Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lay of the Day

Options
  • 25-03-2008 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

Dansimar is running today at 2:20 in Fontwell. He's trading at 1.33 at the mo for a lay, there are 10 horses running & in my opinion well worth a flutter...

€33 Liability = €100 profit

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Are you planning on laying the field?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I have no idea what you mean! Sorry - Laying the field? (not to good on the HR lingo)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I would not be the best at the laying side of things so I thought you might be laying the whole field

Are you planning on just laying Dansimar ? What stake? ??:)

I would not be the best at the laying side of things so I thought you might be laying the whole field

Are you planning on just laying Dansimar ? What stake? ??:)

Two plonkers eh! -Just getting into the laying myself, it seems pretty handy actually, low stakes & high wins...

He's trading on BF at 1.31 to win and 1.32 to lay... So if I want to win 100euro I'll bet 32euro, if that makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Did a little bet on it, nothing crazy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

He is basically betting for the horse to lose, been the bookie!!

So taking someone elses money if the horse loses...

But to suggest that its worth a flutter because Dansimar is running in a 10 horse race doesnt merit "Lay of the Day"

@ 1.31ish there generally a good reason for such a short price :D

I feel like a total Betfair n00b!

I am totally lost by this!

How can you win 100 for the lay? You will be only risking 32??

I feel like a total Betfair n00b!

I am totally lost by this!

How can you win 100 for the lay? You will be only risking 32??

Basically, the horse is ~1/3 to win.

That means it is ~3/1 that the horse won't win.

So essentially you are offering people odds of 1/3 on that horse. If €100 worth of bets are placed, and the horse wins, you have to pay out €32. If not, the money is his.

So is he staking €100 or €32???

So is he staking €100 or €32???

He is staking €100 for the horse to win,

If it wins he will return €132 (his 100 plus your 32), you will be down €32

If the horse loses he will lose his €100, you will be up €100

• Advertisement

Also Betfair "Commission" will have to be taken into account too... lol :D

thewools wrote: »
    He is staking €100 for the horse to win,

If it wins he will return €132 (his 100 plus your 32), you will be down €32

If the horse loses he will lose his €100, you will be up €100

Thats not what I understand from it. He is risking €32 to win €100 potentially. He will lose €32 if the horse wins.

I bet on it and will lose €3.20 if the horse wins. If it doesn't, I'll win around €10.

Your confusing me now... lol

Read my post again... (He = other betfair trader / backer); (You = me / layer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The nag is 1.25 on PP I would not risk it go e/w on Aya.

Mike.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Thats not what I understand from it. He is risking €32 to win €100 potentially. He will lose €32 if the horse wins.

I bet on it and will lose €3.20 if the horse wins. If it doesn't, I'll win around €10.

Bang on! - Just watch it in running and trade out if it goes to 4 or 5...

Do you all have the "Show profit & Loss" and the "what if" turned on in BF ? It's really handy for trading out of bets.. (should look like pic)

image1ly8.jpg

I think I get ye now!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

jameshayes wrote: »
    Dansimar is running today at 2:20 in Fontwell. He's trading at 1.33 at the mo for a lay, there are 10 horses running & in my opinion well worth a flutter...

The only reason I can see as being put forward to lay this horse is that the horse is outnumbered?
    Is this really the case being put forward?

yip, no form taken into consideration, no info regarding ground, trip etc etc... the horse racing forum would not take this one too kind!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

thewools wrote: »
    yip, no form taken into consideration, no info regarding ground, trip etc etc... the horse racing forum would not take this one too kind!!! :rolleyes:

Ongoing debate about this thorny topic. I'm one who have Horse Racing Tips in the Horse Racing Forum (imagine) but I keep getting shouted down on this.

In this Forum nobody puts up a sports bet without some consideration or the reasons given but this rule does not apply to Horse Racing tips given by the same people.

I hope the lads win money on this but I just would like the continuing dumbing down of this Forum to stop.

Ah balls

• Advertisement

Won by like 20 lenghts! Aye in 2nd! Lucky only lost 3quid!

:rolleyes: lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well I made money! :) Shudda put the house on him.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

:eek: the 1/4 favourite Dansimar romped home! I guess it was 1/4 for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,385 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

To make the bet profitable, the horse has to lose 25% of the time or more, doesn't seam too bad, esp given the size of the field. When a favourite goes very strong like this more money goes on, making it shorter again,

Just because he won, doesn't mean the bet was good or bad.

Bet Angel is perfect for bets like this, one-click to place a bet/lay. Highly recommended, and the basic software is free.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Bet Angel is perfect for bets like this, one-click to place a bet/lay. Highly recommended, and the basic software is free.
    It looks pretty good. Must check it out at home later. Cheers

Advertisement