Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How important are cpu's these days

Options
  • 25-03-2008 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I'm in the process of picking out the parts for my new computer and was wondering how important the cpu is?

At the moment the parts I've picked so far are

Crucial DDR2 BallistiX PC8500 1024 X 2
    XFX GeForce 8800GTX 630M 768MB XXX GDDR3
    Asus Striker Extreme, nForce-680i SLI, Socket-775, 2xGbLAN, DDR2, 2xPCI-Ex16
    OCZ ModXStream Powersupply ATX/EPS 900W ,120mm Fan, SATA, Modular, 20/24pin
    LG DVD±RW burner
    OCZ ModXStream Powersupply ATX/EPS 900W
    Antec Nine Hundred black miditower
    2 x Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM (komplett special offer)

so all thats left is the cpu. I intend on running vista/xp/linux on the machine and I want it to be able to play the latest and greatest games.

Any input would be really appreciated

Thanks,
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

Really it depends on your budget. Get an E2160 and clock it to 3ghz for 60 quid but if you have the money get the E8400 for 200 quid for definite stability at 3ghz or a really high overclock (4 ghz on air at least). So get whichever you can afford!

Also reconsider your choice on the 8800gtx especially a pre overclocked version unless its a steal. You might get better value with the newer 8800gts for price/performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's important, but given the over clocking ability of Core 2 a low end cpu is perfectly sufficient if you're on a budget.....I had a 1.8Ghz E2160 until recently, then a 1.8Ghz E4300, both overclocked to about 2.8Ghz for day to day gaming.

The differences between processors are there, but is largely outside the window of practicality....i.e talking 100 vs 120fps in a given game.

If you're not overclocking at all however, then ideally you should be aiming for something around the 2.4Ghz mark at least, ideally something like this though.

For the price of an 8800GTX you could get 2x9600GT, which is much faster.

I would save yourself some money on the psu, the prices are ludicrous for that ModXStream.This is great, and a whole lot cheaper. Others here will give you better examples of power supplies. Even this is cheaper, and while I've never used one, they constantly come up in the 'best psu' stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

like everything it depends.

If a game doesn't really fully utilize the CPU *cough* crysis *cough* then you are going to see little difference between clocks on the CPU, but if it does utilize the CPU, say HL2, then you will see a big difference in performance.

Your best option is to blow most of you money on a great mobo, graphics card and PSU. The PSU will last you for a few rebuilds and the mobo will allow you to overclock your RAM and CPU without becoming a stability problem.

overclocking is a must if you want to game on a pc, its one of the main advantages of gaming on a pc over a console.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭docetes

Thanks for the help,

I think I'm going to go with the E6850
    and I'll prob downgrade to the PCPOWER&COOLING PSU

Crucial DDR2 BallistiX PC8500 1024 X 2
    Asus Striker Extreme, nForce-680i SLI, Socket-775, 2xGbLAN, DDR2, 2xPCI-Ex16
    LG DVD±RW burner
    Antec Nine Hundred black miditower
    2 x Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM (komplett special offer)

so now its down to the graphics card. I'm thinking MSI GeForce 8800GTS for about €260. I've reacessed the budget and I think the most I'll spend on a graphics card is about €300.

Any sugestions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

number one dont use komplett. Go for www.hardwareversand.de that will save you a nice bit of cash should have most of your build there. Also if you have time and can guess your way through german try www.idealo.de it's a german price search engine. but HV should be close to the best prices you can get.

Also wait til next week for the gfx. the new 9800gtx is out so if you want you can get it,might not be too far off the 300 mark, if not i'm sure there will be a price drop of some sort accross the board on gfx.

just checked there you'll save E100 on the cpu and board alone at hardwareversand. a tenner on the case a tenner on the spinpoints. AFAIK postage is cheaper with them too. try this instead ATX-Netzt.Seasonic M12-700 80Plus, 700Watt 30e less but a very good make. that would save you 170 euro

170+300= 9800gx2 :) (well almost)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

€ 172.00 on a psu are you bloody mad?
    Ya and i don't know why people still quote komplett for prices.

I was just giving examples, not actually saying he should get it!I use Komplett to give examples as it's so easy to navigate. The build in question would be fine with a good 450w power supply!

€ 172.00 on a psu are you bloody mad?

Actually plus one for this.
    if you get the seasonic 500watt version on HV it would save you another 40+ (it's 104 so down 68 in total)
    an would be well able for this spec.

Also the E8400 would be a better option than e 6850. only a tenner extra same clock but more cache and it's 45nm (also aparently great clockers)

I don't see your point.
    Examples for what ?

I don't see your point.
    Examples for what ?

Example that the original power supply he picked out was extremely expensive, even though far better supplies were far cheaper.

I even then said that others here will give you a better run through on power supplies.

• Advertisement

No offence but i'd atleast want it to be able to suck my willy for that price aswell.
    172 on komplette
    118 on kmelektronik.de

I'm not sure why you mods keep advertising sites like komplette.

Keep it clean men there's no need to get aggressive. Lets keep it on topic and just post our suggestions on wat and where to buy. yeah?

***editted appropiately :)***

Your the woman on the plane in anger management ;)
    ***editted appropiately *** aswell :)

To be honest as I've said I use Komplett just to point out items, as it's so user friendly and user navigable. I don't buy there either. I leave the bargain hunting up to you guys, as you always find great deals....in my builds, I tend to only really ever change the processor or video card regularly, I use the same power supply for years - currently using an old Jeantech Storm, so I'm not too up to date on the latest and greatest psu's and the best places to buy them so I generally leave that up to other users, and say as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭docetes

So what sort of PSU would I need. I'm really not sure and don't want to get stung when all my gear arrives and have a PSU without enough power

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

Corsair 550w should be plenty

Advertisement