Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing a Triton T90

• 24-03-2008 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

About to fit a Triton T90 in the bathroom.
    I have a number of questions that you plumbing experts might be able to answer for me.
    1 Can I use Qualpex from attic tank directly to shower unit (with of course a gate valve in between)?
    2 What fitting do I need to connect to tank?
    3 What fitting do I need to connect qualpex to shower unit?
    4 Do I need to use PTFE tape?
    Any other pointers or tips greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
    Aleon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

1-yeah qual-pex can be used all the way
    2-a 1/2" 350 with washers
    3-you'll get a 1/2" compression elbow with the triton although it might be worth changing the nut&ring on the side that connects to the qual-pex to irish size as the n&r supplied are 15mm
    4-a coupled of wraps of ptfe around the compressed rings on thefittings would certainly do no harm
    5-when you turn on the water on the gate valve just open the filter on the t90 to purge the air out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Why not use some 15mm Size Acorn/Hep2 0 .
    Qulapex is very hard to work with.......very tight and springy - the acorn is polyabuthelene and not ackward pex.
    ask for a acorn tank connector, an acorn gate valve, and as the pipe is 15mm the compresssion elbow you'll get will fit straight to it.
    No worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Acorn pipe is awful pipe. We've got loads of it sent to us to try and it's still lying around .

Acorn pipe goes hard with time and has on occasion broken and snapped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Dont forget to use the inserts for qualpex

311 wrote: »
    Acorn pipe is awful pipe. We've got loads of it sent to us to try and it's still lying around .

Acorn pipe goes hard with time and has on occasion broken and snapped.

Well, your view is your own, but mine is Acorn all the way. I hate pex - ever since some 3/4 sprung back from a coil and smacked me in the face and buised me!
    Way, Way, WAY too hard to work with.
    For this triton install - it prefect and no need to change orings and that lark.

• Advertisement

Honestly ,acorn pipe has broken in front of me a few times. Old installations.

If your concerned about qualpex ,it can be bought in lenghts that are easier for straight runs.

Acorn doesn't hold it's softness ,it gets brittle over time and can snap away from fittings:(
    Seriously ,I use pipe everyday ,mostly copper though and occasionally qualpex.

Honestly ,acorn pipe has broken in front of me a few times. Old installations.

If your concerned about qualpex ,it can be bought in lenghts that are easier for straight runs.

Acorn doesn't hold it's softness ,it gets brittle over time and can snap away from fittings:(
    Seriously ,I use pipe everyday ,mostly copper though and occasionally qualpex.

Hi 311,

As i said before, we are all entitled to our opinion.
    But for me - Pex pipe is rubbish. But thats just me.

Hi 311,

As i said before, we are all entitled to our opinion.
    But for me - Pex pipe is rubbish. But thats just me.

Fair enough ,but when your working in houses worth millions ,there really isn't a choice in the matter.

Fair enough ,but when your working in houses worth millions ,there really isn't a choice in the matter.

Eager for the last word on this Pex V's Polybutelene debate - ?

Go on have ,it.........please:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

what you need here is some Electro polished 316 stainless steel. :D:D:D:D:D
    (never break or rust)
    imho Qual-pex is the one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Slightly off topic I know but how much should it cost to fit a T90. That is for a professional doing the electrical and plumbing work?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AleoN

Thanks guys for all the help. Think I will go with Qualpex as 311 advised – used it before and found it good.
    Landydef - See what you mean about 15 mm elbow supplied with shower. I tried a half –inch ring on qualpex and it was far better fit.
    Pataman - I actually thought of those inserts – thanks
    311 I think I will go with your advice -Thanks

AleoN

AleoN wrote: »
    Thanks guys for all the help. Think I will go with Qualpex as 311 advised – used it before and found it good.
    Landydef - See what you mean about 15 mm elbow supplied with shower. I tried a half –inch ring on qualpex and it was far better fit.
    Pataman - I actually thought of those inserts – thanks
    311 I think I will go with your advice -Thanks

AleoN

If your going to use PEX, make sure its Barrier pipe at least.

Don't put the 350 tank connector under or near where the ballcock is.

What can happen is the bubbles of air when the tank is filling ,get sucked through the shower pipe:eek: ,causing it to prematurely wear out.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AleoN

Don't put the 350 tank connector under or near where the ballcock is.

What can happen is the bubbles of air when the tank is filling ,get sucked through the shower pipe:eek: ,causing it to prematurely wear out.:mad:

Thanks for the advice and tips 311 - much appreciated.
    AleoN

• Registered Users Posts: 17 theangrypotato

Just stumbled across this thread while looking for some info on replacing a knackered T90si with a T90xr.

All the plumbing is already in place so I'm thinking all I'll have to do is to replace the olive in the elbow joint at the shower fitting with a new one right?
    Will the compression fitting be enough or should joint compound be used there too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Just stumbled across this thread while looking for some info on replacing a knackered T90si with a T90xr.

All the plumbing is already in place so I'm thinking all I'll have to do is to replace the olive in the elbow joint at the shower fitting with a new one right?
    Will the compression fitting be enough or should joint compound be used there too?

When you take the old one off if it was done on pex you should not need to change the olive. However if it was done on copper it would be no harm changing the olive as you wont see the leak behind the wall.

When i done this i always redone them with flexi pex or John geest pipe to make sure there was no call backs.

Advertisement