Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only team to win an FA Cup final...

• 25-03-2008 2:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭

...without an englishman.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

My initial thought was Chelsea in 2000 but Dennis Wise has ruined that for me.

Was it Cardiff back in the day with a team of Welsh lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Was it Cardiff back in the day with a team of Welsh lads?

No... Checked that before posting. They had at least one englishman (and a few irish too actually).

To be fair... this team did have an englishman as an unused sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Shot in the dark, but was it Arsenal a couple of years ago against United in the peno shootout? I can't remember if Campbell had left them by then or not.

Hmmm Arsenal 2005 had only Ashley Cole play so that's them gone. Campbell was on the bench in that one. My brain is telling me it could be in the 80s some time but it's let me down before.

Hmmm Arsenal 2005 had only Ashley Cole play so that's them gone. Campbell was on the bench in that one. My brain is telling me it could be in the 80s some time but it's let me down before.

Yeah, I thought of Cashley but thought he might have been injured or something. Wouldn't it have been fairly rare for an English team in the 80's to not have an Englishman?

I think I'll stick with Arsenal; maybe not against United, but against Southampton?

• Advertisement

Yeah, I thought of Cashley but thought he might have been injured or something. Wouldn't it have been fairly rare for an English team in the 80's to not have an Englishman?

I think I'll stick with Arsenal; maybe not against United, but against Southampton?

No. 'fraid not. Arsenal never played Southampton in an FA cup final, did they?

Yeah I think the ol brain is confusing it for the last time a team won the FA Cup with ONLY English players.

Anyway, this is a potential trick question.

el_weirdo wrote: »
    No. 'fraid not. Arsenal never played Southampton in an FA cup final, did they?
    Yeah they did, I think it was 2003 or 2004.

I've been trying to work that angle as well! Maybe not necessarily the English FA, but the SFA or something?

Yeah I think the ol brain is confusing it for the last time a team won the FA Cup with ONLY English players.

Its not a trick question. no need to think outside the box.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

It was Liverpool in 1986.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

pd101 wrote: »

Lawro was actually born in Preston, England.

pd101 wrote: »

Correct.

Except for the fact that Mark Lawrenson was English and only played for Ireland under the grandparent rule.

javaboy wrote: »
    Except for the fact that Mark Lawrenson was English and only played for Ireland under the grandparent rule.

As did a lot of the Irish team around that time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Bonus point for saying Steve McMahon was an unused sub on the day?

Dodge wrote: »
    Bonus point for saying Steve McMahon was an unused sub on the day?
    Bonus point awarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Yessss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Well by that token, if Lawrenson wasn't an Englishman then Craig Johnstone was. Australian born, but played under age for England and although never made an appearance, was part of a senior English squad.

[/pedant]

Well by that token, if Lawrenson wasn't an Englishman then Craig Johnstone was. Australian born, but played under age for England and although never made an appearance, was part of a senior English squad.

[/pedant]

:confused: I was saying Mark Lawrenson is English. I would also consider Craig J to be Australian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

:confused: I was saying Mark Lawrenson is English. I would also consider Craig J to be Australian.

I suppose there's always a grey area when people are eligible for more than one country. If you're born in a stable, you aren't always a horse.

• Advertisement

I suppose there's always a grey area when people are eligible for more than one country. If you're born in a stable, you aren't always a horse.

True enough but I think I would regard Andy Townsend, Mark Lawrenson, Mick McCarthy et al as English since they talk with English accents and were born and bred in England. I would call them Irish players maybe but Englishmen. :)

True enough but I think I would regard Andy Townsend, Mark Lawrenson, Mick McCarthy et al as English since they talk with English accents and were born and bred in England. I would call them Irish players maybe but Englishmen. :)

Thanks a lot! I myself was born in England and still have an accent but I most certainly not English! I have always considered myself Irish and have never held a british passport as I although I'm entitled to one, I don't want one. Of course, many of you may disagree but I don't think that's a discussion for a sports trivia forum!:D

I suppose if you want, you could ask who were the last team to win the FA cup without fielding a capped english international, that would work. Actually, I don't even think McMahon was capped by that stage. Think he won his first cap 2 or 3 years after...

Advertisement