Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iron Crosses 2nd Class 1870, 1914 & 1939

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

A recently purchased beauty!

This one is in exceptional condition (although the scans do not show it at it's best - the highly reflective rhodium plating is reflecting the light and causing the shiny areas to look black / dark).
    Perfect matte core and it also retains almost all of the frosting on the beading.

mm132ym6.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Hello Dan,some fine crosses as always,keep them coming.Just a quick question,would the value of each cross be generally the same as the next or would the more sought after makers be more expensive?

arnhem44 wrote: »
    Hello Dan,some fine crosses as always,keep them coming.Just a quick question,would the value of each cross be generally the same as the next or would the more sought after makers be more expensive?

I wish!!

No, the rarer marks are generally more expensive, (unless the seller doesn't realise exactly what he has!) and condition is also a factor, but a rare cross in bad condition can still sell for more than a common one in mint condition. As with all TR stuff, the prices on these has been rising steadily.

The 'Round 3' and 'Schinkelform' examples are roughly twice the price of a standard marked EK2 (also due to their rarity) while the so called 'Übergrösse' (an EK2 with almost the same dimensions as the Ritterkreuz - 47x47mm) commands approx. 5 times as much as a standard. (..still trying to get one of those!)

- Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

I never realised there was so many makers of one particular medal until you posted this thread up,its interesting to know that they command different values,I guess alot of the sellers selling these don't realise what they may have and a bargin can be picked up from time to time,lovely collection anyway Dan,great to see them

Another of the rarer makers.

mm14dv1.th.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭IR240474

Hey,

Is there a web site that gives you the prices for those medals?

I want to buy the WW2 one.

Thanks...

Dave

Hi Dave,

If you are interested, I have one for sale here:
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=63467&cat=500
    (at a very reasonable price too, if I say so myself!)

If you would prefer to have a look around at some dealers sites, Preusse has a list of sites you can check out here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055180936

But be careful, just because it is from a dealer does not automatically mean it's genuine. I had a quick look at some of the sites and found this cross for sale at $195 on The Ruptured Duck...

m206abjpgzi0.th.jpg

m206acjpgwg1.th.jpg

http://www.therupturedduck.com/WebPages/Medals/Medals/m206a.htm

Here's his blurb:
    "M-206a Mint “Ring Marked” 1939 EK II
    A gem in every respect with 99% of the paint intact and perfect plating on the frame. The ring is deeply stamped “5” for the firm of Hermann Wernstein in Jena-Löbstedt. This is complete with a full mint ribbon, and it also has the blue paper packet. The maker’s information is cut out from the reverse of the packet so I presume it did not match the maker.
    $195.00"

Looks good, but DON'T buy it!!
    IT'S A FAKE!! :eek:

These fakes were made by a jeweller from Vienna called Johannes Floch. He has made excellent copies of many TR awards and has fooled countless collectors. The maker number '5' was added to make the cross seem to be a rare find. Personally, I have never seen a genuine '5' marked EK2. Floch crosses also come unmarked and I've seen examples with the mark '49' also.

Best of luck getting your first EK2, but be warned... collecting these things can be addictive!

- Dan

Hi Dan,

If the medal is genuine then I am interested..

Are they both for sale for 65? or just the one?

I am away for a few days, back on sunday, I will check here again and we can talk about sending you the cash. So hold them for me until then please.

Thanks Dan.

Dave..

Hi Dave,

The medal is guaranteed 100% genuine. There is only one available, it is pictured both front and back. If you are interested, I think the rules of Adverts.ie state that you have to post a reply in the thread saying you will buy it. (Sales outside the site are forbidden).

- Dan

danpatjoe wrote: »
    ...I had a quick look at some of the sites and found this cross for sale at $195 on The Ruptured Duck...

m206abjpgzi0.th.jpg

m206acjpgwg1.th.jpg

http://www.therupturedduck.com/WebPages/Medals/Medals/m206a.htm

Here's his blurb:
    "M-206a Mint “Ring Marked” 1939 EK II
    A gem in every respect with 99% of the paint intact and perfect plating on the frame. The ring is deeply stamped “5” for the firm of Hermann Wernstein in Jena-Löbstedt. This is complete with a full mint ribbon, and it also has the blue paper packet. The maker’s information is cut out from the reverse of the packet so I presume it did not match the maker.
    $195.00"

Looks good, but DON'T buy it!!
    IT'S A FAKE!! :eek:

These fakes were made by a jeweller from Vienna called Johannes Floch. He has made excellent copies of many TR awards and has fooled countless collectors. The maker number '5' was added to make the cross seem to be a rare find. Personally, I have never seen a genuine '5' marked EK2. Floch crosses also come unmarked and I've seen examples with the mark '49' also.

- Dan

Just an update to this post, here is an identicle 'Floch' fake EK2 with the maker mark '49'. Note in particular the wide sweep of the lower curve of the '3' in the 1813 date on the reverse.

ek249oyk2.th.jpg

ek249rwt4.th.jpg

These are just one type of really well made copies that are out there... and while on the topic of fake EK2's, never buy one with the maker marks '333', '666' or '999'

- Dan

• Advertisement

Hey Dan,

I posted that I will buy it from you.

Thanks..

Dave..

Back to the original topic...

Here's my latest addition, and not seen everyday, a maker mark '19' from the firm of E. Ferd Weidmann, Frankfurt/Main.
    This one seems to have a silver wash underneath the paint on the (magnetic) core.

mm19fn5.th.jpg

It is getting extremely difficult to find any crosses with marks not already in my collection, but to momentarily satisfy the craving, another well worn and slightly abused '65' Klein & Quenzer arrived yesterday.

mm65blw7.th.jpg

I was given a Iron cross 2nd class (with ribbon and paper slip) as a wedding present from one of my more imaginative friends! :D

I was given a Iron cross 2nd class (with ribbon and paper slip) as a wedding present from one of my more imaginative friends! :D

Cool!! :D
    That's my kind of present.. I bet your wife wasn't impressed!
    Can we see it? Any marks on the ring?

danpatjoe wrote: »
    Cool!! :D
    That's my kind of present.. I bet your wife wasn't impressed!
    Can we see it? Any marks on the ring?

Well she got Harrods vouchers - my friend said that it was an invite to London too, which was a nice touch.

I really must take a photo or two of it, and also the rest of my small collection. I've also got:

a 2nd WW2 childs gas mask, in original box & label.
    WW2 American infantry compass.
    Some form of altimeter from a plane - just pick it up from a pile of junk in a market. Might not even be anything!

Hello All...

I've had some problems with my imageshack account, but they seem to have resolved themselves so I can again post images.

I have upgraded my EK collection considerably over the past few months, here's the first of the upgrades.
    Another from my favourite manufacturer, Deschler, with a much clearer maker mark.

mm1bkx1.th.jpg

An fine example of a Brehmer cross. This example does not have the 'stepped' swastika.

mm13n.th.jpg

This one came with it's original marked packet of issue.

mm14.th.jpg

A new maker to the collection, a well worn example from the firm of Alois Rettenmaier.

mm16.th.jpg

• Advertisement

mm19.th.jpg

mm21.th.jpg

mm22q.th.jpg

A practically 'mint' example, with all of it's original frosting remaining.

mm23.th.jpg

mm27.th.jpg

mm25.th.jpg

mm40b.th.jpg

mm44.th.jpg

This is another that came with it's original paper packet.

mm55b.th.jpg

• Advertisement

mm60.th.jpg

Advertisement