Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Joggers on the road.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

lightening wrote: »
    You said it. The more logo's plastered over their clothes and the tighter and more garish the clothes, the more likely they are to ignore the path or cycle lane. I worked as a cycle courier. This is making a living on two wheels, I used cycle paths whenever I could.

Rather be running through town on my two feet improving my health than sitting in traffic for an hour in a 3l 4x4 with nothing in it except a baby seat.........:p

Impossible is nothing, just do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Rather be running through town on my two feet improving my health than sitting in traffic for an hour in a 3l 4x4 with nothing in it except a baby seat.........:p

How does that post have anything to do with the post you quoted? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Your a marketers dream ;)

Nobody is comdeming joggers you see. Do as you please, run through town on your own two feet muttering American multi-corporate advertising mantras in your head all day. Think what you will about the choice of car people have, sneer at them and congratulate how clever you are.

Just don't jog on the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Here goes the usual 4x4 comment. Expectin you to say it sooner or later. The law is that pedestrians should not be on the road. Obvious reasons.

chris85 wrote: »
    Here goes the usual 4x4 comment. Expectin you to say it sooner or later. The law is that pedestrians should not be on the road. Obvious reasons.

I never said I run on the road, the fatties on the path are my biggest issue.
    I originally replied to a post by Wishbone Ash that was critical of joggers on footpaths in town calling them muppets.

• Advertisement

Well this thread is not about your problem with peoples disabilities. Stop insulting people and being a pain in the ass... please, just do it. :D

I originally replied to a post by Wishbone Ash that was critical of joggers on footpaths in town calling them muppets.

Ah come on, thats just a tad bit bad towards the salad dodgers.

Well this thread is not about your problem with peoples disabilities. Stop insulting people and being a pain in the ass... please, just do it. :D

I know, it should be a crusade to get Wishbone Ash off the pastries and out jogging the footpaths of St. Stephens Green :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

So, by your definition everyone that doesn't jog is instantly a fattie? Lovely.

I prefer to do my exercise somewhere that doesn't involve breathing in car fumes, as I'm asthmatic. I do, however, use footpaths from time to time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

I think faster moving traffic should watch out for more vulnerable users. So if I'm driving I watch out for bikes and pedestrians (agreed that they can help by illuminating themselves); if on a bike I look out for pedestrians and if I'm jogging or walking I try and avoid kicking dogs or prams or wheelchair users just because I can and because they might delay me by a few seconds.

By the way, plenty of joggers own cars and thus do pay road tax, as do many cyclists. By some people's rationale here that would mean any car-owning cyclist is entitled to jog along in the middle of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Don't get me started on pedestrian crossing at the entrance to dundrums outdoor car park.

Don't get me started on this one. It's a zebra crossing. Pedestrians have right of way and few drivers seem to understand this.

Also, on a motors forum you'd think the posters would know that they pay motor tax and there is no such thing as road tax.

Verb wrote: »
    It's a zebra crossing. Pedestrians have right of way and few drivers seem to understand this.

Which one is this Verb? There is one near me and the drivers usually stop to let people cross. Is there a particular one you are talking about?

Which one is this Verb? There is one near me and the drivers usually stop to let people cross. Is there a particular one you are talking about?

The one pointed out earlier, at the Tesco entrance of the dundrum shopping center. Cars come flying off the roundabout and it's a tad scary trying to cross. Particularly when you don't know if the drivers understand that peds have the right of way.

Particularly when you don't know if the drivers understand that peds have the right of way.

Right, not really familiar with it. No excuse for it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Living in Holland, the cyclists here are a total disaster, they have right of way no matter what (or at least think they do)

Theres an optional extra on your insurance policy for cyclists (as in running them down accidently)

Pedestrians are at the bottom of the heap, running on a road will get you a fine. Cylcing your bicycle without correctly lighting equipment will get you a fine. Cycling while under the influence may cause you to lose your driving license.

Not as strict as germany, however i wouldn't risk crossing the road on a red man while theres a cop hanging around

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

Don't get me started on this one. It's a zebra crossing. Pedestrians have right of way and few drivers seem to understand this.

pedestrians have to be on the crossing to gain right of way over other road users

just thought I'd point that out..

craichoe wrote: »
    Living in Holland, the cyclists here are a total disaster, they have right of way no matter what (or at least think they do)

Why do you say it's a disaster ?

craichoe wrote: »
    running on a road will get you a fine.

Brilliant idea. Jogging on the road, lethal, there are drunk drivers, learners, robbed cars, people off their faces driving around and you get spacers out running on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Brilliant idea. Jogging on the road, lethal, there are drunk drivers, learners, robbed cars, people off their faces driving around and you get spacers out running on the road.
    All the more reason to have Joggers off the public road........for their own safety :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Studoc

Bit risky running on the road alright. But as a cyclist (and occasional motorist) it bugs me a hell of a lot less than cars in the city centre/parked on bike lanes/cutting me up.

• Advertisement

Studoc wrote: »
    Bit risky running on the road alright. But as a cyclist (and occasional motorist) it bugs me a hell of a lot less than cars in the city centre/parked on bike lanes/cutting me up.

understand that one too. Cycled for many years as sport and lesiure and i am glad this has made me very aware of the plight of the cyclists on the road. Few people check their spots or mirrors for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I noticed in the last few years that many people walking on main roads or bypasses are not joggers but foreign nationals, particularly east europeans. They walk for miles and miles to work. There are no footpaths leading to industrial estates and they must find it a nightmare walking on the narrowist of irish roads that the Irish would find unthinkable to even walk on in the first place and footpaths only appear on rural main roads leading into and out of large towns and villages, after this miles and miles of road with a few potholes...
    Ive also noticed that there are footpaths on bridges on bypasses. Many of these roads on their approach have signs reading ''no hitchhiking or walking'' and yet kerbing and footpaths are used solely for ''decoration'' or emphasizing the clean lines of a river/road or rail bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

fletch... wrote: »
    ...was sitting there a good minute when BAM! a fookn jogger ran straight into me,
    Sounds like he did it on purpose. Were you obstructing the footway or part of the roadway at the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

what gets me is cyclists cycling beside each other instead of single file causing me to overtake them on the other side of the road!
    its usually not commuter cyclists but cyclists on racers at weekends
    on another note i nearly hit an idiot who was cycling on the m50 yesterday between the red cow and ballymount

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

landydef wrote: »
    what gets me is cyclists cycling beside each other instead of single file causing me to overtake them on the other side of the road!
    its usually not commuter cyclists but cyclists on racers at weekends
    on another note i nearly hit an idiot who was cycling on the m50 yesterday between the red cow and ballymount

this again?
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055245647
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055215072

it's not a cyclist's job to get out of your way, it's your job to overtake safely. assertive cyclists, while less popular, live longer.

i wouldnt have to cross the broken white line putting others and my life at risk if they would just cycle in single file instead of having to have a chat about what happened on eastenders last night

i wouldnt have to cross the broken white line putting others and my life at risk if they would just cycle in single file instead of having to have a chat about what happened on eastenders last night

you could always wait until it's safe to overtake, no?

obviously i would but even overtaking when you think its "safe" has to be more dangerous then not having to overtake at all!
    its small things like this that save lives on our roads, the fact that this is at least the third time this has come up on this forum tells me that this is a regular occurance

obviously i would but even overtaking when you think its "safe" has to be more dangerous then not having to overtake at all!
    its small things like this that save lives on our roads, the fact that this is at least the third time this has come up on this forum tells me that this is a regular occurance

look, if you're the one breaking the solid white line, you're the one behaving dangerously. "but the cyclists made me do it". nope.

yes, you're right, drivers with a 'get out of my way i have a CAR' attitude are a regular occurrence.

• Advertisement

This is were cyclists annoy me. And cyclists do not get on my back because I have done all that road cycling and mountain biking and know how to act on the road.

Cyclists should cycle in single file if there is cars coming and it is safe to do so. I do not expect a group of a hundred cyclists to go single file as that woul have its own dangers but when theres a few cylists in a group have some courtesy for motorists.

Motorists and cyclists debate has been done to death.

Advertisement