Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iron Crosses 2nd Class 1870, 1914 & 1939

Options
  • 25-03-2008 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hello All...

Instead of taking up space with multiple threads, I decided I would show some of my EK's in the one place. This way I (or anyone else) can add more examples over time. Obviously, if anyone is lucky enough to have in their possession an 1813 or 1870 version I would be delighted to see it.

Here is my first contribution:
    A very rare early one-piece (zinc) cross in the 'Schinkel-form' style. This one is showing its age with paint-loss and wear to the plating. The jump ring has also been pulled away from the obverse but is still solid. As with all of these style crosses it is unmarked.

(The iron cross as we know it was originally designed by the architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel. These crosses are termed 'Schinkel-form' in reference to their similarities in size and shape to the original iron crosses, as opposed to the larger 1939 version).

schinkel1pieceit9.th.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

This one landed today, a long awaited "1" from the firm of Deschler & Söhne, Munich.

A heavier than usual EK2 with a very distinctive hump at the suspension ring. I admit I probably over-paid for this one given it's condition, but it's the first I have seen offered anywhere in ages, so I couldn't resist. Unfortunately only a partial stamping on the ring, but still most definitely a Deschler.

mm1cl5.th.jpg

mm3br3.th.jpg

mm4ss9.th.jpg

mm6ic5.th.jpg

mm7uv8.th.jpg

• Advertisement

mm11po0.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

some fine crosses there Dan,being trying to photo my own but they keep coming out blurry,brought them down from the attic so hopefully i'll get a clearer shot tomorrow,so how many have you in your collection?,i'd imagine they would make a really lovely display when alltogether

mm13ahv3.th.jpg

This is one of the many firms who used two different cores for their crosses during the war. The above example has a 'stepped swastika' while the example below does not have this feature.

mm13bnd5.th.jpg

arnhem44 wrote: »
    some fine crosses there Dan,being trying to photo my own but they keep coming out blurry,brought them down from the attic so hopefully i'll get a clearer shot tomorrow,so how many have you in your collection?,i'd imagine they would make a really lovely display when alltogether

Thanks for the kind comments!:)
    I just can't get enough of these crosses! I'm looking forward to seeing yours.. are any of them maker-marked?
    At the moment I have about 50 crosses in my collection, recently I sold off quite a few of my unmarked examples to finance some other purchases.

wow thats some collection,i've around a hundred and forty or fifty medals altogether but always stuck to buying one of each,the crosses are all maker markered,the ww2 first class is marked 4,the ww2 second class is 27 and the ww1 second class has what looks like two stamps but i really can't tell what the makers mark are,i nearly went blind looking at it the other night:owill do my best to get them posted up here

• Advertisement

mm15pa8.th.jpg

mm21dn5.th.jpg

Finally got them done,as you can see the first class has an edge knock.

Hello arnhem44,

Those are some really nice crosses!

The EK1 has seen better days, but still looks good. I like the 'been there' look (as can be seen on a lot of my crosses!)

The EK2 mm '27' (Anton Schenkl's Nachfolger, Vienna) is one of my favourite makers. Your cross is in better condition than my example which is missing some paint from the core.
    The ribbon on yours is incorrect - it is from a War Merit Cross 2nd class (KVK2 - Kreigsverdienst Kreuz) - a reversed version of the EK2 ribbon.

mm27xc1.th.jpg

The 1914 medal bar with the Hindenberg cross is great! The EK is a nice "CD 800" . IMO these crosses have some of the best core details seen on 1914 EK's. Here's mine for comparison.

cd800f2mm9.th.jpg

cd800b2ph0.th.jpg

Again, great crosses! Thanks for showing them.

- Dan

Thanks for the info Dan,it just so happens i have a second class merit medal with a very poor replacement ribbon so i'll be able to swap over,have to pick up a piece of original ribbon now,i should of noticed that before:rolleyes:

just saw an 1813 1st class cross on ebay,user name lots-of-good-stuff,auctions nearly over,i've never seen one before and looks pretty plain to me

I had a look... and I reckon it's a fake.

The core looks like it is from a later piece that has had it's details ground or shaved off. Inconsistant wear on the beading, and the patina on the reverse looks false also - maybe chemically treated.

The price makes me very suspicious! As there were only 638 officially awarded 1813 Ek1's, these usually sell for huge amounts.

I never saw one before and it does look a bit iffy,are they all plain like that??,there is more repos on ebay now than originals,there rules regarding the sale of german medals and badges are also silly,i think your better off sticking to private dealers or shops where you can judge a medal or badge before you buy,i have quite a few repos now,especially german badges:(

Yes, the obverse of the 1813 EK is plain, but the reverse of the second class version is the same as the 1870 and 1914 versions. It shows the crown of Prussia, the initials 'FW' (Friedrich Wilhelm III - the founder of the iron cross award), the spray of oak leaves and the year of institution, 1813.

danpatjoe wrote: »
    I had a look... and I reckon it's a fake.

The core looks like it is from a later piece that has had it's details ground or shaved off. Inconsistant wear on the beading, and the patina on the reverse looks false also - maybe chemically treated.

The price makes me very suspicious! As there were only 638 officially awarded 1813 Ek1's, these usually sell for huge amounts.

Having looked at it again,it does look to have been tampered with on the front,something looks like its been removed from the center out,bad luck for the one who wins it if it isn't original

• Advertisement

mm22zc2.th.jpg

mm23so6.th.jpg

This maker's crosses are commonly refered to as 'wide-frame' examples. Frequently found with additional marks on the small jump-ring. ('Acorn', 'cross' and 'dot' being some of these additional marks.)

mm24akj9.th.jpg

mm24bce3.th.jpg

mm25zw0.th.jpg

mm40qq0.th.jpg

mm44ec9.th.jpg

This makers crosses are commonly found with very distressed beading with evidence of many die flaws.

mm55bwe9.th.jpg

One of the rarer makers.

mm60mx0.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Must say, I love your collection! :)

• Advertisement

Preusse wrote: »
    Must say, I love your collection! :)

Thanks Preusse! :)
    I just can't get enough of these little crosses!

Hopefully these images may be of some help as a reference for someone who is intending to purchase an EK.

Advertisement