Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows install problem with Packard Bell PC

• 25-03-2008 1:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Need some help with a Windows install. Searched the forum but found nothing.

I have a friends Packard Bell PC that I was trying to install Windows 2000 Pro on. He got the PC from a lad he works with. It came with Windows XP Home Edition but of course no discs came with the PC (the usual scenario)

I tried to install Windows 2000. When it got to the point of the install where it saves all the installation files onto the hard drive prior to it's initial reboot, it stops around 92% saying it was unable to find several files (the W2K CD itself is fine). I tried installing XP home Edition and XP Pro with the same issue.

I assumed it was the hard drive that had some sort of hidden partition that only allowed the original disc the PC came with to be used for reinstalls. As a result I purchased a new hard drive, however, the problem is still happening with ANY Windows CD I use. Any ideas?!!! It's driving me mad :mad:

Could it be something else I've missed? Sorry for the long winded story.

K.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Did you delete the previous partitions that were setup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Faulty CD drive by the sounds of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

you could use a win98 bootdisk on a 3.5inch floppy disk, to format the hd in fat32,use fdisk to make 1large partition .look at bootdisk .com ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Faulty CD drive by the sounds of it.

+1

Unlikely to be the same issue with 3 different OS instal discs . Unlikely to be the same issue with 2 HDDs . Faulty CD drive is most likely culprit and easy to identify or eliminate as the cause .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

assuming you have a transferrrable windows license,
    ( XP pro allows you to use 2000 PRO, XP home only allows you to use XP home )

copy the i386 folder to the HDD and run winnt.exe from there
    if you get errors in copying guess what

windows 95 was a pig for disabling DOS CDROM drivers during setup and failing because it could no longer see the CD

reset the BIOS to defaults - thinking of HDD settings / sata drivers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

nessyguin wrote: »
    +1

Unlikely to be the same issue with 3 different OS instal discs . Unlikely to be the same issue with 2 HDDs . Faulty CD drive is most likely culprit and easy to identify or eliminate as the cause .
    +2

Advertisement