the asphalt surface of the road is less damaging long term to knees etc
    I'd say getting hit by a moving vehicle would be more damaging that running on concrete!

• Advertisement

Id prefare running on concrete myself, inpact by car can do alot more damage to the knees then running on softer asphalt.

because running on the asphalt surface of the road is less damaging long term to knees etc (in terms of shock absorption) than running on the concrete of the pavement

I'm a runner, I run on the path myself but am not putting in serious miles, if I was and it was damaging my knees etc I'd have to look at running on the road but can't see myself ever enjoying that and the dangers that go with it
    Can you not spend a few extra bob and get your self a decent pair of runners. :confused:

That’s also implying that skateboarders should use shopping malls because the surface is smoother and more suitable and that they are less likely to fall off and hurt themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Well if you paid road tax like the rest of us on the road then fair play - otherwise fair game;)

edit: not ranting at you ergo, directed towards joggers (and cyclists) on the road in gereral:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

I'm with you on this one. the law requires pedestrians (and joggers) to use the footpath. It's also illegal for them to run on a cycle lane or cycle path.

Can you not spend a few extra bob and get your self a decent pair of runners. :confused:

That’s also implying that skateboarders should use shopping malls because the surface is smoother and more suitable and that they are less likely to fall off and hurt themselves.

No matter how good your runners are if you're putting in a lot of mileage eg. 50 miles a week that's a lot of impact for the knees, hips etc

I don't think it's implying that about skateboarding
    stevec wrote: »
    Well if you paid road tax like the rest of us on the road then fair play - otherwise fair game;)

edit: not ranting at you ergo, directed towards joggers (and cyclists) on the road in gereral:)

I do pay road tax and have to drive to work every day, though I used to cycle everywhere, wrecked my head a bit with the runners in the cycle lane but they never caused me too much hassle. But, they shouldn't be there imo.

Anyway, I was just answering the OP's question as to why....etc! am not defending them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭blackbox

I suppose in the country they have a right to run on the road where there is no footpath.

However if it's exercise they want, they would get a lot more by running through a soft field with the added benefit of less impact damage from the road (and vehicles).

Pedestrians/joggers on roads without hi-vis = stupid and inconsiderate to other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Joggers have some attitude. Has anyone seen the ones at the Pheonix park motor races that climb over the barrier and jog on to the track because "We jog here every Sunday, I'm not going to let this stop me" The races usually have to be cancelled then.

I live in Raheny in Dublin close to the test centre. There is a huge amount of people learning to drive and doing their tests, yet the joggers avoid the wide footpaths to display their running prowess on the road, sometimes three abreast ignoring the eight cars creeping behind them.

There is a 170 acre park in the area and ONLY WHEN THE WEATHER IS NICE the joggers will give up their road endeavors and head in to the park and sprint up and down the main avenue in silly tight pants where they can find the most people, dogs, kids, cyclists and general obstructions. They will then roar in shocked outrage when someone gets in their way. They will veer of the avenue towards anyone with a dog and jump in shock when the dog looks at them

Bear in mind there is acres and acres of empty playing fields, but then again, who would see them?

No matter how good your runners are if you're putting in a lot of mileage eg. 50 miles a week that's a lot of impact for the knees, hips etc I don't think it's implying that about skateboarding
    Surely you cannot find some track in the pheonix park / killiney hill or similar stretch of tarmac path that you could jog around when it is not being used. If you do use a public road would you wear a florecent top during the day and a flashing led light at night?
    Anyway, I was just answering the OP's question as to why....etc! am not defending them!
    Scateboarders in a shopping mall are no different a danger to the public than any jogger running along a public road. For starters they put lives at risk ie motorcyclists and cyclists and also could have lifetime implications on any motorist that accidently kills one who is foolish enough to be on a public road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Your attitude to joggers seems exactly like what I'd expect someone who is overweight and lazy to be.
    Don't hate us, get out there and lose the weight, everyone will help you along the way.

Just put the pastry down, one step at a time.

Your attitude to joggers seems exactly like what I'd expect someone who is overweight and lazy to be..... get out there and lose the weight, everyone will help you along the way....Just put the pastry down, one step at a time.

There you go! Point proven, terrible attitude, personal insults included! You don't know what anyone looks like on this site rovers-runner, and jogging isn't the only way to loose weight.

• Advertisement

lightening wrote: »
    There you go! Point proven, terrible attitude, personal insults included! You don't know what anyone looks like on this site rovers-runner, and jogging isn't the only way to loose weight.

Was tongue in cheek lightning, but seriously though drivers are completely ignorant to runner/pedestrians in general (I do drive around Dublin too).

They frequently are in the process of trying to break a red light when i politely remind them of it.
    Don't get me started on pedestrian crossing at the entrance to dundrums outdoor car park.

Your attitude to joggers seems exactly like what I'd expect someone who is overweight and lazy to be.
    Don't hate us, get out there and lose the weight, everyone will help you along the way.

Just put the pastry down, one step at a time.

you're a fool buddy

So the jogger on the motorway is fine. Not to mention he is a danger to all the motorists on the motorway and themselves.

The roads are for motorists and cyclists. If you can keep up with my car doing 60kmph down the road then keep at it. Otherwise i will run you over :D only messin, well not really :D

Sorry guard couldnt see him no lights or high vis jacket.

Don't get me started on pedestrian crossing at the entrance to dundrums outdoor car park.

The thread is about moron joggers who jog on the road.

chris85 wrote: »
    you're a fool buddy

So the jogger on the motorway is fine. Not to mention he is a danger to all the motorists on the motorway and themselves.

The roads are for motorists and cyclists. If you can keep up with my car doing 60kmph down the road then keep at it. Otherwise i will run you over :D only messin, well not really :D

Sorry guard couldnt see him no lights or high vis jacket.

I was addressing the point on the joggers using the footpaths in the city centre.
    It's not a joggers fault if he/she causes some fat man/woman embarrasment at having to move 6 inches to the side to accomodate them.......

I was addressing the point on the joggers using the footpaths in the city centre.
    It's not a joggers fault if he/she causes some fat man/woman embarrasment at having to move 6 inches to the side to accomodate them.......

what about the cyclists? where do they fit in? cycling works more of the muscles in the body so they must be allowed plough into you or something going by your arrogant approach that all people driving are unhealthy???

Surely you cannot find some track in the pheonix park / killiney hill or similar stretch of tarmac path that you could jog around when it is not being used.

If you do use a public road would you wear a florecent top during the day and a flashing led light at night?

Scateboarders in a shopping mall are no different a danger to the public than any jogger running along a public road. For starters they put lives at risk ie motorcyclists and cyclists and also could have lifetime implications on any motorist that accidently kills one who is foolish enough to be on a public road.

when I lived on the northside I ran in the Phoenix park, there is a grass track along the footpath there but I'd say it's too wet/mucky to use about 6 months of the year. And in the Park you're still getting black lung from all the cars as the only lit section is (inevitably) by the road

but now the Phoenix park is too far from me, as is Killiney hill, I leave my house and run on the path, there is about a 50metre section of my 10k run that is "busy" with pedestrians. I don't think runners belong in the city centre but if you live in there you have to start somewhere. And for 6 months of the year in this country there are no lit parks etc available so running on the path is often the only way

I have never ran on the road (except down the country where there is no path), as I was saying, was answering the original question.(..why?)

and skateboarders, well I don't see why they are being dragged into this thread?!?

and skateboarders, well I don't see why they are being dragged into this thread?!?
    Both scateboarders and Joggers have something in common ie both are a menace and a danger to society when they are in the wrong places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Never saw the point in jogging myself, but each to their own. It's a bit presumptious to think that anyone who doesn't is by default overweight and/or unhealthy.

My biggest problem with joggers and pedestrians in general on roads, be they urban or rural is that a lot of the time they use the wrong side of the road. The rule (run/walk against the flow of traffic) is there for their benefit not for the motorist, so why are so many ignorant of the fact? Also as has been raised already, lack of lighting/hi-vis during dark periods.
    As an aside I passed a guy this morning out walking his 2 dogs; both he and the dogs were wearing hi-vis vests and it wasn't even dark...and they were on the footpath.
    As a long time cyclist turned motorist, I have a lot more sympathy for cyclists than most motorists would seemingly have ever had for me...motorists don't seem to appreciate issues like wind, puddles/potholes, broken glass and for the most part outside Dublin a lack of cycle lanes...and since many roads are barely fit to cope with 2 car widths, trying to squeeze a bike down the inside of a line of passing cars is a hairy experience...nevermind the hazard of ignorant door openers or people who don't check their O/S wing mirror before turning left...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Both scateboarders and Joggers have something in common ie both are a menace and a danger to society when they are in the wrong places.

Rarely see skateboarders on roads though, do you? Joggers and cyclists when theres perfectly workable paths/cyclepaths you do, though.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Joggers and cyclists when theres perfectly workable paths/cyclepaths you do, though.

You said it. The more logo's plastered over their clothes and the tighter and more garish the clothes, the more likely they are to ignore the path or cycle lane. I worked as a cycle courier. This is making a living on two wheels, I used cycle paths whenever I could.

Advertisement