Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Joggers on the road.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

The ROTR is not a legal document. Three-abreast is legal when overtaking other cyclists. Single file is required when overtaking other traffic.

so if the ROTR is not a legal document we can drive any which way we want? Where does it say that it is legal to ride 3 abreast?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

Timmaay wrote: »
    Wow, thanks, I must have twice the fitness of Ironman contenders so, I had a hill race 2wks ago with a 46% incline in it (obviously not a road!).

did you set a 6 minute mile on the 46% incline?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'd run a 4min mile on a 46% deciline, (if i didnt break my neck!), Uphill I be well down to 10mins or so (but i'd barely survive a mile at that).
    Anyhow, what does that have to do with anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Verb wrote: »
    Why do you say it's a disaster ?

Because they overtake and undertake, pay no attention to the traffic lights and ding their little bell rather than stop in the hope you'll move out of the way.

lightening wrote: »
    Brilliant idea. Jogging on the road, lethal, there are drunk drivers, learners, robbed cars, people off their faces driving around and you get spacers out running on the road.

Can't tell if this is supposed to be sarcastic, but:

Public transport here is excellent, theres no need to even dream of driving home drunk when even if your 100kms away from home theres a train every hour after 12.

Learners cant drive on their own and can only go out in an instructers car with dual controls.

Car theft happens everywhere, but here they just bang a reg into the computer in the squad car and can instantly see if its stolen.

People off their faces, again, excellent public transport, so if you do want to get off your head on some substance you can still tram or train it home.

People running on the road i.e. Jaywalking is not allowed as the road is for road traffic not pedestrians and will get you a fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

craichoe wrote: »
    Can't tell if this is supposed to be sarcastic, but:

Sorry Craichoe, didn't really explain it well. I think its dangerous for joggers to jog on the road.... without the obvious dangers, I was highlighting the thousands of drivers who drive by you and maybe Drunk, stoned, uninsured, driving a stolen car etc....

Public transport here is excellent, theres no need to even dream of driving home drunk when even if your 100kms away from home theres a train every hour after 12.

You know that, I know that, however, there are still drunk drivers on the road. All the time.
    Learners cant drive on their own and can only go out in an instructers car with dual controls.

Inexperienced drivers are out on the road on provisional licenses all the time.
    Car theft happens everywhere, but here they just bang a reg into the computer in the squad car and can instantly see if its stolen.

That doesn't stop people getting milled out of it by stolen cars. Jogging on the road increased the chances of this happening.
    so if you do want to get off your head on some substance you can still tram or train it home.

Yet people drive stoned and off their faces all the time, prescribed and illegal.
    People running on the road i.e. Jaywalking is not allowed as the road is for road traffic not pedestrians and will get you a fine.

I didn't actually know that it was illegal to run on the road. I think we are singing off the same hym sheet here, I just didn't make myself clear.

You know that, I know that, however, there are still drunk drivers on the road. All the time.

Yeh of course, but nowhere near the problem like it is in Ireland.
    Inexperienced drivers are out on the road on provisional licenses all the time.

No provisionals here at all :), just a learners permit and you can't drive a car on your own with this.

That doesn't stop people getting milled out of it by stolen cars. Jogging on the road increased the chances of this happening.

Indeed
    Yet people drive stoned and off their faces all the time, prescribed and illegal.
    In Ireland yes, but i do think the drugs in Ireland are far more of a problem than in Holland, if anything i've seen more people taking drugs in Ireland than here.
    I didn't actually know that it was illegal to run on the road. I think we are singing off the same hym sheet here, I just didn't make myself clear.

Same in Germany and most other Euro zone countries. I think we are singing off the same sheet :)

Pedestrians should stay on the footpath were their supposed to be and should only be on the road when crossing it at an appropriate crossing.

:confused:Crossed wires... I was talking about Ireland all along, I thought the fine for joggers on the road was an excellent idea, and was highlighting the dangers of jogging on the road.

I keep forgetting people can't read my mind here... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

There are very, very, very few runners who will choose to run on the road surface rather than on a pavement. No runner is stupid enough to deliberately endanger themselves and while there is a demand for products like this to help identify athletes flattened by drivers no-one will be complacent enough to assume that they can just dart out onto the tarmac without any worries.

That said if you are running on a pavement that is blocked by pedestrians who won't make way for whatever reason then you may have no choice but to duck out onto the road for a few yards. Or there may be a short stretch like there is close to my home where there is pavement on one side but not the other. If the road is too busy to cross safely you may choose to take a small calculated risk and just run on the unpaved section for the couple of dozen yards. As an adult you are balancing the risk of crossing against the risk of teh short run on tarmac and deciding which one is safest.

And where there is no pavement (ie most country roads) there is an equal duty of care on both sides - runners need to be safe (stay on the correct side of teh road, be visible) but drivers also need to exercise care. I have had to jump out of teh way of countless cars that came speeding too fast round blind bends or over hills. If there is no pavement then a pedestrian (running or walking) has just as much right to be on teh tarmac as any other road user, be they cyclist, horse rider, motorcyclist or car driver.

Runners - like all other non-car road users - do have a right to be on the road in certain circumstances. Like all other roads users they have a duty to be seen and to protect themselves. But there is a hierarchy - an arctic truck driver has to be a little more careful when turning because the size of his vehicle makes damage more severe. Likewise car drivers have a responsibility to make sure that they are paying attention to other - more vulnerable - road users (of all categories) and not unnecessarily endangering anyone.

There are very, very, very few runners who will choose to run on the road surface rather than on a pavement.

Those few run by my gaff every day! :D I'm not kidding, visit Raheny in Dublin, its unbelievable.

Ever at the Pheonix park Motor races when the joggers climb over the barriers because "I jog here every Sunday, there is no way I'm going to stop for a car race"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Joggers climb over the barriers because "I jog here every Sunday, there is no way I'm going to stop for a car race"?

Not to worry, Darwinian selection will weed out the lunatics in time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Lucky for you there was no driver forced into your path by an aggressive overtaker acting the muppert [sic].

Thats the second time you've wasted a post trying to annoy me and pointing out a spelling mistake. :rolleyes:Get over yourself, if you've nothing to add to the debate other then saying that the rules of the road is not a legal document(I know its not but its an interpretation of the law) then go somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Is this a forum for joggers?:p

Advertisement