Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bugging device found

Options
  • 25-03-2008 3:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭

A sophisticated bugging and tracking device has been unearthed in the vehicle of a member of the Dublin 32 County Sovereignty Movement. The device was secreted internally into the dashboard of the vehicle and was equipped with its own self contained power supply. The manner by which the device was installed strongly suggests that those who planted it took considerable time to effect this and was obviously professionally done. The device bears English Manufacturing Labels but as of yet it is uncertain whether it originates from a British, Irish or joint British/Irish intelligence source. Suffice to say that the unearthing of yet another intelligence gathering device clearly illustrates that the war against those who articulate the right of the Irish people to National Sovereignty continues in government(s) circles. The individual 32CSM member involved has sought legal advice on the matter. The 32CSM reiterates our call for all republicans to be diligent in the face of these insidious attempts to undermine the republican struggle. British Parliamentary activity in Ireland takes many forms.
    Dublin 32CSM 24/03/08

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

if anyone is unsure about this organisation i will explain.they are a perfectly legal political group,although they are not a 'party' as such,but more a pressure group and have been involved in anti-drug campaigns in the community and the like...as their name shows,they are a republican group and this highlights how far,illegal or not, the british and irish goverments will go to crush perfectly legal groups...
    it is also disturbing to know that members of republican parties have had their msn hacked,their pm's on internet sites read and even a case recently in tyrone where they raided a republicans house because he asked for a copy of the intelligence file the psni had on him[a perfectly legal request]

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Am sure they are completely legal.. Is this the same group that supports the goals of the Real IRA - and the lenght to which they will go to achieve these goals?

If so, tis not remotely disturbing at all.

no,it is certainly not legal....the 32csm and the real ira are seperate groups with serperate members...would you be comfortable with being under surveillance constantly and having you're family home raided because you support a perfectly legal political group?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Rossibaby wrote: »
    no,it is certainly not legal

How do you know? For all you know it could be a legally established surveillance operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

The device bears English Manufacturing Labels but as of yet it is uncertain whether it originates from a British, Irish or joint British/Irish intelligence source.

Well that makes sense doesnt it , bug someones car and oh yeah , dont forget to take off the makers stickers , just in case it gets spotted !! They may as well have stamped MI5/6 all over it !

• Advertisement

well said mathias...IRLconor...is a raid of a persons house in tyrone for no apparent reason except for harrassment proper conduct of a police force republicans are meant to trust...people go on about peace on this island but how can this be when a police force is corrupt and biased...how do i know?i study law as part of my degree and believe me, to break into someones car,implant a surveillance device into the car and connect it to the engine is not very legal...i have seen the device in question,it is not small it is quite large and obviously took quite a while to install...no im pretty sure installing this into the car by breaking into it or having a little friend in a car garage to do it for you isnn't very legal?why,do you agree with this measure?how would you feel if you were alone with your baby child in your home only for you're door to be booted in,your place ran sacked,and when nothing is found you find yourself verbally abused?

IRLconor...is a raid of a persons house in tyrone for no apparent reason except for harrassment proper conduct of a police force republicans are meant to trust

Raid in Tyrone? What has that to do with a bug in a car in Dublin? Different jurisdiction, different police force, etc.
    people go on about peace on this island but how can this be when a police force is corrupt and biased...

Are you talking about the Garda Siochana or the PSNI or both?

Leaving aside corruption (no police force in the world is free of it and I don't think anyone here condones it, certainly I don't) bias is not necessarily a bad thing in a police force. Unfair, unjust bias is obviously bad but a bias by the police (whatever flavour) against the 32CSM is reasonable given that their beliefs are aligned with violent terrorist organisations. It's the same as the bias police have against thieves, murderers, rapists, etc.
    how do i know?i study law as part of my degree and believe me, to break into someones car,implant a surveillance device into the car and connect it to the engine is not very legal...i have seen the device in question,it is not small it is quite large and obviously took quite a while to install...no im pretty sure installing this into the car by breaking into it or having a little friend in a car garage to do it for you isnn't very legal?

I would be very surprised if there was no legal way for the state to bug people. Are you saying that the security services of the Republic cannot under any circumstances place bugs within its jurisdiction? I find that hard to believe.
    why,do you agree with this measure?

I agree with it if, and only if, it was legally sanctioned.
    how would you feel if you were alone with your baby child in your home only for you're door to be booted in,your place ran sacked,and when nothing is found you find yourself verbally abused?

Again, what does this have to do with the bug?

mate do you honestly believe the state and the authorities in the north always use honest methods to gather information?whether it's allowing hoods reign free to try and gather info on other hoods and pass a blind eye to their boys drug dealing or harassing republicans illegally.
    i mentioned tyrone because i believe crown froces were involved in the bugging too as the 32csm recently had 4 members arrested in donegal,who were all from derry...these incidents stink of a joint operation.im sure their are legal ways to bug certain people,but breaking into someones car,installing quite a large device that tracks a person with no links to any paramilitary group seems a bit strange...if they feel psf,rsf,32csm,irsp are dangerous why are they allowed to remain...i know for a fact 32 members are not in real ira...so what if they support the same aims,does this make a 32 a bomber...?no,these are innocent people being needlessy harrassed...you can't paint it however you like.
    tyrone was just another example mate of how these people work.he applied ofr a list of his file from them,they wanted to annoy him and intimidate him so did this...convicted drug dealers get better treatment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

rather than repeat what has been said elsewhere i'll just link to the thread over on politics.ie where they've already summised it's more than likely originnice attempt at some cheap assed PR though

mate do you honestly believe the state and the authorities in the north always use honest methods to gather information?

If the car was legally bugged in the Republic then it was done by Irish security forces so what do the authorities in the north have to do with anything?
    i mentioned tyrone because i believe crown froces were involved in the bugging too as the 32csm recently had 4 members arrested in donegal,who were all from derry...these incidents stink of a joint operation.

I'm sure that if the bug was legally planted the Gardai will pass on any relevant intelligence to the PSNI. Perfectly neighbourly behaviour IMO.

I fully expect the Irish and British governments to cooperate on keeping a close an organisation like the 32CSM given the nature of the organisation. The fact that the 32CSM contends that the Irish and British governments are illegal would be reason enough to watch them carefully.
    im sure their are legal ways to bug certain people,but breaking into someones car,installing quite a large device that tracks a person with no links to any paramilitary group seems a bit strange...if they feel psf,rsf,32csm,irsp are dangerous why are they allowed to remain...

Perhaps there is enough evidence to warrant keeping an eye on them but not enough evidence to ban them? It's certainly not "strange", it's a logical step to take.
    i know for a fact 32 members are not in real ira...so what if they support the same aims,does this make a 32 a bomber...?no,these are innocent people being needlessy harrassed...you can't paint it however you like.

They don't need to be bombers to be suspect. Surveillance like this is not harassment.
    tyrone was just another example mate of how these people work.he applied ofr a list of his file from them,they wanted to annoy him and intimidate him so did this...

Again, you're talking about the actions of a police force in another state. Nothing to do with a bugging in this state.

Note: I'm not your mate. I don't even like being called that by my friends (one of them picked up the habit in London).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

A sophisticated bugging and tracking device has been unearthed in the vehicle of a member of the Dublin 32 County Sovereignty Movement. The device was secreted internally into the dashboard of the vehicle and was equipped with its own self contained power supply. The manner by which the device was installed strongly suggests that those who planted it took considerable time to effect this and was obviously professionally done. The device bears English Manufacturing Labels but as of yet it is uncertain whether it originates from a British, Irish or joint British/Irish intelligence source. Suffice to say that the unearthing of yet another intelligence gathering device clearly illustrates that the war against those who articulate the right of the Irish people to National Sovereignty continues in government(s) circles. The individual 32CSM member involved has sought legal advice on the matter. The 32CSM reiterates our call for all republicans to be diligent in the face of these insidious attempts to undermine the republican struggle. British Parliamentary activity in Ireland takes many forms.
    Dublin 32CSM 24/03/08

Rossibaby- attribute your source for the above post please.

Also, lol. Bugged by their cars anti-theft device! Most cunning indeed! I have tinfoil hats going cheap which the 32csm might be interested in. This week only!

What a bunch of clowns :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

A sophisticated bugging and tracking device has been unearthed in the vehicle of a member of the Dublin 32 County Sovereignty Movement.
    Good :D
    The device was secreted internally into the dashboard of the vehicle and was equipped with its own self contained power supply.
    Excellent :)
    The manner by which the device was installed strongly suggests that those who planted it took considerable time to effect this and was obviously professionally done.
    The Brits maybe ;)
    The device bears English Manufacturing Labels but as of yet it is uncertain whether it originates from a British, Irish or joint British/Irish intelligence source.
    Ah yes, those pesky Brits :)
    I thought you Suffice to say that the unearthing of yet another intelligence gathering device clearly illustrates that the war against those who articulate the right of the Irish people to National Sovereignty continues in government(s) circles.
    And thank God the surveillance/ intelligence war continues, otherwise .......... what do you want? another Omagh maybe? :mad:
    The individual 32CSM member involved has sought legal advice on the matter.
    Good for him :rolleyes:
    The 32CSM reiterates our call for all republicans to be diligent in the face of these insidious attempts to undermine the republican struggle. British Parliamentary activity in Ireland takes many forms.
    Dublin 32CSM 24/03/08

Well, all I can say is that 'Thank God' the security forces on both sides of the border are cooperating & keeping tags on these little buggers (freedom fighters) & their sad little ' republican struggle' against something that really only exists within their own little heads :confused:

The days of planting (or even planning) Bombs in the name of 'so called' Irish freedom are well & truly over, thanks to 9/11, so take a reality pill & expect every move made by the 32CSM to be infiltrated/ spied upon/ scrutinised/ bugged/ & surveyed for the good of the rest of us who want nothing to do with them or their movement.

Most of us voted for the GFA which recognises the North's right to exist within the UK ...............

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Nothing wrong with it...I wholeheartedly support whoever is bugging them.:)

32 county my a*se!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

So some guy in the 32CSM buys a used car with a tracker device fitted and it is a plot by MI6. I think the biggest issue here is the guys ego :D Hi didn't buy one of the 5000 cars that Thorn had fitted with the device did he?

this is ****ing hilarious stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭daithicarr

God whats the world comming to when dangerous fringe fanatic groups with no sense of reality cant go about plotting mass murder without being harassed by the security forces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

if more a pressure group and have been involved in anti-drug campaigns in the community and the like...
    By "the like", what is meant?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I'm very disappointed in the Gardai/Army G2. You'd expect that they'd do a better job of bugging, so that they weren't discovered. What are you paying your tax Euro for, damnit?

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

I don't think the 32CSM should be bugged

they should bugger off instead and take up knitting or something equally useful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Looks like you are not getting much sympathy or respect for your 32CSM here Rossibaby :D

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭daithicarr

ArthurF wrote: »
    Looks like you are not getting much sympathy or respect for your 32CSM here Rossibaby :D

Or anywhere . do they have eny elected representatives at any level north or south?

• Advertisement

daithicarr wrote: »
    Or anywhere . do they have eny elected representatives at any level north or south?

Well their constitution says:
    The 32 County Sovereignty Movement is not a political party, therefore will not contest elections.

so I guess it's going to stay that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

mate do you honestly believe the state and the authorities in the north always use honest methods to gather information?whether it's allowing hoods reign free to try and gather info on other hoods and pass a blind eye to their boys drug dealing or harassing republicans illegally.

OFFICIAL, PERFECTLY-OK-BY-ME METHOD, BUT FROWNED UPON BY ROSSIBABY:
    1. Apply for Search Warrant or Court Order
    2. State Case for Same, Detailing Concern Over Possible Terrorist Links
    3. Receive Go-Ahead

METHODS APPROVED AND USED BY ORGANISATIONS SUPPORTED BY 32CSM & SIMILAR ORGANISATIONS:
    1. Break Into House
    2. Kidnap Someone
    3. Threaten to Kneecap Them or Kill or Maim Their Relatives

I know which of those two methods I'd support.

Otherwise it's a case of kettle, pot. :rolleyes:

ArthurF wrote: »

im not a supporter of nor member of the 32s...

i didnt expect support on this west-brit forum nor did i crave it...its a discussion forum and i was willing to discuss it...but seems this board is very anti-republican and a perfectly LEGAL organisation should be constantly under surveillance from the gardai and psni in your eyes?i just don't get some people,they are blind to other points of view...alot of people here are very elitist and won't except other opinions...its like a dictatorship here with the mods hating everything republican ffs...its a discussion forum so please accept two points of view...than you.and conorirl i know your not my mate,and i doubt if you met me or republican activists like me you'd feel comfortable in the same room let alone be 'mates'.but don't worry you're on a level playing field and quite comfortable behind your pc.if people here have such strong political believes why dont you go out and do somethign about it,instead of venting frustration of unknown source to me on this yoke. i use the word mate sometimes, get over it,its not meant in the literal sense as im sure you'd claim to be intelligent enough to realise.

to answer another point made...the 32csm arent a political party,why would they be upset about missing out in elections they dont even stand in or want to.the ignorance here beggars belief.here i am defending and quoting policy of a movement that i dont even support:p

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    OFFICIAL, PERFECTLY-OK-BY-ME METHOD, BUT FROWNED UPON BY ROSSIBABY:
    1. Apply for Search Warrant or Court Order
    2. State Case for Same, Detailing Concern Over Possible Terrorist Links
    3. Receive Go-Ahead

METHODS APPROVED AND USED BY ORGANISATIONS SUPPORTED BY 32CSM & SIMILAR ORGANISATIONS:
    1. Break Into House
    2. Kidnap Someone
    3. Threaten to Kneecap Them or Kill or Maim Their Relatives

I know which of those two methods I'd support.

Otherwise it's a case of kettle, pot. :rolleyes:

the 32csm don't support those things?what are you talking about:o the 32csm and the RIRA are seperate...they are not like the provos and sinn fein even...please people educate yourselves before offering your expert opinion

a perfectly LEGAL organisation should be constantly under surveillance from the gardai and psni in your eyes?

If they are suspect and there is appropriate legal oversight, yes.

To take the political slant off it: would you support the surveillance of suspected drug dealers?
    i just don't get some people,they are blind to other points of view...alot of people here are very elitist and won't except other opinions...its like a dictatorship here with the mods hating everything republican ffs...its a discussion forum so please accept two points of view...

I don't think they/we're blind to the republican point of view and there is certainly more than one point of view here. You're still here aren't you? ;) They/We just find the (militant) republican point of view to be abhorrent/stupid/backward/wrong/unreasonable. (delete as appropriate).

It's hardly elitist to evaluate someone else's viewpoint, find it lacking and then reject it, is it?
    than you.and conorirl i know your not my mate,and i doubt if you met me or republican activists like me you'd feel comfortable in the same room let alone be 'mates'.

I used to work with (and got on reasonably well with) a Sinn Fein campaigner/proto-politician. We spent many a long hour in the same room and he didn't make me feel uncomfortable. (Yeah, yeah, I know it sounds exactly like the "but I have a friend that's gay" routine, if you don't believe me PM me and I'll give you the background.)
    but don't worry you're on a level playing field and quite comfortable behind your pc.

:rolleyes:
    if people here have such strong political believes why dont you go out and do somethign about it,instead of venting frustration of unknown source to me on this yoke.

I do, I vote. :D
    i use the word mate sometimes, get over it,its not meant in the literal sense as im sure you'd claim to be intelligent enough to realise.

I know it's not meant in the literal sense. Just when I hear (or read) it it makes me think of some cheesy, stereotypical cockney. It just grates on my nerves. Surely some people have habits that irritate you? Do you ask them to stop or do you just put up with it?
    here i am defending and quoting policy of a movement that i dont even support:p

In fairness, even I quoted from their constitution. :) As for defending them, I suspect you're doing it because you share at least some core values with them.

IRLConor wrote: »
    If they are suspect and there is appropriate legal oversight, yes.

To take the political slant off it: would you support the surveillance of suspected drug dealers?

I don't think they/we're blind to the republican point of view and there is certainly more than one point of view here. You're still here aren't you? ;) They/We just find the (militant) republican point of view to be abhorrent/stupid/backward/wrong/unreasonable. (delete as appropriate).

It's hardly elitist to evaluate someone else's viewpoint, find it lacking and then reject it, is it?

I used to work with (and got on reasonably well with) a Sinn Fein campaigner/proto-politician. We spent many a long hour in the same room and he didn't make me feel uncomfortable. (Yeah, yeah, I know it sounds exactly like the "but I have a friend that's gay" routine, if you don't believe me PM me and I'll give you the background.)

:rolleyes:

I do, I vote. :D

I know it's not meant in the literal sense. Just when I hear (or read) it it makes me think of some cheesy, stereotypical cockney. It just grates on my nerves. Surely some people have habits that irritate you? Do you ask them to stop or do you just put up with it?

In fairness, even I quoted from their constitution. :) As for defending them, I suspect you're doing it because you share at least some core values with them.

the only thing i have in common with the 32csm is that i am a republican socialist.but we differ greatly,first of all my party is marxist,the 32csm are not... the 32csm are linked to an active republican militant organisation....which i agree is backward and even harms republicanism because the people dont want it.my party disagrees fundamentally with the 32csm on this as our armed wing are on ceasefire for over ten years now.this is because we believe the people don't want armed resistance...do you see the major differences?
    i defend them because they have no members on here to fight their corner against what i see as many anti-republicans.you say people here are critical and analyse republican points and reject them...this is often not the case,when you brand active republicans murdering b******* and criminals who do it for their own gain and kill for fun,i must take exception to it.if people argue politically and not just call us backward thinking headcases then i will engage in that.
    but calling republican terrorists is not debating,its insulting.which is why i use terms such as west-brit to counteract it.even you can see the anti-republican sentiments for example,go to the eirigi thread and where a moderator questions in one of the opening posts should he let this thread get air time...that is censoring people's views,it's like a case of small man syndrome on a power trip...this is not a dictatorship...go look at the post:p

oo and btw, i wouldnt really regard PSF as republican,they are merely nationalist these days,but thats for anotehr day:-P

the only thing i have in common with the 32csm is that i am a republican socialist.but we differ greatly,first of all my party is marxist,the 32csm are not... the 32csm are linked to an active republican militant organisation....which i agree is backward and even harms republicanism because the people dont want it.my party disagrees fundamentally with the 32csm on this as our armed wing are on ceasefire for over ten years now.this is because we believe the people don't want armed resistance...do you see the major differences?

The core values I was talking about was the broad area of republicanism, not violent republicanism nor the other political differences. I didn't mean to imply that your sect was a violent one. I'm sorry if I caused offence. (Just to get things straight, you're in the IRSP right?)

That said, I do consider any party/movement with an "armed wing" (declared/admitted to or not) to be highly suspect even if the "armed wing" is on a ceasefire.
    i defend them because they have no members on here to fight their corner against what i see as many anti-republicans.

Since the 32CSM are so small I wouldn't expect them to have anyone here.

I'd say the breakdown here is roughly consistent with the makeup of the population. My gut feeling says that there are more socialists here than in the general population, but that could be a figment of my imagination.
    but calling republican terrorists is not debating,its insulting.

True, to a point.

"Republicans are all terrorists." -> False, insulting.
    "Many republicans condone at least some republican terrorist acts." -> Fair comment.
    which is why i use terms such as west-brit to counteract it.

:rolleyes: Two wrongs don't make a right.
    even you can see the anti-republican sentiments for example,go to the eirigi thread and where a moderator questions in one of the opening posts should he let this thread get air time...that is censoring people's views,it's like a case of small man syndrome on a power trip...this is not a dictatorship...go look at the post:p

Feedback is that way
    >

;)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

A clear message to Rossibaby and anyone else who feels like whining about people having the cheek to disagree with them: it's a discussion board. The fact that you're posting here negates your crap about it being biased.

If you have a problem with the way the forum is moderated, take it up elsewhere. Don't bring it up here again.

Back on topic: if the 32CSM are so paranoid they think they're being bugged by their own car alarm, I think the British and Irish security forces are the least of their worries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Glad to see the cops are still keeping an eye on these people.
    I love their attitude, half a dozen misfits think they have the right to speak on behalf of the Irish people.
    Go stand for election, if you or any of your fellow "freedom fighters" got more than a couple of votes id be surprised !!

I'll never forget the idiot I spotted a while back, he had tattoos all over his arms, all "Eire" and "freedom fighter" related ones. He also had a truck load of similar stickers all over the car.
    Oh, and a load of "Everton FC" stickers and flags to boot !!!

Muppets :-)

Advertisement