Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanks for...

Options
  • 25-03-2008 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭

Is there any interest in having categories for the new thanks system? I am thinking something similar to what slashdot uses.
    e.g.
    Thanks for a funny post.
    Thanks for an informative post.
    Thanks for an insightful post.

As an example:

http://developers.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=498250&cid=22854490

I find it useful when i'm reading a lot of comments and I scan for the high rated ones because I don't always have time to read them all. If i'm looking for information i'll read the informative ones, something humerous i'll read the funny ones or some profound wisdom i'll read the insightful ones. It would be useful in longer threads and threads with long posts. It would also be nice to know[as a poster] what you're being thanked for. :)
    Dunno if it would be difficult to add it in or if it would cause problems for boards, these are things for CuLT to determine if there's any interest.
    Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

thanks for an insightful post!

sounds interesting. wouldn't like it to go the way of digg though where posts are hidden if they aren't found to be useful by users. (but i know you weren't suggesting that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

We would be meandering down the road toward a karma system, were we to implement this, I think.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Good idea I think. You see posts being thanked and you wonder why. I've thanked posters (and posts) for being helpful or funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The forum you linked to had more of a thread level rating than a type of thanks that you are suggesting. Not that either is a bad idea, but I don't know if both could work together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

feylya wrote: »
    Good idea I think. You see posts being thanked and you wonder why. I've thanked posters (and posts) for being helpful or funny.

I've been thanking people for wasting my time in a sarcastic manner... it probably doesn't come across though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sounds like a decent enough idea.

Could be as simple as;

Thanks from: monkeyfudge (funny), DeVore (insightful), Pighead (informative)

As well as those three types of thanks, it could be handy to have "Helpful", as helpful posts aren't always informative or insightful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I still haven't thanked anyone yet. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, but I think there's still a bit of work to be done before it works well, maybe what the OP mentions, maybe something else.

But until I think it's working/ someone posts something truly worthy of my thanks, then I shall remain an ungrateful bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

I think OP's idea is an excellent one.

The current "thanks" system is definitely missing something ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

What about 'arousing'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

I still think it smacks of lick@rsery meself.

Peared wrote: »
    I still think it smacks of lick@rsery meself.
    Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Cos already Ive seen very average posts thanked cos the user is well known/liked. I dont really see the purpose to it tbh. I could understand if it was used to rate the post in some way.

Anyway. Meh.

Not massively bothered, just an observation.

Its better now its not plastered all over the place anyways.

Cos already Ive seen very average posts thanked cos the user is well known/liked. I dont really see the purpose to it tbh. I could understand if it was used to rate the post in some way.

Anyway. Meh.

Yeah they've fiddled with it to make it quite tolerable, unlike when it was first implemented.

It can be useful, the (funny), (informative) etc stuff could be very useful, as is the posts just show up as thanked but without reason. You can hit search and you'll see all the thanked posts, fwiw.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

don't forget..."thanks"

being sarcastic makes me feel like a big man.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

seamus wrote: »

Could be as simple as;

That would work - but one more would be perfect:

Thanks from: monkeyfudge (funny), DeVore (insightful), Pighead , seamus (for nuthin')

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Don't wanna hijack your thread but since it's about the Thanking system I thought it better than creating a new thread.
    I was wondering if you could have a count of your posts that have been thanked by people. It could be in your control panel maybe and a quick link to the post in question so you can see the posts you made that helped another user out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Don't wanna hijack your thread but since it's about the Thanking system I thought it better than creating a new thread.
    I was wondering if you could have a count of your posts that have been thanked by people. It could be in your control panel maybe and a quick link to the post in question so you can see the posts you made that helped another user out.
    Check your user profile. It's there/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

kaimera wrote: »
    Check your user profile. It's there/

Oh score :)
    :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Hennessy

Sangre wrote: »
    don't forget..."thanks"

Me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

thanks for an insightful post!

sounds interesting. wouldn't like it to go the way of digg though where posts are hidden if they aren't found to be useful by users. (but i know you weren't suggesting that)
    Indeed, the ignore list is there anyway for hiding posts by undesirables. :pac:
    We would be meandering down the road toward a karma system, were we to implement this, I think.
    I believe that's an issue for the thanks system as a whole, not what I proposed. I think it's been well dealt with anyway by only showing the totals in your profile.
    feylya wrote: »
    I've been thanking people for wasting my time in a sarcastic manner... it probably doesn't come across though.
    Sangre wrote: »
    don't forget..."thanks"

These are exactly the reasons I proposed it. The different types of thanks are subject to debate and not just the ones I suggested for examples.
    eoin_s wrote: »
    The forum you linked to had more of a thread level rating than a type of thanks that you are suggesting. Not that either is a bad idea, but I don't know if both could work together.
    Again just as a general idea of the way it would look. I'm not suggesting rating posts[something which was discussed before] but just defining what type of thanks has been given.
    seamus wrote: »

Could be as simple as;

As well as those three types of thanks, it could be handy to have "Helpful", as helpful posts aren't always informative or insightful :)
    Indeed. Can be as simple as that and of course helpful could be a category. I thought to include helpful when I originally posted.
    I still haven't thanked anyone yet. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, but I think there's still a bit of work to be done before it works well, maybe what the OP mentions, maybe something else.

But until I think it's working/ someone posts something truly worthy of my thanks, then I shall remain an ungrateful bastard.
    Yes you're right, there aren't too many thanked posts yet. Have only thanked a small few myself. This may help clear up why thanks have been given and lead to more thanks left.

Anyway. Meh.

This is an issue for the thanks system as a whole. It may settle down after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Sherifu wrote: »
    Again just as a general idea of the way it would look. I'm not suggesting rating posts[something which was discussed before] but just defining what type of thanks has been given.

Personally I would find post level rating more useful than the Thanks system...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement