Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

not happy with car, comeback?

Options
  • 25-03-2008 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

hi all, i bought a VW Tiguan in January, its only the 1.4 version, at the time i fooled myself into thinking it would be a cheap car to run, however almost 3 months down the line, its a joke, i am spending over €120 a week for petrol, its an absolute guzzler, and i don't drive it on.

i had a GTI before hand, absolute biggest regret gettting rid of it, in comparison it cost me between €50 and €60 to run a week, driving same distances, surely i have some comeback?

these are the figures per VW.ie website.

Fuel Consumption (99/100/EG)
    Fuel type (Octane/CN) Premium 95 RON
    Urban [l/100 km] 10,6
    Extra-urban [l/100 km] 7
    Total [l/100 km] 8,4
    Emissions (CO2 / CH / HC + Nox/
    particulates) [g/km] 199 / 0,05 / - / -
    Exhaust emission classification Euro IV
    Power

and the TDI version:
    Fuel Consumption (99/100/EG)
    Fuel type (Octane/CN) Diesel min. 51 CZ
    Urban [l/100 km] 9,4
    Extra-urban [l/100 km] 5,9
    Total [l/100 km] 7,2
    Emissions (CO2 / CH / HC + Nox/
    particulates) [g/km] 189 / - / 0,19 / 0
    Exhaust emission classification Euro 4 Plus

having being advised to go for the TDI version, i decided against it based on figures above, as it was a relatively new car to the market.

please ignore my ignorance on this, advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

There may be something wrong with it, I'd be amazed if it was less economical than the Gti, even though it's a bit heavier and a smaller engine so it's going to have to work a fair bit harder.

Either that or you are driving it like the Gti and it's not able for it.

Thats scary fuel consumption! Ferrari like consumption (bassed on the rough figures if you are driving the same amount as you did in the Gti), there has to be something wrong maybe with the oxygen sensor or the super/turbo charger, bring it back to the garage and have it checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Get the car hooked up to a diagnostic computer. Spending €120 a week on fuel for a 1.4 litre sounds wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

what sort of mileage are you doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

Did you read the above info correctly?
    The lower l'100km the better, the higher mpg figure the better

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Ermmm give us the hard facts.

Mileage per week or your MPG.....120e /week might be fine if your travelling 600 miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Is your car achieving anywhere near the stated mpg l/100km for the 1.4 model???

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭podgee

OP - I can empathise with your situation. Presumably its the TSI model.

I have the exact issue (i.e. excessive petrol consumption) with our 1.4TSI VW. Have you relied on the computer only to give you your MPG or have you brim filled it and tested it yourself ? This was the first question I was asked by the dealer - I did the brim fill test and yielded the same results as the computer - am currently awaiting news from the dealer as to what they suggest the next step is.

Is the Tiguan manual or DSG ?

Cheers
    Podge

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭newme2006

thanks all for your replies, indeed leon your right, i did not read this right, however i have checked out my gti, it has a combined l/100 of 8, surely this means both cars should run the same on fuel?

as regards mileage i'm doing, i do approx i'm doing about 300 miles per week.

a detailed week as regards consumption is as follows:

thurs: €67.60 fill (i always fill to the brim)
    thurs: 50 miles
    Fri: 60 miles
    Sat: 60 miles
    Sun: 80 miles
    Mon: 60 miles
    tues: 40 miles
    €67.00 fill
    Tues: 40 miles
    wed: 80 miles
    thurs: 80 miles
    fri: none
    sat: 30 miles
    sun: 80 miles
    mon: 15 miles
    €67.00 fill

i should mention that petrol cost p/l is approx €1.15 here.

as regards comment re driving it like a gti, i suppose its possible but i never really drove the GTI that hard either, although obviously even i notice a considerable difference between the 2 cars, but then one is built for performance. i don't go over 60 mph, i have precious cargo, by way of a little boy, hence the reason for the "practical grown up car". (with 4 doors! :))

sorry its a manual, also where would i find details of what mpg it should do? i don't see it the tech specs, however, i have already proved my inability to read these :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,858 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

What type of driving is it? At that mielage i presume a decent amount of motorway?

according to this site - http://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php you are getting about 27/28 MPG, which works out at 9.71L/100km which would be just under the Urban figures for your car.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Detail.aspx?deriv=38483 gives the MPG figure for your car at 33mpg, so you are not drastically under the average for your car, but enough to be annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Off the top of my head, that's in or around 12l/100kms. Sounds a bit heavy to me. What kind of driving are you doing? Have you brought the car back to the dealer yet? And what kind of a GTI was using under 6l/100kms under the same conditions??

that sounds like a ridiculous amount of money for that amount of mileage.
    I do 500 miles a week (monday to friday) and it costs me around €60 in my 1.2 clio.
    400 miles to a tank which I filled today for €52 @ 1.20/litre

I'm currently in the market for a 1.9tdi as after decussions with my brother (he has an Audi A4 TDI) I realised that he gets 700 miles to a tank which take €70 to fill.
    Just seems to make sense to change.

There has to be something wrong with your car??
    €120 for 300 miles??
    That CAN'T be right

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ShayK1 wrote: »
    There has to be something wrong with your car??
    €120 for 300 miles??
    That CAN'T be right
    According to his figures, the OP's paying €67 for 325-350 miles.

thanks again,

anan, i def have a rosier view of the GTI v Tiguan, it was def cheaper for me to run v tiguan, but will agree to saying perhaps, my daily commute was shorter by 20 miles (childminder), i had forgotten this, however this was 3 days a week max, so arguably 60 miles difference.

in my ignorance, i had assumed a smaller fuel bill, attached to a smaller engine, of course common sense should have told me, that such a small engine pulling a larger vehicle, would hardly work.

agree with TDI comment, my partner has a 1.9 TDI Caddy, he actually thought there might be something up with it as he hardly ever has to fill it up, he laughs at my fuel consumption.

as regards bringing it back to the dealer i haven't as yet. judging by comments perhaps i should.

thanks all.

Anan1 wrote: »
    According to his figures, the OP's paying €67 for 325-350 miles.

aaahhh thats a bit more realistic...

I just looked at this
    i am spending over €120 a week for petrol

and this
    i'm doing about 300 miles per week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

do you use all your gears when driving? I only ask becasue my g/f never uses 5th even when on a motorway.

i go all the way to 6th gear and stay there as much as possible! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

I pay €73ish to fill the tank on my 11 year old 1.8 Volvo V40 - That's 60L @ €1.21/L. In urban driving I'll get around 350-375 miles to a tank, brim to brim, carrying about 100kg's of kit in the boot . That' goes up to 470 on longer motorway/rural runs....

I'm unhappy about the mileage I get so you must be well unhappy. :o

I've asked a friend who's driving a late '07 1.4 TSi Golf and he says the mileage you're getting is about on par with his own cars consumption on mixed urban/rural around the greater Cork city area. If that's the case, and considering the size of the Tiguan, you're doing okay against what you could realistically expect from it, I'd guess.

Gil

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

newme2006 wrote: »
    thurs: 50 miles
    Fri: 60 miles
    Sat: 60 miles
    Sun: 80 miles
    Mon: 60 miles
    tues: 40 miles
    €67.00 fill

That's roughly 27MPG or 10l/100km. About what I'd expect. It is a SUV (bad aerodynamics) that weighs more than 1.5 tonnes and has permanent 4WD after all

The diesel would have been a lot more frugal though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

unkel wrote: »
    That's roughly 27MPG or 10l/100km. About what I'd expect. It is a SUV (bad aerodynamics) that weighs more than 1.5 tonnes and has permanent 4WD after all

It still sounds fairly bad. We've a 2 litre petrol CR-V (bad aerodynamics, 4WD (part-time) and about about the same weight) and average about 26mpg on town driving but can do 32mpg on long runs. But we've a whole 600cc odd more up front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

jayok wrote: »
    But we've a whole 600cc odd more up front.

But the VW has a turbo. Power is about the same iirc and I don't think the CR-V is quite as heavy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

have a 1.4 TSi myself and try to keep the revs as close to 1500 as much as possible anything above that and the car eats petrol am getting around 30mpg from it at the mo or 10l/100km

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Brand new cars can be a little thirsty.

I notice they start to improve mpg as the miles go on.
    At about 1k miles my 1.8 Tdci Mondeo went from 38mpg when new , to a more reasonable 43. (fair bit of urban driving)
    Focus ST went from 23 , to 26 after a few weeks also.

Has it improved at all since you bought it?

Advertisement