Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do i get a License for 303

Options
  • 25-03-2008 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    On one hand i collect militaria and on the other hand love shooting.
    So what happens if you put your hands together?
    Thats right, me shooting a lee enfield.
    But i have a problem.
    Living in cork city i don't have much call for a deer license and there's no long range rifle club near by (that i know of).
    So whats a lad to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Get it bored out to a 410 shotgun Bouy!:D
    Ok a rather simplistic answer on my part.But one that still allows you to fire it [somwhat] without the hassle of getting a rifle liscense.There is a club in Middleton I think or another restarting in around Mallow.Or go over to the Kingdom ,there is a range there as well.
    BTW where do you plan to get 303 British ammo cheaply??It is becoming scarce I belive.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Ok a rather simplistic answer on my part.But one that still allows you to fire it [somwhat] without the hassle of getting a rifle liscense.There is a club in Middleton I think or another restarting in around Mallow.Or go over to the Kingdom ,there is a range there as well.
    BTW where do you plan to get 303 British ammo cheaply??It is becoming scarce I belive.

grizzly im nearly sure a firearms dealer in the north has plenty of mill surp 303 , will check next time im up, maybe this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

As you're a militaria collector, I suspect that Grizzly's 'boring out to .410' suggestion is anathema. :D

You really only have two options: deer hunting and target shooting.
    I've never heard of anyone licensing a .303 for the destruction of vermin, has anyone else?

If you want to actually fire the rifle, you're going to need somewhere to do so. I'm inferring from your post that your interest is in the rifle itself, not particularly in deer hunting, so I'd say that membership of a suitable club/range would be much more viable and useful to you than a deer permit that you have no intention of using.

As Grizzly has said, there are a few clubs within reasonable reach of Cork city, so that might be the best place to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭rabbit Stew

Thanks for the replies lads,
    A deer license is something that i would aspire too but at present getting the rifle and getting as much practice as humanely possible is the target. As regards the shotgun idea, i think grizzly knows that is really not an option and i'm also sure that he is ashamed for even suggesting it;).
    If anyone knows of a club close to cork where i would be able to practice with such a rifle and shoot out to a minimum of 200-300m i'd love to hear about it.
    PM me if you want.
    Cheers
    Stew

I'm ashamed to have to suggest it ,because of our daft laws here on collecting firearms.Needs to an end and all that.;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭rabbit Stew

Hear hear Grizzly,
    You took the words right out of my mouth (it must have been while you were kissing me):eek:
    SOOoooo what can i do, Fermoy rifle range only caters for 100m silhoutte targets (which the 303 will make sh1t of, maybe?) and according to the target shooting forum Mallow is in a state of flux.
    HELP!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Join the midlands club. They have members from all over the country. You might not get out there every other day, but it'd solve your problem at least. And then, go offer to help out in Mallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

grizzly,wheres the range in the kingdom buddy:D

Kerry Target Sports Club.
    Contact is ktsc@eircom.net.
    Hmm their website hasnt changed much....Are they still in biz???:confused:

BTW RE the 303 ammo I meant it is getting scase on the World market now.Which will filter down to us here sooner or later.

Advertisement