Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying N95 or Htc Tytn Smartphone in Limerick

• 25-03-2008 1:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello Everyone,

I would like to buy in Ireland (Limerick) a N95 (last model) and it HAVE TO be Unlocked. Anyone suggest a place, store, address to buy it?

However, if you know a place that sell Htc Tytn Kaiser it also help me...

Please if you now the price range in Ireland please add it to the reply.

Best Regards
    Jack Stuard

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭lassykk

i bought a HTC kaiser off ebay for €340 delivered.. its not new but its only 3 weeks old... haven't received it yet (only bought it over the weekend) but that was the cheapest I could find from a reliable seller

couple on adverts for €450 & €520 i think... open to correction on that and €630ish off expansys.ie before delivery

afraid i know very little bout n95's as i've little interest in them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jackstuard

I'd rather not buy on Ebay.. will be my last choice..

I'd like a store or place in Ireland, specially in Limerick.. but I don't know if there are places that sell unlocked phones..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

I'm a ready to go voda-customer, and I bought mine last summer from c&c cellular in castlebar for E499!(new) It's voda-branded but not sim-locked!
    Great phone btw!

Strecker, can you explain me the difference between a branded and a sim-locked phone?

What I'm looking for is a phone that I can use in any country, any GSM provider.. actually I'm from Brazil. My friend will buy a smartphone to me(a N95 or a HTC Kaiser), so I need provide this information for him.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

"branded" generally means that it's branded by the network that is selling you the phone (in return it's usually a bit cheaper than an unbranded one - but shop around... It's not always the case).
    Branding can include a logo/emblem on the phone, a theme in the network's colours, shortcuts in the browser and/or the network's homepage (e.g. Vodafone life) as you're browser's startpage. The phone's firmware (operating system) may be manipulated as well...to add or delete features (e.g. Voip in certain nokia handsets were removed by vodafone. "3" used to disable the capability to use phone as a modem...)... And many "branded" handsets are "sim-locked", i.e. you can only use it with a sim-card from the network that sold it to you. Generally they will provide you with an unlock code once you have spent s certain amount of credit with a prepay-phone... i don't like contracts, so another member will have to fill you in on unlocking of contract phones!
    now, not all branded phones are necessarily sim-locked (my vodafone treo 750v and my tytn are branded but were not locked to vodafone)... My vodafone prepay n95/8gb was neither branded nor sim-locked when I bought it!
    And I know that some o2 handsets are simlocked but have very little branding!

it's not very orderly.... Hehehe
    you can buy unbranded "sim-free" (ie not sim-locked) handsets straight from the makers or online (from the likes of expansys.ie), or in independent mobile phone shops! Those phones usually work with any network/sim card, but it can be difficult to get all the proper settings (like gprs/wap/mms/email) for a phone that the network not officially supports - but that's what forums like this are for! And the bigger phone makers usually have ways to send you sttings! (check their websites!)

• Advertisement

Well, I'll try to get a unbraded and "sim-free" phone..
    As I'll be using this phone here at Brazil carriers, some capabilities will be not enabled, but I hope that wi-fi (to use skype) be available.. well thanks for your explanation, I hope that my friend find a phone shop that sell one of this mobile phones..

If someone has a recomendation, please let me know.
    Thanks

Advertisement