Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair cap problem !

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Your ping is grand. Are those download speeds kilobits (kb) or kilobytes (kB)? If they're bytes those are awful speeds you're getting (barely better than dial-up), and if they're bits it's even worse - you could get a 14.4kbps modem in 1991!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

If you have other ISP options available to you then I would highly recommend not even giving Digiweb a second chance or bothering anymore with them in any way at all. Dump them and take your business elsewhere. Once bitten and all that as it just does nto seem possible to download that amount over a 24hr period on the connection that you have.
    Stinks of either underhanded tactics by them or just plain ineptitude and inability to manage their own networks and services. Amateurs, dump them, move on elsewhere, forget about them.

As for your wireless and security, yeah it is true that it is your responsibility but not everyone has the technical know-how or savvy to figure it all out so you should be excused on that point with everyone else really.

Oh and I reckon it's just Al Queda in that other house, nothing to worry about... sleep well.....

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

I think you should PM nehaxak and find out who his ISP is, and join them. That way when his speeds go to s**t every evening he will know at least one person to blame, while the few of us who are still with Digiweb can still enjoy decent speeds 24/7 because they poactively manage their network.:rolleyes:

nilhg wrote: »
    I think you should PM nehaxak and find out who his ISP is, and join them. That way when his speeds go to s**t every evening he will know at least one person to blame, while the few of us who are still with Digiweb can still enjoy decent speeds 24/7 because they poactively manage their network.:rolleyes:

That's not a problem, I'm with IBB and I've not a bad word to say about them at all. I get full 3mb speed both ways 24/7 and although I don't abuse the service myself by downloading many video's etc., online - I have never had a problem in the past with them when I have been using 4OD or similar.

Torrents seem to be shaped and fair enough, no probs here with that as I'd use newsgroup access to get the latest episode of whatever TV series I'd be interested in. Otherwise I have yet to see the bandwidth either slow down or have any restrictions imposed on me and I've been with them near to 3 years now at this stage.

Speed has never gone tits up either, unless there was a problem with the high site in which case a call to IBB engineers (I have their mobile number, nyah nyah!) usually gets the problem fixed within a half hour if it's not too serious or in the worst case, the next day. That and I can only remember problems of that nature happening maybe about 5 times in the past 3 years.

I have low latencies, typically 25ms minimum in World of Warcraft upto a max maybe of 80ms sometimes at peak times in the game.

I have VOIP running with Blueface over IBB perfectly fine along with a standalone internet radio streaming stations to the kitchen.

So whatever, not a problem at all here with IBB and would gladly recommend them to anyone looking for an uncapped service.

I couldn't care less about the "excuses" put forward for caps, it's all a load of crap. Another rip off in rip off Ireland.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Nehaxak wrote: »

I couldn't care less about the "excuses" put forward for caps, it's all a load of crap. Another rip off in rip off Ireland.

So true that last line. Currently on a 40gb cap on a 6mb line with out good friends UPC.
    Their website mentions now "faster speeds this summer"
    Really usefull to get even faster through my 40 gb....

OP, you called your isp already?
    Just curious what the exact cause fo your problems are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

inforfun wrote: »
    So true that last line. Currently on a 40gb cap on a 6mb line with out good friends UPC.
    Their website mentions now "faster speeds this summer"
    Really usefull to get even faster through my 40 gb....

OP, you called your isp already?
    Just curious what the exact cause fo your problems are.

With the higher speed you'll get a 120GB cap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Speed has never gone tits up either, unless there was a problem with the high site in which case a call to IBB engineers (I have their mobile number, nyah nyah!) usually gets the problem fixed within a half hour if it's not too serious or in the worst case, the next day.

Wow, they must love you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

Im really annoyed now .
    Pretty blunt in saying it was a piggy-back.
    I asked was it possible to download 29gb on 1 particular day with a 2mb connection , and they said yes.

apparently the email i got to say the cap limit was overdrawn , they say "to fix this problem immediatly" - you can upgrade to the next package.
    they provide an email address that dosent exist.
    "upgrades@digiweb.ie" dosnt actually exist.
    I was transfered to another line to discuss the large download but there were another 5 people ahead on the queue.
    I had to hang up before anybody took my call, at this stage my workplace was closing and the building was being locked up for the night.

i rang again to be told i have to write to "sales@digiweb.ie"

I am now paying 44 euro for a service i dont really need (i dont use torrents or anything)
    I got the email today to say that my upgrade has been applied.
    My internet speed is now between 9 and 11 kbps !!!!

This is a shambles !
    I was also told to downgrade my package will cost me 30 euro.

I only signed up to this crazy price in order to fix the problem of slow download speeds.
    I am going to ring up tomorrow (if they're open?) , and ask for an explanation.
    Im not a fussy person or anything generally, but i will cancel my contract with them immediately if I dont get a genuine and fair response.

The competition is too good to be messed around like this.

I am going to set-up my old dial-up connection meanwhile, incase it is faster.

Hi xxxxx

This upgrade has been applied.
    As regards the speed upgrades, this will depend on the area you live in and the ability of your line to support higher speeds. We don’t have any definite information on your connection at present, however now that you are on a 3Mbps package, we would anticipate that this could significantly increase, up to double or more of the present speed.

Regards,

xxxxxxxx
    Digiweb Technical Services

graph.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I'm having almost the exact same problem as you,
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055263934

Yes , only I have paid to have it fixed !!!!
    signed up to 44 euroo a month , and it still isnt fixed.
    Now they'll want another 30 euro just to go back to my old package.

Total bulls&&&& Digiweb ,.... sort it out !!

Hey ,.... Now my graph has changed !!! ????? its now an 8-day graph , that isnt anything like my download graph !

Can anybody else see that ?

the graph keeps on changing appearance ! anybody know why?

take a look at it now , and take a look at it in 2 minutes (refresh)and i bet it will be different without being edited lany later than 9.05 !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I've last day, last 7days and last 30days graphs on metro. Somehow it dont tell me how much i've transferred in the graphs over the last 30days, it just gives bandwidth rates.

As with other thread i reported, it has mine as zero activity from midnight Friday through all day which is not correct as i downloaded overnight for a few hours.

Something fishy is going on alright.! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

gurramok wrote: »
    I've last day, last 7days and last 30days graphs on metro. Somehow it dont tell me how much i've transferred in the graphs over the last 30days, it just gives bandwidth rates.

As with other thread i reported, it has mine as zero activity from midnight Friday through all day which is not correct as i downloaded overnight for a few hours.

Something fishy is going on alright.! :)
    Unfortunately I think Digiweb's cap and download control is all automated. So even if there's a problem with their system and we are not over the limit then our connections will still be restricted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

just to add to this, i drove around my town a few weeks ago with my laptop on, and i picked up 393 wireless network's.

84 of them were secure with sufficient wep keys and the likes.

the rest were unsecure.

Just a quick note to say that my download speeds are back to normal,
    Maybe even quicker than ever.
    I never had to make that phonecall to complain,
    so im happy again !
    I dont care about having to pay the extra,..... theres not a service in this country that isnt trying to rip you off anyway !! and I always still feel that the internet is fantastic value if you use it a lot !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

ODD-JOB wrote: »
    Just a quick note to say that my download speeds are back to normal,
    Maybe even quicker than ever.
    I never had to make that phonecall to complain,
    so im happy again !
    I dont care about having to pay the extra,..... theres not a service in this country that isnt trying to rip you off anyway !! and I always still feel that the internet is fantastic value if you use it a lot !

Did you download 100G this month? just wondering curious to know if they have maybe targeted people who take the pi**? downloading 100G or is everyone who goes over there limit? My mate is with BT and says he has gone over his 30G limit still getting perfect speeds this morning

no, never .
    it said i downloaded 40g or so.
    i probably would never have downloaded more than 6 or 8 gig a month.

that graph is crazy in my earlier post. every time i refresh the page here ,...the graph takes on a different reading !!!!

i cant explain it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

ODD-JOB wrote: »
    no, never .
    it said i downloaded 40g or so.
    i probably would never have downloaded more than 6 or 8 gig a month.

that graph is crazy in my earlier post. every time i refresh the page here ,...the graph takes on a different reading !!!!

i cant explain it !

I thought you were with BT and it was throttled like others. I'm with eircom and have gone over my cap by a 1G or so, but never downloaded 100G.

Can anyone who has managed to download this amount post what they download? ie> music, films etc. 100G works out at over 3G a day. Just curious to know how someone can manage it.

• Advertisement

Moriarty wrote: »
    Wow, they must love you.

What you mean how dare a broadband companies employees actually care ?
    Was their tech support who gave me their engineers mobile number one weekend and any time I have had to call them they've been perfect gentlemen and more than accomodating to sort the problem out.

Like I said, not a bad word to say about them and most competitors to IBB only whine about them because they themselves provide a rip off cap imposed and usually generally dreadful service. Screw the customer, welcome to Ireland.

I'd respect an actual users' opinion over anyone associated with an ISP any day and having heard so many bad things about digiweb I'm surprised there's not more mention of how bad they are on here, or actually no, I'm not surprised.

Advertisement