Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing my weapons and more questions

Options
  • 25-03-2008 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi there,

I have a lot of questions and hope that you may help me....

I am coming from Germany and moved to Ireland.

Now I would like to import my weapons and start to shoot in a club.

But how do I do that?

Is there any shooting / target shooting club nearby Waterford?

What is about the import?
    I own the following:
    2 air pistols
    1 air gun
    Pistols and gun for black powder
    Smith & Wesson .357
    Gun .22

I have a full license for the last 2 weapons, the rest is free in Germany.

Best would be that I go the the Garda and ask them. But maybe I can get the one or the other hint from you?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

I'll start off by saying don't refer to them as "weapons". Sporting Firearms is probably better here in Ireland. As for the legality of importing and/or owning your equipment in Ireland I'll leave that up to much more informed members than me. Welkommen !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Hi KayaK, welcome to Ireland and Boards.ie.

First up, and just as a point of information, we prefer not to use the word 'weapon' around here, as all our legally held and licensed firearms are for sporting purposes (hunting and target shooting), not for use as 'weapons'.

You're certainly going to have to talk to your local Gardai sooner or later, so it might be a good idea to make contact with them as soon as is reasonably convenient, if only to introduce yourself and show them that you're not a raving maniac. :D
    Have a chat with the Firearms Officer and tell them what you have and they'll advise on your best course of action to smooth the path to licensing them all here.
    Don't go bringing anything in until you've sorted out the licenses first!

I'm sure other posters here who live in Waterford will be able to give more specific information on the local situation there.

Unfortunately, all of the firearms (:D) you've listed require a license here.

When you say 'Gun', am I correct in thinking you're referring to a long gun (rifle)?

Your air rifle and .22 rifle should be easy enough to license, but the others will require membership of clubs/ranges that cater to the particular discipline involved.
    The pistols will almost certainly require you to have a good security system at home, and the black powder guns (or at least, the actual black powder) may even require your getting an explosives permit.

I'm sure others will be along shortly with more detailed information, and specific information on clubs and ranges in the Waterford area.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

KayaK wrote: »
    I am coming from Germany and moved to Ireland.

Welcome!
    Now I would like to import my weapons and start to shoot in a club.

But how do I do that?

More informed members here should be able to tell you about importing your firearms.

It's a very good idea to join a club as the Garda Siochana will usually want you to be a member of one if you are licensing firearms for target shooting. Also, the members of the club may be able to give you information on licensing firearms in your district.
    Is there any shooting / target shooting club nearby Waterford?

I don't know of any clubs near Waterford. The nearest ones I know are:

Fermoy Rifle Club (~100km from Waterford city)
    Rathdrum Rifle and Pistol Club (~110km from Waterford City)
    Mallow Rifle and Pistol Club (~120km from Waterford city)
    Midlands Rifle Club (~140km from Waterford city)

All the clubs that I know the locations of are here.

On the Boards.ie wiki there's a list of clubs and ranges which has more information as well.

Perhaps others here know of a club nearer Waterford?
    What is about the import?
    I own the following:
    2 air pistols
    1 air gun
    Pistols and gun for black powder
    Smith & Wesson .357
    Gun .22

I have a full license for the last 2 weapons, the rest is free in Germany.

You'll need a license for all of those (unless of course the airguns have <1 Joule muzzle energy - unlikely).
    Best would be that I go the the Garda and ask them.

You'll need to apply for a license for them at your local station. If you telephone your nearest station (phone numbers here) and ask to speak to someone about firearms licensing they should help you out. If the relevant person is not there at the time, the person answering the phone should be able to tell you when they'll next be on duty so that you can call back.

Once you make contact with your local firearms officer it should be just a matter of filling in a form, paying the fee and waiting (possibly a long time). Firearms are licensed individually in Ireland, so you will have to fill out a form and pay for each firearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If your black powder gun is rifled and of the usual BP rifle calibre (over .308) you have yourself a "restricted" firearm.
    If its a caplock you may need a reloading permit to buy the caps. (or so im told)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Wilkommen Kayak.
    Folks,dont get to upset about his useage of the word weapon here.It is a direct translation from the German word waffe which is a plural word for firearms in general.
    Anyawys Kayak,you will have either a waffenschein[gun liscense] or a sportschutzen schein[sport shooters liscense] for the BP guns and S&W revolver and the 22 rifle.
    First stop get in Germany the EU waffenpass,.It is a recogniseable document to local Gardai and with your German gun liscenses shows that you are competant and legally able to posses them in Germany.Should be then just finding a gun club to shoot on then for approval.The fun bit will be in Germany is getting the air guns on the EU weapons permit.as they are classified as non guns over there.
    Hope this helps

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 KayaK

Dear all,

thanks a lot for all this information.

I will call all this stuff "sporting firearms" - no problem ;-)

@Grizzly: I have the "EU Feuerwaffenpass" and the "Waffenbesitzkarte" as well as a certificate for buying black powder.

It will be impossible to get the air pistols onto my card, as they are free in Germany.

Nevertheless your answers showed me that I am on the right way.

1. I will look for a club. What should I do with the firearms, if not shooting in a club?

2. I will contact the Garda and introduce myself.

I am sure, we will read from each other from time to time.

Thanks for all the help!

Advertisement